Preseason srimmages are quickly approaching

Are preseason scrimmages worth the risk of injury to key players. I know teams learn of the weaknesses to their teams before the regular seasons where the games count. I also know injuries can happen anytime for any reason ,but is it worth the risk of losing key players for the season ? I would like to use Highlands as an example. They have the platoon system and therefore could actually practice instead of scrimmaging a top notch program. Several years back Josh Conner ,Mr. Football nominee broke his leg in the Male scrimmage . A few weeks later ,Highlands played Colerain and though they lost , they played Colerain tough. Could they have beaten Colerain that night if Josh Conner could have played ? Nobody can answere that question , but, I sure would have liked to see Josh running the ball for the Birds. Your Thoughts ?

So is driving a car, which, forget injury, is the leading cause of death of teens today. I agree with blockbuster, you can't go through life worried about everything. IMO, in high school (and, not trying to get off topic), but these aged kids know 2 speeds: 1) Full Speed and 2) walk-through. There is no in between in terms of practice being effective.

You can't go through life worried about what might happen to you.

I don't think players worry about injuries at all . The coaches have the issue of injuries in the back of their minds , but they don,t dwell on it.

I have been to many games where the game was not close and the starters were still in the game . Then your starting QB takes a hard hit and is taken out before the next play. Why did the coach take him out , because of the risk of injury. Coaches calculate the risk of injuries to star players , in not so close games , for obvious reasons.

Injuries can happen anywhere , I broke my toe on my way to the kitchen to get my morning coffee. :D (It didn't hurt ) :rolleyes:

Are preseason scrimmages worth the risk of injury to key players. I know teams learn of the weaknesses to their teams before the regular seasons where the games count. I also know injuries can happen anytime for any reason ,but is it worth the risk of losing key players for the season ? I would like to use Highlands as an example. They have the platoon system and therefore could actually practice instead of scrimmaging a top notch program. Several years back Josh Conner ,Mr. Football nominee broke his leg in the Male scrimmage . A few weeks later ,Highlands played Colerain and though they lost , they played Colerain tough. Could they have beaten Colerain that night if Josh Conner could have played ? Nobody can answere that question , but, I sure would have liked to see Josh running the ball for the Birds. Your Thoughts ?

I think the scrimmages are worth the risk. Besides, if Highlands did as you mentioned (scrimmaged itself), wouldn't the exact same risk of injury be present? Sure it would. With the Birds opening a week later against Boyle, I think it's very important for Highlands to have a scrimmage against another team under their belt (particularly for those starters that didn't start last year).

Scrimmages are necessary to see where your team is and what you need to work on. I think you can limit the injury risk in Scrimmages by having the Officials use a quick whistle. Also takeing the punting, punt return, kick off and kickoff return out of the Scrimmage should help. At best the risk will still be there, it's Football.

Scrimmages are necessary to see where your team is and what you need to work on. I think you can limit the injury risk in Scrimmages by having the Officials use a quick whistle. Also takeing the punting, punt return, kick off and kickoff return out of the Scrimmage should help. At best the risk will still be there, it's Football.

I agree CELL.

Not only do I think that scrimmages are necessary, I think it is a real detriment to teams if they only have 1 scrimmage. This is especially true if you have a young team, especially at QB.

You don't get the opportunity to watch films, correct a few things an have another trial run.

No matter how hard you try the speed of the game is very seldom replicated in practice. That feeling in your stomach before the 1st hit is pretty difficult to "practice".