Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1st Region: Week 1

Featured Replies

The 1st Region has a Holiday Treat for you on Thursday night.  The #1 Mustangs travel to Reed Conder to take on the #2 Marshals!  I think I give a slight edge to the Mustangs based on their balanced scoring attack, but Matthew Langhi is a force to be reckoned with.  Reed Conder is one of the nicest gyms in Western Kentucky.  But, if you can't make the trip I'm pretty sure that Marshall will stream the game on YouTube.  The game is Thursday night at 7:30 CST.

I'm already struggling with my rankings 4 through 9.  Could the number 9 team knock off #4?  I think they could!  There will be lots of movement in this range of rankings this season.

Key games this week:

Monday - Murray at UHA

Tuesday - Carlisle at Marshall, Calloway at Graves, Henderson Co. at Tilghman, St. Mary at Ballard Mem.

Thursday - McCracken at Marshall (PTown Dad's Game of the Week)

Friday - St. Mary at Graves, Carlisle at Hickman

Saturday - Marshall vs DuPont Manual

Here are my rankings:

1. McCracken Co. (2-0) - W 101-27 vs CCA, W 78-58 Fairdale

I brainstormed to try and think of any weakness for the Mustangs but I couldn't come up with any.  Maybe not enough balls for everyone to shoot?  This team is very balanced, but will most likely be led in scoring by Woodfork.  Jackson Klope is already averaging double figures in rebounds.  So many notable players on this team!

2. Marshall Co. (2-0) - W 65-47 vs Sterlington (LA), W 81-42 vs Clinton Co.

Is it too early to discuss Matthew Langhi for Mr. Basketball?  Do they give that award to Juniors?  I think he will most likely average around 30 ppg this year.  He has some nice complementary players around him too.  Ryan Stokes does so much for this team that does not show up on Riherds.  Jezik is a solid shooter.  Can they keep the game close against the Mustangs on Thursday?  I think it will be interesting.

3. Graves Co. (1-1) - L 55-72 McEachern (GA), W 63-61 Hopkinsville

The Eagles have a solid four-guard lineup, which is led by Ty Cavette.  I think they will miss Waller some, but we shall see how much.  I think they should get the two wins at home this week, but both the Lakers and Vikings have tough teams.

4. Calloway Co. (2-0) - W 69-65 at St. Mary, W 62-60 vs LEAD Academy (TN)

Every year I underestimate a team in my preseason rankings and this year I think it was the Lakers.  They lost a lot of production from last season but it seems they just reloaded.  The Lakers had a very nice road win on the Holy Hardwood.  Luke Armstrong is a matchup problem for opposing teams.  He's 6-5 and he's strong and he can score from about anywhere.  The Vikings defense had to pay so much attention to him that their shooters got some nice looks.  

5. Mayfield (1-1) - W 90-61 vs Fulton Co., L 55-56 Hopkinsville

I think the jury is still out on this Cardinals team but they have a nice balance of veterans and youth. They always schedule somewhat light early in the year and this season is no exception.  

6. St. Mary (1-2) - L 65-69 vs Calloway, W 59-54 at Carlisle, L 57-81 Atherton

Tough loss to begin the season, but the win at Carlisle was pretty impressive!  How about Freshman Jack Griffith scoring 22 points in the game against the Comets.  I really think the Vikings need some guys to step up beyond Mayes, Nichols and Puckett, and Griffith is someone that they need to make an impact.  Griffin Mayes is worth the price of admission!  I may have already told you - he's one of the top Freshmen in KY.

7.  Carlisle Co. (2-1) - L 54-59 vs St. Mary, W 74-59 vs PT, W 62-42 Robinson (IL)

I feel like the Comets should be higher than this, but I don't know what to do about that.  The loss to the Vikings surprised me but I think they had some foul trouble and the Vikings shot the lights out.  I can see why Wyatt Rickard has some Division 1 offers.  He's 6-9 and he blocks and alters lots of shots.  He can shoot the 3 and he handles the ball pretty well for his size.  This Comets team has a very impressive Junior class.

8. Murray (0-1) - L 64-84 at Lyon Co.

The Tigers hung with Lyon for three quarters before the Lions pulled away.  It appears that Murray will be without the services of QB Wyatt Robbins this season since he was injured in the 3A semifinal game.  I hate it very much for that young man.  This team will be the Mitchell and Harris show this year and they are more than capable of winning some games.

9.  Tilghman (0-1) - L 59-74 at Carlisle

The Tornado is currently missing some key guys and we will have to wait and see what happens there.  But no worries - this team still has lots of athletic guards.  Can the Tornado knock off some Region 1 teams this season?  Absolutely!  They have a tough home test against Henderson on Tuesday night.

10. Hickman Co. (3-0) - W 68-53 vs Trigg Co., W 65-43 vs S. Fulton (TN), W 69-37 vs. Crittenden Co.

What a great start by the Cardinals!  I think I saw it was their first win over Trigg County in 13 tries.  It looks like we might see this team at CFSB for the regional tournament!

11. Christian Fellowship (3-1) - Elijah Grigg can really score the basketball!

12. Ballard Memorial (0-1) - A slow start for the Bombers but they get a shot at the Vikings on Tuesday night.  At home!

13. Community Christian Acad. (0-4) - This team is pretty young and they have some players.  DeJarnett can light up the scoreboard.

14.  Fulton Co. (0-2) - The battle of the Fultons comes up early in January.  Who you got?

15. Fulton City (0-1) - It would be great if this team could avoid the four seed in District 1.  

  • Author

I’ve got some bad news in that the McCracken at Marshall game will not be on YouTube tonight.  I saw something where the Marshall Media Arts team has a conflict tonight.  Bummer - they do a very good job.

Listened to Mr. Region 1’s (B. York) podcast yesterday and his rankings were 1-McCracken, 2-Marshall, 3-Graves, 4-Calloway, 5-Murray.  He said that Carlisle, St. Mary and Mayfield were right there near the 4/5 also.  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.