BluegrassPreps.com 11th Region Boys Basketball Preview

Let me start by apologizing for the lateness of this post I have had terrible internet issues this week. Either way lets check out the top teams in the region this year and the top players. As always the 11th Region is a grind and one of if not the top region in the state!

1. Lexington Catholic - The Knights return a strong group of players who finished 31-3 along with an 11th Region Runner Up trophy. Back to lead the Knights is all state guard and one of the favorites for Mr. Basketball, Ben Johnson. Johnson poured in 25.6 points per game last year and has recently committed to Belleramine University. Along with Johnson, look for Jack Gohmann to really step up his production this season. The Nights are not only the favorite to capture the 11th Region title but one of the top 5 teams in the state in my opinion. Should be a fun season on Clays Mill Road. 

2. Madison Central - The Indians return the bulk of their team from last year after only graduating two guys who didnt see much playing time last season. Madison Central will be lead by Kole Brown and Braeden Raye. Also, look for Jaylen Davis to have a breakout year for Coach Feldhaus and the Indians. This team pushed Lexington Catholic to overtime late last season and will always be the hardest playing team on the floor. The Indians have what it takes to win the 11th Region. 

3. Frederick Douglass - The Broncos surprised a lot of people last year by winning the 42nd District and then advancing all the way to the regional semifinal before falling to Lexington Catholic. Jason Moseley takes over for Kurt Young and has a great resume that follows him. The Broncos will be lead by all state guard DaShawn Jackson and his 21.6 points per game. With a player like Jackson and the stable of athletes the Broncos seem to always have they will have a great shot at defending their district championship and making noise at the end of the season. 

4. Paul Laurence Dunbar - The Bulldogs seem to always find themselves ranked near the top of the region early in the season then fall back before making a late run to show what they are capable of. This year Coach Chalk returns most of his squad from last year lead by Tim Hall and Nick Spalding, also look for Nick's brother Dylan to have a big season as well. PLD did lose a key player in the summer when Robbie Todd moved to Morehead and enrolled at Rowan County but Dunbar may have the most size in the region! 

5. Scott County - The defending 11th Region champions came out of nowhere to surprise everyone and win the region last year. Tons of key contributors graduated for Coach Glenn but the cupboard is never bare in Georgetown. Look for Elias Richardson to improve on his 14.5 points per game from last season. Defense will always lead the way in Georgetown and as they showed last year, you cant count out the Cardinals. 

6. Bryan Station - The Defenders enter year 3 under coach Nimbo Hammons and look to continue to improve and climb up the ladder. For the first time since Nimbo took the job the Defenders have some much needed experience back. Look for Myles Morones and JMarious Lindsey to lead the way for a Bryan Station team who lost to eventual Region Champion Scott County by 1 in overtime in the 42 District tournament. 

7. Henry Clay - The Blue Devils have been a perennial power in the 11th Region the last decade. The Blue Devils lost a ton to graduation including all state guard Marques Warrick. Henry Clay will look to their youth to keep the legacy going and look for Kanye Henderson and Aziel Blackwell to take a step up this season with more responsibility. 

8. Lexington Christian Academy - LCA returns one of the leading scorers and top players in the region this year in junior Tanner Walton who poured in 21.5 points per game. The youth will have to step up for Coach Hall if they want to compete in not only the 11th Region but the 43rd Distrcit as well! 

9. Franklin County - The Flyers aren't on anyone's radar this season but I expect them to be much better then expected. Coach Wise has gotten some new roster additions from the Flyer football team who finished as 4A State Runner Up. Look for Phillip Peffier and Zac Cox to lead the flyers this season but I expect a major contribution from football start Fred Farrier. The Flyers could be the fastest team in the region this season. 

10. Tates Creek - Coach Gay has done an outstanding job with Tates Creek. When he took the job 4 years ago they were at the bottom of the region and the worst team in Lexington. Fast forward and the Commodores were in the region semi finals last year and right there until the end. Tates Creek lost a lot to graduation but look for youngster Sam Parrish to make himself known this year along with Josh Dutoit who returns after a stellar junior season. 

TOP 10 PLAYERS 

1. Ben Johnson - Lexington Catholic 

2 DaShawn Jackson - Frederick Douglass 

3. Tanner Walton - LCA 

4. Elias Richardson - Scott County 

5. Tim Hall - Paul Laurence Dunbar 

6. Braden Ray - Madison Central 

7. Jackson Twombly - Frankfort High 

8. Jack Gohhman - Lexington Catholic 

9. Myles Morones - Bryan Station 

10. Nate Turner - Madison Southern 

Next week I will include all teams in my rankings. With Covid-19 and everything going on it has been super hard to get information and responses on how some of these teams will be and their expectations. After a week of games I will be able to tell everyone more! 

• Thanks 1