Russell: Meet the Devils

Cubster

How did the team look last night?

Overall, I give them a grade of "B" right now. There were definetly some bright spots. Will Rice look very good running the FB. For that fact, all 3 "projected" first string backs ran the ball well. Sophomores Max Rogers and Travis Jones, looked very good playing in the secondary. I could see them getting some playing time this year on defense.

QB's Jones and Cordle both threw the ball well. Receivers dropped a couple, but also made a couple of nice catches. Our o-line and d-lines were divided up for the scrimmage, so it wasn't a good test as to how well they'll play as a unit. Hicks played center intead of tackle on one team. Foster was back at guard and opened some nice holes. Evan Boyd and Joey Roark played really well at linebacker on their teams. Cumpston and Cornwell also did a good job.

As for the kicking game, Dolly made all of his PAT's and even made a 42 yarder. His kickoffs were going to the 10 yard line consistently. Freshman Tanner Locey also made his PAT's.

The "B" grade was simply because of not seeing the entire units together. But I am very encouraged at the "newcomers" to the first unit at this point, and look forward to seeing them saturday against Spring Valley.

The good news was that no one got hurt or dehyrdated and there was a good crowd there considering the heat.