New Owensboro High Coach

Rod Drake, former player and assisiant coach at Owensboro has been named new coach at Owensboro High School. This man has paid his dues and will bring some tradition back to Owensboro. An All American while playing for Kentucky Weselyan in the early 80's, Coach Drake will bring much needed stability to a program rich in tradition, but 3 coaches in the last 5 years have some question the program. A classy gentleman, on and off the coach, with a work ethic and basketball IQ that can match any new coach. Having play against a few times ( yeah he pretty much dominated ), I can tell I am glad to see him back to head the red and black. Congrats to Coach Rod Drake.:dancingpa

Seems like a great choice but hard to knock Breeden who took them to state

Not sure what knock you are making reference to. No question Breeden took them to state and was a fine coach we lost as well. You could say the same for Stinnett before him who also took them to state. What I am saying is Drake will not be a coach that will be leaving anytime soon.

I wasnt saying knock really- just that some programs that are bigger like Owensboro get high profile coaches like Breeden and have a higher turnover but still reach the goal everyone wants- Rupp. I am not sure a turnover every now and then isnt good for some programs but you are correct stability and someone who loves the program is always a plus- sorry I took things the wrong way.

I wasnt saying knock really- just that some programs that are bigger like Owensboro get high profile coaches like Breeden and have a higher turnover but still reach the goal everyone wants- Rupp. I am not sure a turnover every now and then isnt good for some programs but you are correct stability and someone who loves the program is always a plus- sorry I took things the wrong way.

Its all good. Unless you are from Owensboro and played or followed basketball in the past, it would be difficult to understand the impact a guy like Rod Drake has especially with the younger players he has worked with and who gone on to play for someone other than Drake. I do agree with your statement about coach turnover when needed, however way too much for this school and its tradition.