Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7th Region Bracket

Featured Replies

I understand where you are coming from but the rest of the world does it and we have yet to catch up to them.

Yeah but development is not really a focal point of high school soccer. The way the season is structured doesn't really allow it. Sub limitations make little sense to me at the youth level except at real elite levels of play (ie DAs). Otherwise I don't get it. Kids want to play (and should) and substitution rules mean more kids play less.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where you are coming from but the rest of the world does it and we have yet to catch up to them.

 

From what I read the "rest of the world" is not united in using the FIFA 7 rule (no re-entry per half, max of 18 players on the game day roster) in their countries youth's league. You can't assume when looking at other countries youth national teams competition that their leagues are conducted in the same manner. Youth soccer leagues in comparison to youth international or DA can be very different in a number of ways.

 

One thing a lot of S American and Euro countries do differently then the US, they put much, much more emphasis on player development Vs winning during their players youth playing days. In this vein I completely agree "we have yet to catch up to them." And sadly, I'm not sure we ever will.

From what I read the "rest of the world" is not united in using the FIFA 7 rule (no re-entry per half, max of 18 players on the game day roster) in their countries youth's league. You can't assume when looking at other countries youth national teams competition that their leagues are conducted in the same manner. Youth soccer leagues in comparison to youth international or DA can be very different in a number of ways.

 

One thing a lot of S American and Euro countries do differently then the US, they put much, much more emphasis on player development Vs winning during their players youth playing days. In this vein I completely agree "we have yet to catch up to them." And sadly, I'm not sure we ever will.

I've actually met enough people from foreign countries, 'partly Europe admittedly, that don't understand our re-entry policy on subs. They use FIFA laws even in high school soccer.

Yeah but development is not really a focal point of high school soccer. The way the season is structured doesn't really allow it. Sub limitations make little sense to me at the youth level except at real elite levels of play (ie DAs). Otherwise I don't get it. Kids want to play (and should) and substitution rules mean more kids play less.

I agree which is why I said it shouldn't be used in high school. If you want to play "competitive" soccer, you need to compete for your spot to play.

I agree which is why I said it shouldn't be used in high school. If you want to play "competitive" soccer, you need to compete for your spot to play.

Ok, but what are you classifying as "competitive" soccer. The majority of the club soccer I see around KY is not very high level, but it is still expensive. So you have families paying $1000/season for mediocre soccer but their kid hardly plays? I wouldn't agree with that. At the elite levels, ok. But to be honest, there are no elite levels in KY.

Ok, but what are you classifying as "competitive" soccer. The majority of the club soccer I see around KY is not very high level, but it is still expensive. So you have families paying $1000/season for mediocre soccer but their kid hardly plays? I wouldn't agree with that. At the elite levels, ok. But to be honest, there are no elite levels in KY.

And thus my point is made. Why should players or parents be involved in clubs charging ridiculous fees when all they want to do is play? Let's not kid ourselves that most of them will not play beyond high school. Play rec, it is much cheaper.

And thus my point is made. Why should players or parents be involved in clubs charging ridiculous fees when all they want to do is play? Let's not kid ourselves that most of them will not play beyond high school. Play rec, it is much cheaper.

 

Because coaches/trainers need money, otherwise they'd have to get real jobs. The single biggest impediment to growing the USA into a soccer power is the cost of youth soccer.

Because coaches/trainers need money, otherwise they'd have to get real jobs. The single biggest impediment to growing the USA into a soccer power is the cost of youth soccer.

That sounds like a problem for the coaches and clubs. Not for parents and players that wise up to wasting money.

If you want to play club soccer you have no choice but to pay the piper. One of the reasons that KYSA is ratcheting up the coaching license requirements is to limit the pool of people that can coach. Supply/Demand = $

If you want to play club soccer you have no choice but to pay the piper. One of the reasons that KYSA is ratcheting up the coaching license requirements is to limit the pool of people that can coach. Supply/Demand = $

Again I get that. But I have to ask why play club soccer and pay all the money for marginal benefit at most. Playing D4 level select in the lowest caliber league doesn't seem to be worth the money

Again I get that. But I have to ask why play club soccer and pay all the money for marginal benefit at most. Playing D4 level select in the lowest caliber league doesn't seem to be worth the money

 

Most kids (on the boys side) play club soccer because they want to play high school soccer and if they are going to be in a competitive program in high school, it's almost required. Club soccer is fine but I just feel the cost is way too high but really, choices are very limited. There are not many rec leagues or teams for 15-17 year old boys.

Most kids (on the boys side) play club soccer because they want to play high school soccer and if they are going to be in a competitive program in high school, it's almost required. Club soccer is fine but I just feel the cost is way too high but really, choices are very limited. There are not many rec leagues or teams for 15-17 year old boys.

That's a fairly recent thing though. Ask most of the adults that played as kids and see if they had rec program for that age growing up.

And thus my point is made. Why should players or parents be involved in clubs charging ridiculous fees when all they want to do is play? Let's not kid ourselves that most of them will not play beyond high school. Play rec, it is much cheaper.

Not sure what your point is. I agree club costs are way too high, and a lot of club soccer is not very high level. But there is still a HUGE difference between low level club and recreational soccer. Majority of the kids who play club at any level get significantly better during their high school careers. Not so much for rec players.

Not sure what your point is. I agree club costs are way too high, and a lot of club soccer is not very high level. But there is still a HUGE difference between low level club and recreational soccer. Majority of the kids who play club at any level get significantly better during their high school careers. Not so much for rec players.

 

That is the point though. The cause of the lower rec caliber is because those that would have played rec in the past now just shell out money for glorified competitive rec. High cost low return.

Well not really. Rec is rec, and always will be. The coaching/training has never been very good for rec soccer. That level will always be the same. You can have some better competition if some of those kids chose rec instead of club, but my argument would be those kids would develop at a much higher rate playing club (even at a low level) than they would on a rec team. Cost is definitely a problem. Not arguing that at all. Part of that is how much tournaments are costing these days though. But the majority of kids do develop at a higher rate on a club team than on a rec team. I don't think that is very debatable.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.