Pope 34 yard TD run

1st quarter 4:26

Dressman good

21-0 CovCath

Dressman to Schmahl 31 yard TD pass

1st quarter 4:13

Dressman good

21-7 CovCath

Ryle intercepts Dressman and runs the ball to the 2 yard line and on the second plays scores

#7 QB 1 yard TD run

1st quarter 1:50

#11 good

27-7 CovCath

Dressman to Pope 55 yard TD pass

1st quarter 0:42.4 seconds

Dressman no good

35-7 CovCath

Bir 70 yard TD run

2nd quarter 8:25

Dressman runs for the 2 point conversion good

42-7 CovCath

Pope 2 yard TD run

2nd quarter 2:01

Dressman good

48-7 CovCath

Dressman 37 yard TD run

2nd quarter 0:18

Dressman no good

55-7 CovCath

Dressman 2 yard TD run

3rd quarter 4:36

Dressman good

Running clock, CovCath starters out of the game on both the "D" and "O" side of the ball.

62-7 CovCath

Rensing 2 yard TD run

3rd quarter 0:00

Kathman good

CovCath 3rd team "D' in the game....

62-14 CovCath

#14 1 yard TD run

4th quarter 0:30

#11 good

Dressman looks like he is going to be a heckuva varsity QB one day. Good size, runs very well, throws a great ball. The QB future of CCH looks pretty darn bright. And #28 (forgot his name) looks like he'll be a very good RB (actually, he already is).

I thought the announcer for this game was absolutely outstanding. :lol: (inside joke).

It was quite windy today and Dressman indeed impressed me a ton, as on one of his kickoffs the young man while kicking the ball into the wind, kicked the ball into the end zone! WOW

Congrats to the CovCath "D' as other than the last Ryle offensive series, heck even the 2 yard TD that Ryle scored, Ryle could not move the ball on the Colonels "D".

Offensive Stars of the game.

The Covington Catholic offensive Line. Great job gentlemen, heck even Theoldguy could have gained some yardage on the holes you opened up today for the team

Defensive Stars for the game.

The Covington Catholic Line Backers. More than once today the crowd from both sides let out a WOW on some of this young men hits. Outstanding job gentlemen.

Dressman looks like he is going to be a heckuva varsity QB one day. Good size, runs very well, throws a great ball. The QB future of CCH looks pretty darn bright. And #28 (forgot his name) looks like he'll be a very good RB (actually, he already is).

I thought the announcer for this game was absolutely outstanding. :lol: (inside joke).

He (the announcer) did do a great job, but the I didn't see that announcer painting the baseball backstop and fence along side the third base line, prior to the start of the football game, or are Theoldguy eyes failing him again! :lol:

#28 Nick Pope......

Serious question to theoldguy-when are these successful CCH Freshman campaigns going to lead to better results on the varsity level? I ask because I projected 2010 as the year the Colonels would be back in the hunt to compete with Highlands, but I now don't believe that will be the case.

He (the announcer) did do a great job, but the I didn't see that announcer painting the baseball backstop and fence along side the third base line, prior to the start of the football game, or are Theoldguy eyes failing him again! :lol:

#28 Nick Pope......

Yes, Pope. SHould have remembered the name. Lords know it was called enough during the game.

Yes, a little pre-game painting. :thumb: I wasn't completely sure that was you that stopped over. My eyes ain't so good these days either! Should have said something. I asked Ice after you left if it was you.

Serious question to theoldguy-when are these successful CCH Freshman campaigns going to lead to better results on the varsity level? I ask because I projected 2010 as the year the Colonels would be back in the hunt to compete with Highlands, but I now don't believe that will be the case.

Think about this if you will! The current senior class has played under two different head coaches and CovCath has had three different head coaches in the last five years. You can't have consistency with that many coaches with each doing his own thing.

Don't always wish for something that you might not like at a later time. See you Wednesday?

Should be a great game!

Think about this if you will! The current senior class has played under two different head coaches and CovCath has had three different head coaches in the last five years. You can't have consistency with that many coaches with each doing his own thing.

Don't always wish for something that you might not like at a later time. See you Wednesday?

Should be a great game!

I won't be there Wednesday, and wasn't looking to bash CCH. I really just want Northern Kentucky's best rivalry game (Highlands/CCH) to get back to that level. Probably outside of you and cchiradio-nobody wants cch to be more competitive than me.

I won't be there Wednesday, and wasn't looking to bash CCH. I really just want Northern Kentucky's best rivalry game (Highlands/CCH) to get back to that level. Probably outside of you and cchiradio-nobody wants cch to be more competitive than me.

