Why 6 team districts???

TheMountain

I mean, there are two six team districts in the state. They EASILY could have put one team from each district in the opposite and made it five teams.

Talk geography all you want, but they could have fixed this by moving 2 teams.

There are 6 team districts now.

I mean, there are two six team districts in the state. They EASILY could have put one team from each district in the opposite and made it five teams.

Talk geography all you want, but they could have fixed this by moving 2 teams.

There are only two six-teamers.

Class 2A, Region II, District 4 - Bardstown, CAL, DeSales, Fort Knox, Shawnee, Washington County

Class 5A, Region IV, District 7 - Lincoln County, Madison Southern, North Laurel, Pulaski County, South Laurel, Southwestern

I'm assuming you mean the 5A district. I guess they could have slid one of the Laurels down into District 8 like they have been doing recently, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to have North and South separated. I do think it would have been better to have 5 teams in District 8, at least guaranteeing a qualification process.

I'm not sure what the problem with a six-team district is.

The only problem I have with six-teamers are if there are also four-teamers in a class. But geography does play a role and you can only do so much. As long as the four-teamers are limited (and they are, only four total in classes 2A-5A) I'm okay with it.

It's interesting to note that Tennessee redrew districts not too long ago and the districts got considerably larger. You had some districts with 7-8 teams, which coaches said made scheduling a lot easier. They have since went to fewer teams in districts and coaches complain about schedules being harder to fill. A lot of Kentucky coaches say the same thing now about 4-5 team districts, especially when the mandatory district scheduling grid is factored in