Highlands football banquet

jbwill2

I'm just curious what other banquets are like. Do they serve lunch? Do they show highlights? Do they recognize every player , Freshman thru Senior? How long do other teams banquets last?

Raceland's banquet is about two to three hours long. There is a dinner for the players, parents, coaches, and fans. After dinner everyone goes to the auditorium to recognize the players. The players are recognized by grade and given their varsity letter and certificate. Raceland did away with individual awards several years ago and focuses on team awards. The only individual awards given are given from outside agencies, such as: All-State, All-Area, All-District, and the such. A highlight film is shown as everyone enters, and a portion is shown while everyone is getting seated, but the entire film is not shown. The highlight film is then available for purchase by anyone who wants a copy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood's banquet is usually around 3 hours including a meal.

The freshman coach will handle freshman awards and recognition. There are usually only one or two individual freshman awards handed out (MVP or best offense and best defense player) and the freshman coach will talk about the team and the season.

The head coach handles all the varsity players. Sophomores will get introduced and come up front to receive their letter if one was earned. The same for the juniors. Commentary on the underclass players is limited. Coach will comment on each class as a group. The seniors are the focus of all awards and recognition. Coach does a nice job detailing each senior's career and the contribution he made to the team and program. Coach loves his seniors and it shows as he talks about each player. There are only a handful of individual awards given out by the varsity coaches and those all go to seniors. All players who were named to all star teams (conference, all state, etc.) receive those awards from the coaches at the banquet as well. A highlight reel runs throughout the evening.

Did anyone film the Laurel & Hardy act....ooops, I mean Cris and Jeff's speech?

Cris better watch out...Brian Beck did an outstanding job with post game interviews on the hi-lite film!!

Beck is a much, much bigger threat to Cris than the other guy that was on the stage with Cris, that's for dang certain. :thumb:

I was very touched by the "other guy's" insight. Explaining to the seniors that they they were now part of the Highlands football fraternity was very meaningful. I could see it registering in the eyes of fathers that played for Highlands, the seniors boys and the underclassman. Chris and Jeff were a perfect duo. Great year, great banquet! ---Robo mom