Does Beechwood See Anything Short of A State Championship as a Disappointment?

Ram

The fans don't want to put their neck too far out there, but are the discussions in Fort Michell leaning toward "anything less then a Championship is a disappointment"? And don't give me the "we always expect a Championship" line, because we all know Beechwood has to go though Mayfield, something they haven't been able to do before.

One member said it this way:

I think so too. Considering all the players they have back, the ways in which they lost to Mayfield over the past seasons, etc., I believe that anything short of the Class A title this season is a disappointment for them.

The fans don't want to put their neck too far out there, but are the discussions in Fort Michell leaning toward "anything less then a Championship is a disappointment"? And don't give me the "we always expect a Championship" line, because we all know Beechwood has to go though Mayfield, something they haven't been able to do before.

One member said it this way:

Sorry, RAM, but ... Beechwood always expects a championship.

Mayfield, Lexington Christian, New Cath, Danville ... there is always a very tough opponent in the path. To be honest, it would be more fun if there were a couple more of those.

Sorry, RAM, but ... Beechwood always expects a championship.

You can't have it both ways VOR, you all build Mayfield up, then say "You always expect a Championship". Which is it, should Beechwood be number one, or should Mayfield?

I was not trying to start anything with the post that I did last night. I just believe that Beechwood is similar in ways to Mayfield's team from last year. I'm aware that Beechwood hasn't beat Mayfield yet, but with the players that they return, the size, speed, athleticism, talent, etc., I believe that it is fair to say what I did, and I believe that many on the team, as well as many fans could feel that way.

I was not trying to start anything with the post that I did last night. I just believe that Beechwood is similar in ways to Mayfield's team from last year. I'm aware that Beechwood hasn't beat Mayfield yet, but with the players that they return, the size, speed, athleticism, talent, etc., I believe that it is fair to say what I did, and I believe that many on the team, as well as many fans could feel that way.

You didn't start anything. Just a discussion.

You can't have it both ways VOR, you all build Mayfield up, then say "You always expect a Championship". Which is it, should Beechwood be number one, or should Mayfield?

Why can't Beechwood expect a championship but recognize that Mayfield has earned being #1 in a preseason poll? Beechwood expects to win but until they do, Mayfield is #1 in the poll. I see no conflict in that.

Why can't Beechwood expect a championship but recognize that Mayfield has earned being #1 in a preseason poll? Beechwood expects to win but until they do, Mayfield is #1 in the poll. I see no conflict in that.

I love ya VOR, but if you don't get off that fence, you are going to hurt yourself.

As a former Beechwood player and coach I believe anything short of a championship will be a huge disappointment. The preview summed the Tigers up well:

1. Beechwood - The Tigers were embarrassed by Mayfield the last two years in the playoffs, losing by a combined score of 76-14. This is clearly the year of the Tiger. The senior class won the overall Northern Kentucky Freshman Championship three years ago, beating Highlands in the finals. So anything less than a state title will be a huge disappointment for Beechwood. Tailback and All-BGP candidate Cameron Vocke will lead Beechwood's strong senior class. The buzz in Fort Mitchell started when this group took the field as freshmen, and a tough opening game against new 6A power Simon Kenton will tell us if these Tigers are ready for prime time. One Beechwood insider recently stated, "If Beechwood doesn't win it all this year, the dynasty is officially over."

Mayfield folks can relate to not getting over the hump but with a different team. If memory serves me correct, the Cardinals were never able to defeat Danville until 2002. No saying it will happen this year for the Tigers, but it is a similar situation.

As a former Beechwood player and coach I believe anything short of a championship will be a huge disappointment. The preview summed the Tigers up well:

1. Beechwood - The Tigers were embarrassed by Mayfield the last two years in the playoffs, losing by a combined score of 76-14. This is clearly the year of the Tiger. The senior class won the overall Northern Kentucky Freshman Championship three years ago, beating Highlands in the finals. So anything less than a state title will be a huge disappointment for Beechwood. Tailback and All-BGP candidate Cameron Vocke will lead Beechwood's strong senior class. The buzz in Fort Mitchell started when this group took the field as freshmen, and a tough opening game against new 6A power Simon Kenton will tell us if these Tigers are ready for prime time. One Beechwood insider recently stated, "If Beechwood doesn't win it all this year, the dynasty is officially over."

If they do not win the title this year, I would definitely have to agree with whoever the insider is.

If they do not win the title this year, I would definitely have to agree with whoever the insider is.

As I posted in the preview thread:

Yes, hopes and expectations are high for the good reasons stated above. But when I see lines like "If Beechwood doesn't win it all this year, the dynasty is officially over.", I have to laugh. For that Beechwood insider and others with similar thoughts, I am sorry to inform you that "the dynasty" ended in 1999. But two titles and two semi state finishes in the last 4 years isn't bad, is it? How many teams in the state have been in the final four in their class the last four years? So regardless of what happens this year, things are just fine in Tigerland. If you have any doubts, just head on up to the field any night and take a look. It is pretty impressive. From the varsity, to the 35 member freshman team to the new middle school team ... things are great and getting even better.