Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region 2016

Featured Replies

Just wondering what you guys think about the 8th region. I think it should be a pretty fun an competitive year. Here is my two cents for what it is worth.

 

29th - I think this is probably the toughest district in the region this year. Oldham and South both return a lot of talent from last year. South also returns some key guys from injury. I think the winner of the region could come from those two. I know North Returns talent and is always solid. I just think they lost too much pitching off last years team.

 

30th - Another tough district that I think is wide open this year. All 4 teams are capable of winning that district. I think Anderson and Collins are a little down from the past few year but will still be very solid. Collins probably has the best number 1 in the district with McDonald. I think Shelby maybe the team to beat in the district this year. They have a lot of talent returning off of a very solid team last year. Spencer also returns a lot of talent and could be a tough out in the first round with Lambdin on the heel.

 

31st - This district is interesting to me. They are typically the weakest in the region but have some good players and teams returning. Owen is probably the favorite this year with the addition of Dunaway from Trimble which gives them another good arm to add to everyone returning. Henry has pretty much their whole team back from a team that nearly shocked South in the first round of the region last year. Carroll has been the best in the district the last couple of years. They lost one of their big pitchers but returns the other one a long with a lot of talent. Gallatin has a new coach and pretty much returns their whole team.

 

32nd - I think this is Simon's to lose. They lost talent to graduation but do return some pitching and have a lot of young talent to choose from. They also have experience from two previous deep regions runs. Grant lost their stud from last year. Walton Verona has some returners back but I am not sure there pitching is there to be a legit region contender. Williamstown had their best season in a while last year and were fairly young.

 

Your thoughts?

Well, very interesting and glad you did this.

My thought is that Collins pitching staff will be deep. McDonald, Jennings, Brown, Mattingly. 4 Quality starters. They do have a few holes to fill but a lot of young talent to choose from. Collins returns 5 starters from the Elite 8 so I don't think they will drop far. Anderson has several up and coming young kids but they will miss 2 huge long time starters. Shelby has a couple of key holes to fill but some nice young talent. Not sure about spencer but I know they lost a couple of key players.

They have changed the seeding process this year. One team will play a District team at home on a Monday. On Tuesday they will travel to the Mondays visiting team and play game 2. This should keep each team from having 1 pitcher win you the #1 seed in the District tournament. District I think will be at Spencer. IMO they shouldn't be allowed to host unless they have installed lights. Have mentioned this several times.

Region 8 will be held at Carroll Co. Another not so good of a choice.

I understand everyone should have a chance to host but IMO facilities must meet standards and neither of these places meet those standards. Too many schools have better facilities. I have been to many of regional venue but I guess I have been spoiled over the last 6 years.

Edited by Tommy2tone

  • Author

Good overview of the 30th. It seems like you feel Collins is the favorite in that district again. I would probably tend to agree with you for the most part. I do find it interesting they are moving to the two seed game format. I like the format they are using along with the 29th where you play the same team in the same week. I think that is the best way to do it if you doing two seed games. I tend to agree with you that facilities need to meet KHSAA standards in order to host especially the region. District wise the regulations are fairly loose I get that. I do not understand how requirements to host the region are not met. I think lights and field size and quality are the most important when you get to that level. That really bothers me in region play.

Deep pitching goes a long way. I forgot to mention that Collins has a new skipper this year. Asst. Mike Hammond moves up to run the Titan program.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.