East (7th/8th regions) 120 vs West (5th/6th regions) 92

East boys romp

By Michael Grant

July 20, 2008

It was a display of sheer dominance on the boys' side and a nailbiter for the girls in the Kentucky High School Coaches Association/Gatorade East/West Junior All-Star Games last night.

The East boys cruised 120-92 in a showcase of area seniors-to-be at Bellarmine University's Knights Hall. It ran out to an 18-3 lead and never looked back, leading by 19 points in the first half and 31 in the second.

"I enjoyed it," said East coach Jimmy Just of Manual. "The kids played real hard. I don't know if anything is really ever easy, but the kids, with the way they played, made it look easier than it was.

"I thought the kids took shots when they were open. They played together. They hit people when they were open. They did what we asked them to do for the most part in an all-star game. It was fun to watch."

The East roster included some of the top players in the Seventh and Eighth regions, and the West had some of the best from the Fifth and Sixth. Jacob Jenkins of Manual showed off his skills with 22 points for the East.

"We had confidence," he said. "We all knew what we were capable of. We just had to go out there and show it."

Chris Dowe of Eastern added 21 points, including five of the East's 15 three-pointers. Troy Weatherford of Atherton and Eric Dunlap of Oldham County his back-to-back threes to make it 18-3 midway through the first quarter.

Jordan Bramblett of North Hardin led the West with 21 points, including five of the team's 13 threes.

Box Score

West...92

Ballou 10, Fudge 1, Cox 10, Hickman 8, Linder 5, Bramblett 21, Browning 4, Mack 5, Hazelwood 3, Clemons 9, Kelty 6, Moore 10.

East...120

Bell 4, Weatherford 8, Cox 10, Dowe 21, Little 11, Jenkins 22, Mason 5, Penny 13, Dunlap 12, Kraemer 5, Gamble 3, Tingle 6.

3-Point Goals - Cox 2, Hickman 2, Linder 1, Bramblett 5, Mack 1, Hazelwood 1, Clemons 1, Weatherford 2, Dowe 5, Little 1, Jenkins 2, Mason 1, Dunlap 2, Gamble 1, Penny 1.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080720/SPORTS05/807200610/1002/SPORTS

I believe he had minor knee surgery a couple of weeks ago.

That is correct.

I think the bigger story here is how a FOUR REGION All-star Game thread has barely 100 hits on BGP. Wonder if it included a certain region if it'd be on its 7th page with over 3,000 hits by now.