10th Region Boys Basketball Mingua Beef Jerkey Scrimmage Review

10th Region Mingua Beef Jerkey Scrimmage Review

Many 10th region teams played this weekend at in the Mingua Beef Jerkey Preseason Jamboree. I was able to get a look at quite a few of the 10th region teams. There was plenty of talent on display at bourbon county this weekend, below are how I would rank each team I saw this weekend from the 10th region along with their strengths and weaknesses.

Top 10th Region Teams (played in Mingua Beef Jerkey Scrimmages only)

1.      Campbell County

The camels wound up losing by 12 to a highly talented Henry Clay team. This game was much closer than the score shows, and Campbell County was leading for most of the game. Campbell County put on an extremely good defensive display for 3 quarters but eventually they were worn down by Henry Clay. Henry Clay only had 29 points going into the third until eventually winning the game 49-37. This is the One 10th Region team I did not get to see with my own eyes at Bourbon County this weekend. They had a tough matchup this weekend and will need to score better, but I expect them to put together great defensive performances all season long.

2.      Bourbon County

Bourbon lost a close one to LCA in the last game of the night. They controlled most of the game but were unable to fend off a late rally by the eagles. Overall, I was really impressed with the depth of talent the colonels displayed. Their roster looks a lot different this season as they brought in players from Henry clay, Bryan Station, and Paris.

Strengths- Defense, Length, & Athleticism

Bourbon played aggressively on the defensive end where they gave LCA fits early in the game. They played fast and tried to turn defense into offensive, which worked well for most of the game.

Weakness- Half Court Scoring, 3-point Shooting, and Rebounding

The Colonels will have to be able to shoot better to make the jump from a borderline top 10 team to a top 5 team in the region. Their half-court offense looked very shaky, and they were unable to stretch the floor as they mostly relied on getting to the paint. Looking at the size comparison I would have thought bourbon would dominate the boards against LCA, however it was an even battle, and the colonels may have even been out rebounded by the eagles who lacked in size compared to bourbon. Although not a complete weakness I would have thought that bourbon would be great rebounding team due to having 3 players over 6’5 in height, combined with a few lengthy wing players.

3.      Bracken County

Bracken County played well against Model as they were able to win 55-40. The polar bears were in control the entire game against a rather underwhelming Model squad. I would like to see them against better competition as they played Model who was by far the worst team, I saw play this weekend. Nonetheless Bracken looked solid all around this weekend, and they will certainly beat a lot of good teams this season. If Blake Reed gets going from behind the Arc WATCH OUT!

Strengths- Scrapy, Shooting

The polar bears were led by the Reed brothers, and both played well this weekend. You can tell both brothers have the green light, and the defense will have to worry about them scoring from anywhere on the court. As a team Bracken was very scrapy and forced quite a bit of turnovers. They played with great energy the entire game despite only having 7 players on their roster.

Weaknesses- Size, Depth, Inside Presence

Although Blake Reed shot the ball well at time his shot selection can be questionable. I was not super impressed with brackens ability to get to the rim as they were able to do occasionally but not as well as I would have liked to see against Model. They relied on 7 players the entire game and they may only have 1 or 2 players over 6’1. I think it will be difficult for them to keep up a high-level energy defense for four quarters. Take the Combination of smaller players and lack of depth they are going to have to really show some heart to compete with the bigger teams in this region. They can certainly accomplish that, but it will be tough for them to do day in and day out.

4.      Montgomery County  

Montgomery had the roughest weekend out of all the 10th region teams as they were ran out of the gym by Tates Creek in a 67-36-point loss. It was very clear that Creek was more experienced as they took advantage of the young Montgomery County teams in ability to handle ball pressure. You could argue that they could be better than Bracken County this season, I just find it hard to place them above bracken for this event when Montgomery was blown out. Although it is important to note that Tates Creek a much tougher competitor than Model.

Strengths- Half-Court Offense, well coached

Montgomery played well once they were able to get the ball across half court. They did a good job of establishing a presence inside with many points coming from around the rim. They have a couple 8th graders who are very impressive, and both should contribute to their varsity squad this season. They have a good shooter in Trey Carroll, but he struggled to penetrate off the dribble against the scrapy Tates Creek team. A lot of room for improvement for the Indians as you can tell they are well coached and will get better as the season progresses.

Weaknesses- Ball Handling, Inexperienced, Tempo

The Indians had two ball handlers that did well against the trap defense that Tates Creek played, other than that everyone else struggled tremendously when pressured with the ball. Creek was able to speed up Montgomery and this led to even more turnovers. I believe this team will play best in slower paced game, once Creek got up big the Indians rushed the ball up the court and things went from bad to worse. They will get much better as the year goes on but right now, they are very inexperienced.

5.      Paris

Paris almost pulled off a late upset against Berea this weekend. They were trailing by double digits in the first half but by the beginning of the fourth they were well within striking distance. Late in the game they had multiple opportunities to tie the game but were unable to do so.

Strengths- Talented, Quickness and Speed

When Paris was able to get a stop, they got the ball up the floor quickly and had quite a few points in transition. There point guard did a good job of penetrating and getting to the hoop but many times they were unable to hit they open jumper. Overall, I was impressed with the depth of talent that Paris displayed as the have many younger players that could be good in a year or two.

Weaknesses- Sloppy, Offense spacing and sets

The Greyhound offensive struggled in the half court and some points in the game they looked lost on the offensive side of the ball. They were sloppy on the offensive end and made plenty of tough shots throughout the game. If Coach Baker and get this team to work together then they could upset a few teams this season and make more noise than anticipated.

• Like 1