Elder loses at " the pit " again. (Highlands/Elder Predictions)

Who Wins this game?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins this game?

Elder is still #18 in Ohio. That's incredible considering they are 2-6. Their opponents include: Trinity #1 in KY and #2 in Nation, St Edwards #6 in Ohio and #44 in Nation, Central #7 in Florida and #29 in Nation, St. Xavier #2 in Ohio and #12 in Nation, Moeller #1 in Ohio and #2 in Nation. CardinalsFan, let's hear who you think played a tougher schedule in the country. We'll be waiting patiently. HHS should not take this 2-6 team lightly.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is key. What will the mind set of Elder be? Does the Highlands game not matter since they will not be in the playoffs and have defeatest attitude? Do they relax and throw everything at Highlands and have the game of their lives?

I believe this happens every Friday nite against Highlands...................And at all levels and all sports.

Elder is still #18 in Ohio. That's incredible considering they are 2-6. Their opponents include: Trinity #1 in KY and #2 in Nation, St Edwards #6 in Ohio and #44 in Nation, Central #7 in Florida and #29 in Nation, St. Xavier #2 in Ohio and #12 in Nation, Moeller #1 in Ohio and #2 in Nation. CardinalsFan, let's hear who you think played a tougher schedule in the country. We'll be waiting patiently. HHS should not take this 2-6 team lightly.

Are these rankings current . St Ed lost to Cincy X ,giving them two straight losses .I know one was DB(NJ), Moeller now has a loss to an unranked team from Indiana , that loss coming on Moellers ,so called , home field . There is no way that Moeller is , as you say , #1 in Ohio and #2 in the nation. I say Trinity is #2 in the nation right now and it won't take much for them to move to #1 in the nation.

Those are great questions . IMO , Elder will approach this game just like any other . With the schedule Elder has , they might be thinking that THIS is one game that they should win. They would HATE to lose to two Ky teams in the same season . I say they throw everything but the kitchen sink at Highlands !! Go Birds !!

It would be extremely embarrasing for Elder to lose to a N.KY. team. Cincinnati has very little or no respect for N.KY. football.

The defensive line of Highlands had better improve, as discovered in the Cov. Cath. game, or it will be a long difficult night. GO BIRDS!

I know this Bird fan isn't. And I'm sure the rest aren't either. Again, this is Elder. Just like when CCH was experiencing their own dark years, whenever we(HHS) played them, we(HHS) knew that anything could happen. Never take any team lightly!!!

I know this Bird fan isn't. And I'm sure the rest aren't either. Again, this is Elder. Just like when CCH was experiencing their own dark years, whenever we(HHS) played them, we(HHS) knew that anything could happen. Never take any team lightly!!!
I totally agree tdyballgame. This advice is often given to Highlands for some reason. This group of seniors are 37-1 and have a ton of respect for Elder and quite honestly are honored to play there. The "don't take them lightly comment" I assure is not going to be a problem for this coming Friday.

The upcoming game at Elder is a very important one for Highlands, and not just for the current football team but for the entire Highlands football program. Highlands is having an outstanding season. They are led by a QB (Towles) considered by the Elite 11 competition to be one of the 24 best senior QBs in the country, and he is having an amazing year, possibly the most impressive year for any QB in the history of HHS football. Highlands' offense is very potent, leading the entire state in points scored and on track to challenge the state record for most points in a season. Highlands' defense did give up 37 points to a very strong CCH offense, but the defense is talented and has pitched three consecutive shut-outs heading into the Elder game. While HHS' schedule is comparatively weak this year, the Bluebirds have already beaten two teams (CCH and Boyle County) who are arguably two of the top four Class 4A teams not named Highlands, with both wins coming on the road. Finally, Highlands has been able to develop the depth necessary to successfully two-platoon, and has done this the entire year.

Elder has had a very bad (terrible, frankly) season this year. They have already been eliminated from playoff contention with a current 2-6 record, despite having two games remaining on their schedule. They had lost six straight games heading into the HHS contest. While it is true they have played a very difficult schedule this year, it is also true that historically they play a demanding schedule... this year has been an especially bad one for Elder. Plus, Elder was defeated by Trinity 56-7 earlier this year; this was Elder's worst-ever loss at the Pit. The games against Moeller and Lakewood St. Edward were not close.

Highlands has never beaten Elder, despite coming close on more than one occasion. When Elder and Highlands have played in the past, Highlands did not have the depth to two-platoon, and one theme of the HHS-Elder games was Highlands getting worn down by a bigger Elder squad as the game progressed. Since their last meeting, however, Coach Mueller and HHS have changed to a full two-platoon system, in order to combat the past experiences of a smaller HHS squad getting worn down by a larger (Cincinnati) team. This strategy paid off big in 2009, when HHS defeated Cincinnati St. Xavier.

By all accounts, Highlands has a very good squad (by HHS standards) and Elder has a subpar squad (by EHS standards) this year. Over the past few years, Coach Mueller has made some comments about wanting Highlands to garner more notoriety/respect at the national level and be in the discussion about the top football programs in the nation. In order to take the next step in this process, it will be very important that Highlands show it can win games against historically strong out-of-state programs (like Elder), ESPECIALLY when those programs are having a "down" year. I know from looking at the Rivals High message boards that many people will be looking to see how the Highlands-Elder game goes this year. If Highlands wins then it will provide some validation at the national level that Highlands is able to take care of business, just like Cincy St. X, Trinity, Moeller, St. Edward, Miami Central and Bishop Chatard were able to do when they played Elder. If Highlands loses, however, I suspect it will have a longstanding impact on how Highlands football is viewed at the regional/national level. It will be difficult for the supporters of Highlands football to counter the argument that Highlands cannot beat OOS teams like Elder, even when Elder is way, way down and HHS has a very good squad by HHS standards.

If Highlands wants to continue following what Coach Mueller has been talking about in recent years (i.e. Highlands gaining more recognition at the national level), Highlands is going to need to win this game at Elder Friday night. It won't be easy at all, as I have heard Elder is big on the lines, the game is at Elder, and HHS has not had many tests to fully prepare them for EHS this year. Hopefully, HHS can rise above these obstacles and come out on top!

I wish all the HHS players and coaches a very focused and hard-working week of preparation this week, and a great game Friday evening. Go 'Birds!

Edited by jbwill2

[/b]

It would be extremely embarrasing for Elder to lose to a N.KY. team. Cincinnati has very little or no respect for N.KY. football.

The defensive line of Highlands had better improve, as discovered in the Cov. Cath. game, or it will be a long difficult night. GO BIRDS!

Elder's weakness seems to be pass blocking. Highlands weakness seems to be running it straight at them. It will play to Elder's strengths to keep the ball on the ground. I do not believe that Elder has the ability to cover Highlands receivers, on the other side of the ball. This could be a replay of the CovCath game.

I am pulling for HHS 100%, but I have a strange feeling that Elder will take this one, giving Ohio HS fans reason to gloat that an OH team on a "down" year can still beat a KY team on its "up" year. But I hope HHS wins big and puts any of that talk to rest.