Wolfe 9 Jackson City 4

jr92

Wolfe clinches #1 seed in 55th District with hard fought win. Sparks pitches a great game, going the distance. "Sparky" gave up 3 earned runs on 4 hits, striking out 6. Chris Stamper and Chase Nickel each hit solo homers, with Nickel, Johnny Ratliff, and Dustin Drake all getting 3 hits apiece.

Congrats to Wolfe Co. on a good win. Our Tigers hung in there and tried to keep things going all the way to the end. A good effort by Jackson's freshman pitcher Gentry Hayes. In a big game, he stayed cool under pressure with 7 strike-outs. Congratulations to senior Chase Thompson and sophomore Jackie Clemons on their homeruns.

I'd really like to acknowlege the great effort by the Tigers; they fought hard in both games against Wolfe to the end. The home runs by Clemons and Thompson were huge, Chase's two run shot in the fifth inning made it a 6-3 game and really gave the Wolves a scare. The Hayes kid pitched a great game and I think he has a good future ahead of him. Jackson has the potential to cause some real problems in the 55th District Tournament.

by the way, how hard can sparky throw? just wondering

Sparky was clocked last winter in the low 70's. I'd day he is thowing a little harder than that at this point. He is certainly not overpowering, but the lefty can cause problems for hitters if he throws strikes. His fastball has a lot of movement on it, and if he has control of his curveball can be a very effective pitcher.