Franklin County Coaching Update?

CoachBuckett

The only happens when softball or baseball is in season, and football is not. It is because in the FC fieldhouse, the batting cages and the weight room are in the same room.

If you have 50 football players, and 30 softball players in the same room it can get extremely chaotic. Football is not getting the shaft at FC. They get as much support as any other sport, and they are the #1 priority when they are in season.

The most important thing to a successful football program is the offseason strength and conditioning program.

However, I have a solution that is easy. On any day that the softball team needs to use the weightroom the football team can do plyometrics outside. We lift M,W,F and do plyo's outside Tues and Thur. I would say the softball team would probably be willing to schedule their inside work on Tues or Thurs so that the schedule works for everyone! Just a thought!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that was the point. I believe, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, the were forced out because the weather was bad and the softball team wanted to practice inside that day.

We do plyo's outside no matter what the weather is (as long as there is no lightning) just like we play football. We were outside when it was 8 degrees and snowing and with school being called off we still had 85% or better show up on those days. Mental toughness will take you a long way in the 4th quarter when the score is close!

I want to wish coach Stepp luck with his new position and I am sure F.C will workout their weightroom issue. If this only happens a few times a year it probably isn't that big of issue!

I did some research on Stepp. This is what I found out. Played high school ball under Bill Letton @ Prestonsburg. He started his coaching career @ Sheldon Clark under Jim Matney (Now at Johnson Central). He left there to work under Jay Cobb @ Knott Co. When Cobb left to Somerset, Stepp went to Berea to take a job no one else wanted.

He stayed at Berea 4 years.. His first year there he was 2-8. The following season they went 8-3 and lost in the playoffs to Newport Central Catholic. They lost in the playoffs the next year to Newport Central Catholic again, who was a state runner up in class A. The next year they lost to Beachwood.

He took the job at Clay. He went 0-10 his first season and 4-6 the next year. 4 Consecutive trips to the playoffs after that.

Take away his first year at Beara (2-8) and first year at Clay 0-10

His record would be 57-43. Both of these were rebuild projects. His first year at Harrison was respectable with a 6-6 record and a district championship.

Finally, Keep in mind that Stepp is only 36 years old. I am sure Franklin Co. was looking for a young guy with experience. It is hard to find a 36 year old coach with 11 years of head coaching experience.

Stepp’s Playoff Record

L Berea vs. Newport Central Catholic

L Berea vs. Newport Central Catholic

L Berea vs Beachwood

L Clay Co. vs Boyd CO

L Clay Co. vs. Ashland Paul Blazer

L Clay Co. vs. Rockcastle Co.

W Clay Co. Vs. Perry Co. Central

L Clay Co vs. Letcher Co. Central (11-2)

W Harrison Co. vs. West Jesamine

L Harrison Co. vs. Lexington Catholic

One other thing, Which playoff games should Stepp have won which he didn’t ?

I don't think you have done your research. It was only 2 years ago that Franklin County went to Lexington Catholic and was up by about 35 at half time only to fall a foot short in double-overtime to the Princeton Spread and Ben Revere. The following week Lex Cath lost to Cov Cath in overtime. Cov Cath won the state championship game by a landslide a week later. The problem Franklin County has had over the past 5 years is that they had to play Highlands until things were re-districted. Franklin County would have most likely beaten the Boyle County teams when Ammons was there. However, Ammons was one of the best high school competitors to ever come through FCHS. Some kids just compete. Honestly, the game w/ Catholic was very similar to the Trinity / Male game that was played at Papa John's when Brohm squeeked out a win against one of Kentucky's best ever... It was the Revere & Ammons show...

I was there for that game, too. One heckuva game, and I still can't believe Catholic came back after being down 32-7 at the half.

That is tops on my list of games I have covered.

It was a great game indeed just did not like the outcome. FC shut down their Base offense but they had something up their sleeve for sure. Blocked punt was the game changer, that and about 4 first downs by penalty for LC.

Trust me, technique. I didn't like the outcome, either, and I'm supposed to be unbiased and all. And that was one of my last articles for the Frankfort paper.