Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1st Region: Week 2

Featured Replies

I must admit that I feel pretty good about the two teams that I have ranked 1/2, but for teams 3 through 7 - I might as well have drawn them out of a hat.  The season is very young, and until these teams begin to play each other I don't have a good sense as to where I should rank these teams.  How about the hot start for the St. Mary Vikings!  We knew about Sims and Haas, but the additions of Mayes and Puckett have really benefitted this team.

The situation in the PT / Christian County game was unfortunate.  It started out with some pushing and shoving, and then it escalated very quickly.  The KHSAA handed out some suspensions and they were deserved.  I hope that both teams learn from this going forward - there's no place for that in athletics.  Both teams have stand-up coaching staffs, and I think the teams will be fine.

Key games this week:

Tues - St. Mary at Tilghman (D Wolf's Region 1 Game of the Week), Murray at Marshall, Calloway at Union Co. (2A quarterfinals for Section 1), McCracken at Mayfield, Hickman at Ballard Mem.

Thurs - Ballard Mem. at Tilghman

Fri - Calloway at Murray, St. Mary Christmas Classic begins (8 teams including St. Mary and Carlisle)

Sat - Marshall vs S. Oldham

Here are my rankings for this week:

1. Calloway Co. (6-0) - W 54-48 at Graves Co., W 64-59 Father Ryan (TN), W 70-57 Evangel Christian (TN)

This Lakers team is undefeated, and I look for them to continue to take care of business this week.  Jonah Butler is averaging 22 ppg and 10 rpg.  Eli Finley is scoring 15 ppg, and I look for that to increase as the season goes along.  Graves County gave them a bit of a scare, but the Eagles Nest is a very tough place to play. 

2. Marshall Co. (6-0) - W 63-47 at Carlisle Co., W 70-49 at McCracken Co., W 68-52 Owensboro Catholic

We knew about Langhi, Staples and Robertson, but how about Kyzer Phillips.  He has added the dimension of knockdown three-point shooter to the Marshals.  Phillips is right now the leading scorer at over 14 ppg and is currently shooting 46% from three.  I thought that the Marshals had a good shot of winning at McCracken, but I didn't expect the dominant second half that I saw.  This team is very solid on the defensive end!

3. St. Mary (5-0) - W 57-38 vs Ballard Mem., W 51-48 vs Graves Co.

Luke Sims has started out the season on fire!  He is scoring over 23 ppg and is shooting 59% (wow!) from three.  The game on Tuesday at Otis Dinning Gym is very interesting.  The 5-0 start is very impressive, but remember that only one of those games was away from the Holy Hardwood, and that was at #11 Hickman County.  I know one thing - if Sims lights it up on Tuesday then I think the Vikings have a good chance of pulling that one out.

4. Paducah Tilghman (2-1) - L 56-75 at Henderson Co., W 67-60 Christian Co., W 65-56 Camden Central (TN)

The first game at Henderson County was quite an opening game!  I think the Colonels have a decent shot at winning the 2nd Region and heading to Rupp later this year.  As expected, Miles Woodfork has begun the year scoring the ball on a decent tear as he is averaging over 20 ppg.  Add in Wilkins and Mikel, and this Tornado team will be able to put up a lot of points.  I worry about this team on the defensive end and also on the boards.  Can they protect their homecourt on Tuesday night?

5. McCracken Co. (1-3) - L 49-70 vs Marshall, L 39-40 vs Montgomery Bell Acad.

It's obvious that this team really misses junior Jackson Klope, who is out with injury.  I wasn't surprised by the home loss to the Marshals, but I was surprised by the ending margin.  It somewhat seems that the Mustangs don't yet have someone who can step up and get them a bucket when they need it.  It's early in the season and this is a surprisingly young team.  Still, Dylan Jackson is an outstanding shooter, and Jay Martin is one of the best point guards in the region.  I look for this team to improve as the season goes.

6. Graves Co. (3-2) - L 48-54 vs Calloway Co., L 48-51 at St. Mary

I'm wondering if I have this team one or two spots too low.  They hung with #1 Calloway for the entire game, and the Holy Hardwood is a unique gym that is a nice homecourt advantage for St. Mary.  I think it's quite possible if that game was played at the Eagles Nest then Graves would have pulled out the win.  There's still plenty of time to move up these rankings!  Braden Waller is leading the Eagles with 15 ppg, and there are several sophomores that I've heard a lot about.

7.  Mayfield (3-0) - W 51-45 vs Dawson Springs, W 70-39 vs Cairo (IL)

Which Owen is your favorite?  Owen Byrd is a super-athletic slasher with lots of speed.  Owen Webb is a pure shooter.  They're both impressive players!  I think the Cardinals have a chance against the Mustangs on Tuesday night since it is a home game.  That one should definitely be a good one.

8. Murray (5-3) - W 46-40 at Webster Co. (2A Section 1 quarterfinal), W 73-51 vs UHA, W 72-45 at Fulton Co., W 77-52 Rossview (TN)

A pretty nice week for the Tigers with four solid wins!  It is my understanding that University Heights was without a couple of their top players in that game, but that is still a very good win for Murray.  The Tigers have three players in double figures in Moore (16 ppg), Mitchell (14 ppg) and Jones (11 ppg).  Many of you know that Jones is also a very talented football player who recently signed with the Nebraska Huskers.

9. Carlisle Co. (1-3) - L 47-63 vs Marshall Co., W 62-49 vs Hickman Co.

Wyatt Rickard is averaging 10 ppg and 7 rpg for the Comets, and they remain my pick to win the 1st District.  As I've said before - I have heard a lot of good things about their sophomore class so I think this team will continue to get better over the next couple of years.

10. Ballard Mem. (2-2) - L 38-57 at St. Mary, W 57-49 at CFS

As expected, this is the Jace Birney show!  He is averaging 26 ppg, and the next highest scorer is averaging 6 ppg.  I am not sure if this team has the ability to knock off either Graves or Mayfield in the 3rd District this year.  I assume it's possible.

11. Hickman Co. (2-4) - W 67-26 vs Dongola (IL), W 79-71 vs CFS, L 49-62 at Carlisle Co.

Nice win over CFS!  Brendan Rosas scored 27 in that game!

12. Fulton Co. (2-4) - L 45-72 vs Murray, W 62-49 vs CCA

Good win for the Pilots over a talented CCA team.  Both Caden Kimble and Tristan Kinney scored 15 in that game.

13. Community Christian Acad. (2-2) - W 55-44 at Pope Co. (IL), L 49-62 at Fulton Co.

This team has a good young core!  If they stay together then their program will be on the rise.  CCA has an upcoming Christmas Tourney.

14. Christian Fellowship School (2-5) - L 71-79 at Hickman Co., L 49-57 at Ballard Mem.

Two tight games this week.    Elijah and Samuel Grigg lead the way for the Eagles.

15. Fulton City (1-5) - L 33-63 Halls (TN), L 33-55 at Dresden (TN), W 66-60 at Egyptian (IL)

The Bulldogs got a win this week!  Egyptian (IL) never saw it coming!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.