A Look Into "With A Spirit That Will Not Die"

cshs81

We might as well close this thread. As usual, someone has to step in and turn it into a negative. I get it. Imagine that, a group of 15-18 year old boys in a group sometimes say things we , AS ADULTS, wish they would have thought about before letting it come out of their mouth.

It happens. Hopefully, parents use it as a "teaching opportunity" as I've done.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at how this thread has turned.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We might as well close this thread. As usual, someone has to step in and turn it into a negative. I get it. Imagine that, a group of 15-18 year old boys in a group sometimes say things we , AS ADULTS, wish they would have thought about before letting it come out of their mouth.

While I think the boys are fantical about their school, I have heard more than one thing that was inappropriate. I know that they will say and do things in a fanatical fashion and accept that as who they are. They do cross the line with their verbal attacks and chants IMO, yet most teams would love to have them cheering for them. Our own student section is not a group of angels so singleing out just one school seems a bit extreme to me. I dislike the vulgarity, but love the fanaticism. I don't see anyone at this school or any other who does much about this type of thing, so I disagree with the statement that certain people take this serious and are just waiting for the phone to light up with calls. Everyone knows the problem exists, and most of us ignore it and take it for what it is.

While I think the boys are fantical about their school, I have heard more than one thing that was inappropriate. I know that they will say and do things in a fanatical fashion and accept that as who they are. They do cross the line with their verbal attacks and chants IMO, yet most teams would love to have them cheering for them. Our own student section is not a group of angels so singleing out just one school seems a bit extreme to me. I dislike the vulgarity, but love the fanaticism. I don't see anyone at this school or any other who does much about this type of thing, so I disagree with the statement that certain people take this serious and are just waiting for the phone to light up with calls. Everyone knows the problem exists, and most of us ignore it and take it for what it is.

You are correct; kids at EVERY school say inappopriate things; heck, ADULTS say inappropriate things for that matter; kids say inappropriate things though and should be corrected. There are good and bad at every school and in all walks of life-I believe most are good.

No doubt. We all have stories about incidents that have happened with other school's fan. Why someone would list them sounds like sour grapes to me.

I don't see anyone at this school or any other who does much about this type of thing, so I disagree with the statement that certain people take this serious and are just waiting for the phone to light up with calls. Everyone knows the problem exists, and most of us ignore it and take it for what it is.

Trust me, I've been through it. The administration at CCH takes these matters very seriously. While not much may be done with a phone call, it sure wouldn't hurt if some on here are truly as offended as they seem to be. I can assure you that there are punishments in order, when they are aware of the matter.

Like I said, I've seen them throw part of the student section out of the game for a period of time, and I know of at least one student who was no longer allowed to attend basketball games because of his actions in the stands. Ever since the Cov Cath / Beechwood incident, CCH has really tightened up. If you look closely, you'll always see a few members of the faculty / staff in front of the student section.

Trust me, I've been through it. The administration at CCH takes these matters very seriously. While not much may be done with a phone call, it sure wouldn't hurt if some on here are truly as offended as they seem to be. I can assure you that there are punishments in order, when they are aware of the matter.

Like I said, I've seen them throw part of the student section out of the game for a period of time, and I know of at least one student who was no longer allowed to attend basketball games because of his actions in the stands. Ever since the Cov Cath / Beechwood incident, CCH has really tightened up. If you look closely, you'll always see a few members of the faculty / staff in front of the student section.

Here's my point, I graduated close to 25 years ago from Cov Cath. We had the same problem then as now. The administration new about it then, they know about it now. Someone would call and they would make a fuss about student behavior during the games, then sure as I'm standing here things would eventually go back to where they were. No one should have to call. If these guys were serious, they would stand in front of the student section the entire game and take action. I can't help but feel that the lack of effort put forth to curb this activity speaks to the interest they have in detering it. I am not saying this only about CCH, as I think many schools have the same problems.

I think you guys are taking yourselves way too seriously.

I'm sure there's some horseplay that goes on in the stands, but I've never had a problem with an unruly STUDENT disrupting a game. I've certainly seen many a parent make an ugly fool of himself in front of a couple thousand children.

Be a role model. The kids will follow your lead.

offside

I think you guys are taking yourselves way too seriously.

I'm sure there's some horseplay that goes on in the stands, but I've never had a problem with an unruly STUDENT disrupting a game. I've certainly seen many a parent make an ugly fool of himself in front of a couple thousand children.

Be a role model. The kids will follow your lead.

offside

If you ever quit officiating, go stand near the student section and listen to what they say to the opposition kids, it will be eye opening. No where did I say that the problem was limited to yelling at players on the field.

The best way to deal with an obnoxious student section is to just beat their team on the field. Works everytime. I must say though if your going to go with the slogan "With a Spirit That Will Not Die" I would think it would hold truer if the student section didn't start filing out of the stands before the end of the game, win or lose. At the last CCH home game the TV announcers and the radio announcers commented on that. :walk: