Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Son Volt

Featured Replies

Anybody going to the Louisville show on Saturday night at Headliners?

 

The Friday night show at Southgate House in Newport has sold out.

 

I sorta figured that it would, and since it was posted months ago, I had plenty of time to secure a ticket, but I didn't.

 

I'll live I suppose.

 

Saw them a few times back in the early part of their career...

 

Great memorable show on their first release at Top Cats, then as the warm up for John Mellencamp at Riverbend where the audience paid no attention to them, and then on their second release at Bogarts where Jay sounded either burnt out or drunk as every tune was performed at a very depressing slower tempo than the originals.

 

I still dig their sound, and they bring back great club show memories. I imagine that the show will feel like an alt-country reunion where I'd likely bump into club goers from 20 some odd years ago.

I was supposed to go with a buddy to the Headliner's show last night but couldn't make it as I've been fighting with a pulled muscle in my back.

 

Would have loved to go, but I have already seen them a half-dozen times, including the two shows @B-Ball-fan mentioned. Still would have been nice to hear "Tear-Stained Eye" one more time in concert.

 

Saw SV open for Petty once as well.

  • Author
I was supposed to go with a buddy to the Headliner's show last night but couldn't make it as I've been fighting with a pulled muscle in my back.

 

Would have loved to go, but I have already seen them a half-dozen times, including the two shows @B-Ball-fan mentioned. Still would have been nice to hear "Tear-Stained Eye" one more time in concert.

 

Saw SV open for Petty once as well.

 

Love that tune. The lead off track on Trace "Windfall" is another gem and the part where he says:

 

Switching it over to AM


Searching for a truer sound


Can't recall the call letters


Steel guitar and settle down

Catching an all-night station somewhere in Louisiana


It sounds like 1963, but for now it sounds like heaven

 

Stands as one of my all time favorite lyrics where it just wonderfully paints a feeling.

 

It's been forever since I've spinned the 2nd release "Straightaways", and I'm interested in how I'd view it now. In the past I too often wanted sophomore efforts to be a repeat of 1st release greatness where sometimes it's hard to live up to that. With all these years past I'll probably be able to now listen without comparing them and let it stand on its own.

 

Curious which two shows you and I both attended:

 

Top Cats?

Riverbend?

Bogarts?

 

 

For me nothing lived up to the Top Cats show as you could tell that they were excited to share their sound, and the audience was digging it.

 

At Riverbend the Mellencamp audience just wouldn't settle in to give them a fair listen which pretty much ruined the vibe. It was mainstream meets alt-country and we all know that the mainstream isn't too keen to expand their taste with something that hadn't been anointed by corporate radio... and their delivery was just off and dragging at the Bogarts show like they were either tired of touring, or maybe just burnt out and bored playing the same material night after night.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.