BluegrassPreps.com 1st Region Week 6 Review and Rankings

It feels like the Mustangs are the clear number one, and then there's not much separation between numbers two through six.  Here are my rankings for this week:

1. McCracken Co. (10-1) - W 47-34 vs Marshall Co., W 78-48 vs Callaway (MS)

Tues vs Calloway Co., Fri at Tilghman

The Mustangs jumped out to an early lead against the Marshalls and then cruised to the victory.  By my count that's 42 straight wins against 1st Region competition (last loss in March of 2019).  That's pretty crazy and pretty awesome!  See below where I talk about the McCracken at PT matchup.

2. Murray (11-2) - L 63-64 vs Graves Co., W 71-65 Madisonville

Tues vs CCA (All A Classic)

Disappointing loss at home to Graves, but then a very good bounce back to beat Madisonville on a neutral court.  This is the team to beat in the 1st Region All A Classic.

3. Graves Co. (7-5) - W 64-63 at Murray, L 47-49 vs St. Mary

Tues at Tilghman, Fri vs Marshall Co.

I went ahead and penciled the Eagles in for my second ranked team and then they lost at home to St. Mary.  Should we chalk that up to the difficulty of two games in two days?  Maybe so.  I feel like this team goes the way of Drew Thompson, who is averaging 20 points per game.

4. Paducah Tilghman (9-3) -  W 88-60 vs Union Co., L 69-81 Hopkins Co Central

Tues vs Graves Co, Fri vs McCracken Co.

A good opportunity to get a home win on Tuesday versus Graves.  Also, can you believe it has been five years since Tilghman beat McCracken?  This was a sport that I thought the Tornado could compete with the Mustangs, but it looks like I was wrong.  McCracken has won 15 straight, and they will be a considerable favorite when they visit Otis Dinning on Friday night.  Tilghman has some speed and athleticism, but the Mustangs have size and shooting.  Can the Tornado spring the upset at home?  I'm just hoping for an exciting game.

5. Marshall Co. (8-6) - L 34-47 at McCracken Co., L 52-58 Caldwell Co.

Tues vs Trigg Co., Fri at Graves Co.

The Marshalls have struggled as of late, but I still think this is a team that can make some noise in the 1st Region Tourney.  Another exciting Friday night game in the Region, and I think the Marshalls will give the Eagles all they can handle.

6. Calloway Co. (9-6) - W 54-51 vs Carlisle Co, W 59-45 Webster Co.

Mon Hopkins Co Central (2A Section 1 Finals), Tues at McCracken Co., Fri at CFS

Two very good wins for the Lakers this week, and I think this team is rounding into form.  Tough back-to-back with the Section 1 Finals, and then at McCracken.  Just getting one of those wins would be impressive.

7. Carlisle Co. (8-3) - L 51-54 at Calloway Co.

Tues at Ballard Mem. (All A Classic)

I still think the Comets are the clear favorites in the 1st District.  Can they make some noise in the All A?

8. St. Mary (6-8) - W 49-47 at Graves Co.

Tues vs Hickman Co. (All A Classic)

What a win at Graves for the Vikings!  Coach Denson has this team getting better and better each week.  McCracken and Tilghman do not want to see this team in the District semis.

9. Mayfield (6-2) - W 57-55 at Ballard Mem., W 51-42 at Crittenden Co.

Tues vs Fulton Co. (All A Classic)

A dark horse to win the All A Classic.

10. Ballard Memorial (5-8) - L vs Mayfield 55-57

Tues at Carlisle Co. (All A Classic)

This is a young team that keeps getting better.  This should be a very interesting All A Classic tourney.

11. Fulton Co. (5-5)

12. Community Christian Academy (4-7)

13. CFS (6-5)

14. Hickman Co. (4-8)

15. Fulton City (2-8)

• Like 1