Regional Date and Brackets

Sorry if this has been answered but I'm fairly new to how KHSAA works. I'm curious to know how KHSAA works in terms of the tournaments from district through State.

The information seems to be pretty sporadic and it's a bit of a mystery. I'm more accustomed to how they run it in Ohio where it seems a bit more straight forward and you can follow all the brackets (although broken up on multiple websites which are linked) from the first games all the way through to state finals and see where possible match-ups are and dates.

So,my questions are the following:

1) Are the location and dates of Regionals set? If not, when are they and how are the published (yes, I looked on KHSAA's website simply saw most, for some reason not local, regions have a site plan filed but nothing else)?

2) Are the brackets for regionals pre-set or determined based on who comes out of district tourney play? For example, Region 10 has 3 districts and I believe i read that 2 come out of each district. So, how do they set the brackets for Region 10 for the 6 teams or Region 9 for that matter?

Sorry for the ignorant questions if these are well known by the long timers on here.

I just find it ironic that the dates and brackets for State are all set and well documented yet districts and regionals are a bit of a mystery.

Again, if this is straightforward and posted somewhere, apologizes for my ignorance.

State bracket from Regionals forward is already posted on KHSAA website... sports/soccer/state tournament. So you can see what path the various Regional Champs would have to travel to state finals (e.g., Region 9 hosts Region 11 and then winner travels to Lexington to face Region 1/3 winner). Regional brackets get drawn and posted after Districts (this Sunday?). That's the short version.

Sorry if this has been answered but I'm fairly new to how KHSAA works. I'm curious to know how KHSAA works in terms of the tournaments from district through State.

The information seems to be pretty sporadic and it's a bit of a mystery. I'm more accustomed to how they run it in Ohio where it seems a bit more straight forward and you can follow all the brackets (although broken up on multiple websites which are linked) from the first games all the way through to state finals and see where possible match-ups are and dates.

1) Are the location and dates of Regionals set? If not, when are they and how are the published (yes, I looked on KHSAA's website simply saw most, for some reason not local, regions have a site plan filed but nothing else)?

2) Are the brackets for regionals pre-set or determined based on who comes out of district tourney play? For example, Region 10 has 3 districts and I believe i read that 2 come out of each district. So, how do they set the brackets for Region 10 for the 6 teams or Region 9 for that matter?

Sorry for the ignorant questions if these are well known by the long timers on here.

I just find it ironic that the dates and brackets for State are all set and well documented yet districts and regionals are a bit of a mystery.

Again, if this is straightforward and posted somewhere, apologizes for my ignorance.

from http://khsaa.org/handbook/competitionrules/socompetitionrules.pdf:

In a region tournament with participants from three districts,

the draw shall be conducted as follows. The format will

follow a standard eight-team bracket with two byes, those

falling into positions 2 and 7. The district winners shall draw

for positions 1 and 8 in the bracket. The district winner not

drawing a bye shall draw for a position in slots 3 through

6. The district runner-up to the district champion drawing for

position in slots 3 through 6 will draw into one of the two

remaining slots in the bracket opposite the district winner, and

the remaining two runner-up teams will be placed opposite

their corresponding district winners in the remaining two slots

in the bracket.

Also from the same document:

The semi-state pairings for six-year period are:

SS 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018

1 1@4 3@1 1@2 4@1 1@3 2@1

2 3@2 2@4 3@4 2@3 4@2 4@3

3 5@8 7@5 5@6 8@5 5@7 6@5

4 7@6 6@8 7@8 6@7 8@6 8@7

5 9@12 11@9 9@10 12@9 9@11 10@9

6 11@10 10@12 11@12 10@11 12@10 12@11

7 13@16 15@13 13@14 16@13 13@15 14@13

8 15@14 14@16 15@16 14@15 16@14 16@15

So, for 2014, Region 3 is at Region 1, 2@4, 7@5, 6@8, 11@9, 10@12, 15@13, 14@a16

Typically, the regional tournaments rotate amongst the Districts. So, the host of the regional tournament cannot be determined until the District tournament champion is crowned. Once that is determined, you have to check on field suitability, availability, etc.