Knox Central 2013/2014

First team thread I'm starting, so I wanted to shake it up and do something different. One constant though: PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE.

Knox Central is one of the favorites in the 13th. With the defections at Clay County and Harlan County, they are probably more of a firm preseason #1.

The Panthers will have one of the best players in the region running the show in two-sport standout Matt Barger. He's joined in the backcourt by Jeremy Adams, whose quite the sniper from distance. The pair of Juniors will be joined by returning sophomore big Chad Marsee, who saw starting action in the post last year.

While other teams at the top of the 13th lost talent (i.e., North Laurel losing Jake Allen to Clay County, Clay County losing Tyler “Chip” McDaniel to golf in Hilton Head, and Harlan County losing Tyler Miller to Harlan Independent), Knox Central gained it. Sources say that an athletic kid in the 6’2 range has transferred in, and given the circumstances, I would expect him to be eligible.

The last three years, Central has lost to Bell County in the regional semis, North Laurel in the regional semis, and North Laurel in the first round of regionals. Having not played in a regional final might be something that haunts Knox Central, as the atmosphere and intensity of a one and done game is unlike any other. The going trend is for teams to come up short in the regional final before winning the next year (North Laurel in 2012 and Clay County in 2013).

Some Questions:

• With the coaching situation in a state of flux for most of the summer, have the Panthers put the adversity behind them?

• How was summer ball handled and organized?

• What type of impact will the new addition to the roster have and how do his talents enhance those of his teammates?

• Are there any other players who’ll be expected to step up and fill a role?

• How will the expectations and suddenly being considered the favorites effect their psyche after an offseason of highs and lows?

• But obviously, the biggest question is whether or not Knox Central can get over the hump this year and win the 13th?