Bellevue Hires Former Bengal LB

Clyde

From Ernst's blog:

The nine-year NFL veteran and former Bengals linebacker will call the defense for one of the smallest football-playing schools in the state. Here’s how he ended up in Tigertown.

In May, Bellevue hired Russ Shearer as its head coach. One of Shearer’s former players had met Webster at the University of Cincinnati, where the latter is finishing up his degree. With UC’s staff full and Webster wanting to break into coaching, Shearer offered him a job.

“He’s an exceptional coach and the kids love him,” said Shearer. “The guy has a Super Bowl ring. … I will say this though. I love Nate Webster as a coach, but I hope he’s not coaching for me next year. He has too much talent and knowledge to be coaching with us right now.

“But we’re happy to have him.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/07/08/bellevues-new-defensive-coordinator-is/

Wow now thats impressive! Maybe these guys can stop up to Caketown on their way out as well!

Nah, Caketown has their own Pillsbury Throw Boy, aka...Jared Lorenzen working with their staff.

This is pretty cool for the Tigers to get a chance to work with these guys who have seen things most coaches have never and will never see.

:rolleyes:

Yeah I can see where Highlands needs that kind of "help":rolleyes:

Haha having some NFL players helping out can't hurt anyone but I'm happy for Bellevue and they are making strides in the right direction to getting on NCC's and Beechwood's level in Class A.

As if right now Coach Webster is the only former or current NFL player that is helping Bellevue. After talking to a couple others and Nate working on getting some "volunteer" assistants I feel like we will get a few hours here and there from some others. Nothing is confirmed right now though. Some of the other players mentioned have very tight schedules. We appreciate them considering us as we try to take this program to the next level but right now it is not confirmed.

Russ Shearer

Haha having some NFL players helping out can't hurt anyone but I'm happy for Bellevue and they are making strides in the right direction to getting on NCC's and Beechwood's level in Class A.

I like what Bellevue is doing. Unfortunately with 6 classes of football in Kentucky now, the Tigers only have to worry about Beechwood in class A as NCC is now 2A, and before a snap is made the Thoroughbreds have made the playoffs in 2010

Remember, some people coach cause they can't play! Just because you are a good player doesn't mean you can coach. But it sure does help one heck of a lot!

It takes a person a while to learn how to deal with the mentality of todays players(and their parents). Their is much more to coaching especially at small schools than X's and O's.

If these players are helping out from time to time that is awesome, but the impact from them will be seen more at the excitement level than what coaching lessons they may bring.