Rules Question

Guest BBParent

Guest BBParent

At the High School level, is there a restricted area in the paint/under the basket where a defensive player cannot take a charge? Obviously at the NBA and college level, there is the semi-circle that defines the area. To all the officials out there, how are you trained to deal with this situation?

What is the current definition of a palming violation - seems like kids are allowed to create an offensive advantage, and it is not called a violation as often as it should be.

Do you ever observe the principle of verticality, and give the defender the benefit of the doubt, or is the offensive player always given the benefit? I often hear officials say, "the defender was moving" In my understanding of the rule, a defender can be going backwards or sideways, and take a charge.

Just looking for some of our rules experts to weigh in here.....

There is no area on the floor where a PC foul is ignored.

Palming definition has to do with the ball coming to rest.

Rulebook addresses "principle of verticality." It gets missed.

A player can be moving backwards and still be in legal guarding position. Same with moving sideways.

LGP is key.

You are a saying that a defender can stand directly under the basket, and if an offensive player crashes through the defender, it should be called a charge. An official cannot say, "the defensive player was too far under the basket...." and be correct according to the rule book.

You are a saying that a defender can stand directly under the basket, and if an offensive player crashes through the defender, it should be called a charge. An official cannot say, "the defensive player was too far under the basket...." and be correct according to the rule book.

100% saying that. It's not in the rulebook.

It's the rule but some officials will say that.

There is no area on the floor where a PC foul is ignored.

Palming definition has to do with the ball coming to rest.

Rulebook addresses "principle of verticality." It gets missed.

A player can be moving backwards and still be in legal guarding position. Same with moving sideways.

LGP is key.

Legal guarding position on block/charge calls is missed almost as much as the verticality rule. Referees have a tough job and I don't want it, but those two calls need to be handled better.

I had the exact situation this past weekend in Indy. My player took a charge in the lane, but was called for a block. The official said, "he was in good position but he was too far under the basket" I tried to explain that under NFHS rules, there is no requirement for the defender to not be under the basket. But, what do I know? I am just a coach. :)

I had the exact situation this past weekend in Indy. My player took a charge in the lane, but was called for a block. The official said, "he was in good position but he was too far under the basket" I tried to explain that under NFHS rules, there is no requirement for the defender to not be under the basket. But, what do I know? I am just a coach. :)

Even though the rule has no requirement for the defender to not be under the basket, I suspect the ref felt the player had left floor before the player was set under the basket. If contact is made right under the basket, the offensive player is likely on his way down and had left the floor several strides away. From a timing perspective, I think refs just assume the player under the basket was never in position before the player left the floor. Your situation may have been different, but I think that is why you see that call a block often when directly below the basket.