What is a good 'Passer Rating' for D1 prospect QBs?

jack99

What level of passing efficiency or passer rating does a high school QB need to get the attention of D1 programs? Using the

((8.4 * YDS) + (330 * TD) - (200 * INT) + (100 * COMP))/ATT formula, I believe 158.3 is considered perfect. What the approximate score that seperates a really good high school QB from all the good high school QBs...150, 140, 130?

What level of passing efficiency or passer rating does a high school QB need to get the attention of D1 programs? Using the

((8.4 * YDS) + (330 * TD) - (200 * INT) + (100 * COMP))/ATT formula, I believe 158.3 is considered perfect. What the approximate score that seperates a really good high school QB from all the good high school QBs...150, 140, 130?

I think as far as D1 goes, there is alot more to it. For a pocket passer you probably need to be 6'3" to 6'5", with a little bit of everything they're looking for. Good mechanics, good arm strength, poise, etc. Also a QB or any player needs some exposure. A trip to some big time camps wouldn't be bad, but many are invite only. Level of competition also is looked at alot, some guys are taken with less than great stats if they play in a great area for football.

I also hate to say it, but if you're asking about a specific player they're probably not D1. I think you'll know a D1 QB when you see one, stats can only take a player so far when it comes to getting looks from the big schools. I don't have a clue if you are asking about a specific player or not though. JMO.

Drew Brees is shorter than 6'3" and Brett Favre has less than perfect mechanics, but they get the job done in a big way! I'll take performance over "looks like a QB" everytime.

So let's say the QB has the height, good mechanics, good arm strength, poise in the pocket, and is starting to be recruited by D1 schools. What passer rating jumps off the page at a recruiter?

:thumb: Maybe add to that mobility, especially depending on the type of offense they run.

Also consideration of understanding complex offensive schemes, as well as defensive. And of course accuracy under pressure.

:thumb: Maybe add to that mobility, especially depending on the type of offense they run.

I meant to add mobility if you have a dual threat QB. :thumb:

Drew Brees is shorter than 6'3" and Brett Favre has less than perfect mechanics, but they get the job done in a big way! I'll take performance over "looks like a QB" everytime.

So let's say the QB has the height, good mechanics, good arm strength, poise in the pocket, and is starting to be recruited by D1 schools. What passer rating jumps off the page at a recruiter?

Drew Brees is more of the exception than the rule. He's one of the most accurate passers in NFL and was a stud in college, though he was slightly under recruited coming out of HS. He also grew up in Texas (I believe) and that is the fertile zone for QBs, if teams can't find a QB Texas is always a very good place to start.

Passer rating really means nothing as far as college recruiting is concerned. Plenty of guys with good/great stats get no looks, and plenty of guys with pedestrian stats get all kinds of offers. QB rating in HS has alot to do with the system the QB plays in, the talent he plays with, and the talent he plays against. Not really something that is always going to translate to Division 1. A D1 school would always rather have a big 6'4" guy with a rocket arm, and a good set of mechanics that play some pretty good competition on a regular basis than a guy that put up great stats. Now if you get all of those together then you have a guy that is probably getting looks from the 'Bamas and Floridas around the country.

Size, Football IQ, Velocity, Accuracy, Mobility...they can fix footwork and mechanics. It may surprise you but velocity may be #1.

Velocity is something to add in there but I thing that has alot to do with mechanics as well. Footwork, hips, throwing motion will all add alot to your velocity, though some guys like Favre can blister your hands on nothing but arm strength.

I'll pick size as the #1 most desired factor. They can teach just about anything else, and what they can't teach like speed is just an added advantage in many systems. JMO :thumb:

Velocity is something to add in there but I thing that has alot to do with mechanics as well. Footwork, hips, throwing motion will all add alot to your velocity, though some guys like Favre can blister your hands on nothing but arm strength.

I'll pick size as the #1 most desired factor. They can teach just about anything else, and what they can't teach like speed is just an added advantage in many systems. JMO :thumb:

I'll go with size as #1 with velocity and accuracy close behind and then speed. Going to senior day camps is critical unless you're a absolute stand-out. Go your junior year to at least a couple to see what they're like. Be prepared. You're short comings will be obviouis. But, don't let that discourage you. No one, except Peyton Manning, is perfect and coaches look for what fits their preferred style.

I'll go with size as #1 with velocity and accuracy close behind and then speed. Going to senior day camps is critical unless you're a absolute stand-out. Go your junior year to at least a couple to see what they're like. Be prepared. You're short comings will be obviouis. But, don't let that discourage you. No one, except Peyton Manning, is perfect and coaches look for what fits their preferred style.

Those camps are huge. If I have a QB or any other play I think has the goods, they're going early and often to them. Jack99 is this a hypothetical question?

Those camps are huge. If I have a QB or any other play I think has the goods, they're going early and often to them.

Amen. I took my son to about 8 camps this past summer. He's getting interest from some D-1 schools that wouldn't have considered him otherwise if they even heard of him. Funny thing, he ran one of his poorest 40s at one camp but the coaches liked what they saw in all the other drills.

So you've named two. Bottom line, Division I teams almost have to take a "looks like a QB" most of the time because for every Drew Brees or Brett Favre that they sign, there's 500 other 6'0 quarterbacks that absolutely cannot play Division I. For that matter, notice that Brees went completely under the recruiting radar and ended up at Purdue, while Favre ended up at Southern Mississippi. More college coaches lose sleep at night over the 6'0 duds they've recruited to play quarterback for their team than the one or two in 20 years that got away.