The line between recruiting kids to AAU teams

Unfortunately this happens all the time. I have had players leave for another team a week before our first tournament. Some teams can move on, but it can be detrimental to others. I blame parents as much as I do the other coaches. If you make a commitment to play for a team you should honor it . That is unless you were given false information from the start. Research your team and make a decision up front. Don't be an AAU free agent or "rent a player" On a side note, the players that left my team left the other team after a couple tournaments due to false promises. The whole grass is greener theory in full effect. That part of AAU drives me nuts.

I understand its a labeled "free for all" in recruiting players for AAU teams. The issues are two fold: first, the players & parents are escalating the recruiting process by entertaining the engagement. Second, please take any of my players because if they don't want to play in my program then you can have them. You will never win with those type of kids & parents. However, once they say 'no' - coaches / programs should leave them alone. Continued recruiting is being disrespectful and that could lead to future issues down the road. If coaches & programs are in the AAU circuit for the right reasons then all this other stuff should stop. Keep the kids first and everyone wins regardless of what the scoreboard says! Coach Rico Rosado, Western Kentucky Elite..... As you can tell, I believe in transparency and a CODE!

Edited by Randy Parker
Rule 8