Former UK men's soccer coach takes over at GRC

Ian Collins doesn’t consider his newest challenge a step down. He’s just ready to settle down.

The former University of Kentucky men’s soccer coach was named to the same post Tuesday at George Rogers Clark High School. Collins takes over for Patrick Fitzgerald, whose contract wasn’t renewed following a two-year tenure as coach. Collins served as coach for the past 19 seasons at Kentucky, where he compiled a 187-132-38 record, but is looking forward to trying his hand at the high school level and doesn’t see the transition as an adjustment.

After guiding the Wildcats to a 9-9-2 record last fall, Collins, who began Kentucky’s soccer program, wasn’t retained. The move allowed Collins to change courses in his coaching career.

“The last 26 years of my life, I’ve really enjoyed working with college guys, but I want to really start working with some younger players and start to develop some players,” he said. “This area has really been good to me and to my family and it’s time to give a little bit back.”

Collins was introduced to the team Tuesday afternoon by Clark principal David Bolen.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Bolen told members of the team as he introduced Collins. “I want you to know the search for a soccer coach wasn’t taken lightly. I wanted to make sure I found somebody who I thought would take you to the next level. Believe me, I think I have found a man here who can get you to where you want to be and will be looking for a state title to come home to GRC¿in the near future.”

The Cards came close to achieving that goal five years ago. Clark lost to St. Xavier 5-1 in the state finals in 2007, but haven’t enjoyed postseason success since.

Prep Soccer: Former UK men's soccer coach takes over at Clark - centralkynews.com

This is a tremendous hire for the GRC soccer program! Coach Collins reputation has given the Boys soccer an instantaneous boost and a renewed sense of focus. Welcome Coach Collins! Looking forward to your first season in the fall!

This is a tremendous hire for the GRC soccer program! Coach Collins reputation has given the Boys soccer an instantaneous boost and a renewed sense of focus. Welcome Coach Collins! Looking forward to your first season in the fall!

Agree, great hire for GRC!!!!!!

• 1 month later...