I understood! :thumb:

Remember the Frosh game last year was close and Bir is now the Varsity starting QB. At one point in the NCC vs CovCath game I counted five sophomores playing on the "D" side of the ball in the fourth quarter.

Not at all counting out this current senior class as I am a it's never over until the fat lady sings type of guy and besides we don't have any fat ladies attending CovCath! :lol:

Cov Cath has had back to back very nice Freshman teams so IMO the rivalry will be there soon. Of course, HHS is solid every year as well it seems. Both these teams man handled Cooper's Frosh and Cooper beat Dixie and SK by a couple of scores so the gap may widen between Cov Cath, HHS and everyone else.

7-0 CovCath

Bir 75 yard TD run

1st quarter 8:32

Dressman good

14-0 CovCath

Pope 34 yard TD run

1st quarter 4:26

Dressman good

21-0 CovCath

Dressman to Schmahl 31 yard TD pass

1st quarter 4:13

Dressman good

21-7 CovCath

Ryle intercepts Dressman and runs the ball to the 2 yard line and on the second plays scores

#7 QB 1 yard TD run

1st quarter 1:50

#11 good

27-7 CovCath

Dressman to Pope 55 yard TD pass

1st quarter 0:42.4 seconds

Dressman no good

35-7 CovCath

Bir 70 yard TD run

2nd quarter 8:25

Dressman runs for the 2 point conversion good

42-7 CovCath

Pope 2 yard TD run

2nd quarter 2:01

Dressman good

48-7 CovCath

Dressman 37 yard TD run

2nd quarter 0:18

Dressman no good

55-7 CovCath

Dressman 2 yard TD run

3rd quarter 4:36

Dressman good

Running clock, CovCath starters out of the game on both the "D" and "O" side of the ball.

62-7 CovCath

Rensing 2 yard TD run

3rd quarter 0:00

Kathman good

CovCath 3rd team "D' in the game....

62-14 CovCath

#14 1 yard TD run

4th quarter 0:30

#11 good

WOW!!! Message sent! Message heard!

Cov Cath has had back to back very nice Freshman teams so IMO the rivalry will be there soon. Of course, HHS is solid every year as well it seems. Both these teams man handled Cooper's Frosh and Cooper beat Dixie and SK by a couple of scores so the gap may widen between Cov Cath, HHS and everyone else.

CovCath has had four straight excellent Freshman teams. When the current Seniors were Freshmen, they tied Highlands for the best record in their division (losing to HHS 7-6 on a last-second play). They didn't get to compete in the Freshman championship game that year because they lost a coin flip to Highlands. When this CCH Senior class played Highlands in JV as Sophmores, they blew Highlands out. The current Juniors also had an excellent Freshman team (again losing a close one with Highlands). This year's CCH Sophomores had a similar story - losing in OT to Highlands in the regular season and losing a close game with Highlands in the Freshman championship game.

CovCath has had four straight excellent Freshman teams. When the current Seniors were Freshmen, they tied Highlands for the best record in their division (losing to HHS 7-6 on a last-second play). They didn't get to compete in the Freshman championship game that year because they lost a coin flip to Highlands. When this CCH Senior class played Highlands in JV as Sophmores, they blew Highlands out. The current Juniors also had an excellent Freshman team (again losing a close one with Highlands). This year's CCH Sophomores had a similar story - losing in OT to Highlands in the regular season and losing a close game with Highlands in the Freshman championship game.

Here's my tired old take on using freshman and JV results to forecast varsity expectations.

Freshman ball can be too easily dominated by one or two good players especially at the skill positions. So you could have 8 average players along with 2 to 3 strong players and still win. Secondly, we're limiting the pool to one grade which isn't true at the varsity level. So we're talking best 9th graders against best 9th graders instead of best in the school (all grades) vs best in the school. Add in that a dominant freshman player (say Cory Crane who dominated freshman ball) doesn't always turn out to be a dominant player when everyone else matures. In addition, you have kids who are good at football but decide their varsity years will be spent on other sports.

JV is even worse IMO. Schools take different approaches. Some play just their best . Some work everyone into the game. Next you have some sophomores that never see a JV field. Austin Collinsworth didn't play JV. I'd bet the MLB whose name I'm forgetting (#19) didn't play JV. So when CCH sophomores were playing on JV against Highlands' sophs who weren't as good as those playing Highlands varsity it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Add in that JV is not always filled with great in-game coaching as it can be a teaching experience for young coaches.

Varsity ball is not even close to the game being played at the sub-varsity levels and there are too many variables to factor into future varsity success.