Ashland/Ironton (OH) Predictions

ryanparker

Who wins?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

In what should be one of the best games of the week, Ashland (4-0) heads to Tanks Memorial Stadium to face the always tough Ironton Tigers (3-0) coached by Ohio's all-time winningest coach, Bob Lutz.

Ashland has a speedy high powered spread offense that can eat up big yardage and put up big points via the air or the ground. Ironton will try to defend it with a little speed of their own in the defensive backfield along with a whole lot of power mixed in along the defensive front. Ironton will be one the hardest hitting teams Ashland will face this season, but can they catch any of the key Tomcats to deliver the big hits?

Ironton will run the T formation with a mix of fast and powerful backs behind a strong offensive line. Ashland will try to defend that by likely bringing extra defenders in the box in an attempt to test the Ironton passing game. Will Ashland be able to force Ironton out of the "3 yards and cloud of dust" game? If so, will Ironton be able to pass enough to keep drives alive and keep the potent Ashland offense off the field?

This is Ironton's home opener and Ashland's first game on the road after playing 3 straight at home. Ashland beat Ironton at Putnam Stadium for the first time in a long time last season so Ironton will be looking for revenge. One thing is certain, it should draw a huge crowd, particularly with several of the other area games shaping up to be yawners.

So...who wins?

"It's hard to win at Ironton." Heck, it's hard to beat Ironton no matter where you play. It's great to see this long, storied rivalry back to it's rightful place, with both programs doing well. Although an Ironton alumni, it has been hard watching Ashland's program struggle the past several years.

In this game it comes down to Ironton running game vs Ashland's quarterback. It's no mystery that Ironton has found the pass defense tough the past few years. Ashland's quarterback is as good as ironton will face. They must contain him. Last year Ironton was rightfully favored and they lost a game, that i feel they should have won. However, Ashland outplayed them, outhustled them and out hit them. They deserved to win last season. This season Ashland should be favored and as LC said they have a more talented team.

Maybe the Fighting Tigers can hang tough and shorten this game. I am going with an upset. In a game where you may not see a place kicker, I'll go Ironton 34-32.

A little history about this rivalry:

Ironton leads the series 42-29-3. However, when I entered high school the series was in Ashland's favor 17-26-3.

Bob Lutz is 28-5 vs. Ashland in his career. However, Coach Lutz lost his first two games to the Tomcats in 1974 and 1975.

A great crowd expected, come early.

Ironton is down this season. Well, if one can consider Ironton ever being down. Usually a down Ironton team will beat anyone on this side of the river handily.

I don't think so this season, Ashland has way too much for the Ironton crew.

Tomcats 35

Fighting Tigers 13

Painter and Graybeard will be dancing in the streets! :dancingpa

I've seen both up close and personal, Ashland is far superior. Ironton's backs altogether are probably more of a threat than Ashland's, and that's where the favor ends. However, if Ashland has trouble stopping the run between the tackles like they did vs. Greenup, it could be a long night. And as it's been stated, there is quite the homefield/state advantage as much as the buckeyes would like to poopoo that notion. That alone will keep it close. I'll say Ashland by a touchdown. I hope it's far more.

Actually, Ironton and Ashland never played in the decade of the 1930's. In 1990, Ashland won at Ironton and last year Ashland won at Putnam Stadium. In between Ironton won equally at ironton and at Ashland. I guess Ironton has a home field/State advantage in Kentucky as well.

Actually, Ironton and Ashland never played in the decade of the 1930's. In 1990, Ashland won at Ironton and last year Ashland won at Putnam Stadium. In between Ironton won equally at ironton and at Ashland. I guess Ironton has a home field/State advantage in Kentucky as well.

I was being sarcastic AO. No matter the series record, I sure hope Ashland puts another notch on their side of the belt come Friday.