What would coach Pardue have to do to be deemed successful?

Oldbird

Lots of sniping going on nowadays in Boyle County. I would say that wins and losses don't matter. I never have really concerned myself with the team's record. After last night, I wonder what football mom will say to her kid when he is the one pacing the sidelines in tears, will she still be supportive when her kid isn't being "competitive" enough to keep his position? My main concern is how these kids are being treated by the present coaching staff. It just doesn't seem right. The season still is salvageable, provided the team can remain a team despite what happened Friday night. I just hope the seniors can create some kind of good memories from this year, but right now it doesn't seem possible. There is so much pressure put on these kids to perform at the Boyle County Rebel standard of playing football. However, in the long run, we all should just want what is best for all the kids. There have been times when coaches have gone into rebuilding mode and not made the older kids feel like losers. It is possible to prepare your JV teams for varsity play without kicking your older players. That's all I am saying. There is a right and a wrong way to do things, and this rebuilding in the middle of a winnable game is not right. I hope the coaching staff can actually understand where we are coming from. I only know one of the coaches and I like this man alot, but I totally disagree with how things are being handled. Will I discuss it with him, maybe, but I doubt it. I'd like to, but around here, in Boyle County, you are talking to a stone wall when you talk to the middle school coaches about football, I can only imagine where they they learned that from. I have every reason to believe Pardue is a good and capable coach. You don't learn from one of the best and not have a vast knowledge of the game. I just hope they do right by the kids. Is that so much to ask?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Pardue was deemed successful last night when he went above and beyond what most football coaches in the state of KY would have done. He actually played the members of the football team that actually focused and were determined to play football. Not just the older ones that assume they firmly hold their positions without competition. Competition is a good thing! My hat is off to the coach for being a leader for the "whole team"!

What he did was create a rift in the team between upper and lower classes. He humiliated and alienated his seniors. And now the team is pulling apart in times of crisis instead of rallying around each other. A leader might tear down his players but then build them up again, and not create tension amongst the team. And competition is good, it just has to be fair, not biased towards a certain class.

Personally, I think that Boyle is at a major cross-roads here, and this is the most crucial time ever, for the program. It can go either way, and it will take tremendous work and effort to keep it going where it is.

:thumb: :thumb: Good post.....I personally think the same thing.....

Lots of sniping going on nowadays in Boyle County. I would say that wins and losses don't matter. I never have really concerned myself with the team's record. After last night, I wonder what football mom will say to her kid when he is the one pacing the sidelines in tears, will she still be supportive when her kid isn't being "competitive" enough to keep his position? My main concern is how these kids are being treated by the present coaching staff. It just doesn't seem right. The season still is salvageable, provided the team can remain a team despite what happened Friday night. I just hope the seniors can create some kind of good memories from this year, but right now it doesn't seem possible. There is so much pressure put on these kids to perform at the Boyle County Rebel standard of playing football. However, in the long run, we all should just want what is best for all the kids. There have been times when coaches have gone into rebuilding mode and not made the older kids feel like losers. It is possible to prepare your JV teams for varsity play without kicking your older players. That's all I am saying. There is a right and a wrong way to do things, and this rebuilding in the middle of a winnable game is not right. I hope the coaching staff can actually understand where we are coming from. I only know one of the coaches and I like this man alot, but I totally disagree with how things are being handled. Will I discuss it with him, maybe, but I doubt it. I'd like to, but around here, in Boyle County, you are talking to a stone wall when you talk to the middle school coaches about football, I can only imagine where they they learned that from. I have every reason to believe Pardue is a good and capable coach. You don't learn from one of the best and not have a vast knowledge of the game. I just hope they do right by the kids. Is that so much to ask?

First off... you may have never worried about wins and losses, but I've watched Boyle Co and their "fans" for the past 30 years and they certainly watch the W & Ls... And of all the sniping going on... when the parents aren't happy and their mouthing about it in front of their kids (players) then that filters down to the player and now Coach Pardue is not only having to deal with the kid... but the parents and what they've put in their kids' heads.

Secondly... yes, there is so much pressure on these kids... who do you think that comes from? The entire Boyle Co fan base had put pressure on Coach Pardue from day one that only a run at a state title would deem him succesful... that is nuts!!! The parents, community and coaches have ALL had expectations from these players... it isn't to rest soley on the coaches that they have put so much pressure on these kids. Parents are some of the worst sometimes!!

And finally... coaches, whether middle school or high school, don't need to give explanations to mom/dad or community fans everytime things get rough. Would people go to the coaches and ask for the secret of their success when they're winning?? I doubt it!! Mommy, daddy, and everybody else think they deserve to be able to go to the coach and talk... or to the assistant coaches... to get answers. To be honest... the coaches don't owe anybody that! If you have 100 people... its likely that you'll have 100 different opinions/answers/views. A couple of years ago 99% of the Boyle Co folks said it was a no brainer to hire Pardue for the job as he was the only one that knew what it took. Well.... leave him alone and let him do his job. He is only in year 2 of this thing and if you thought he was so great then... how could you be so wrong now??:thumb:

Its tough to stay on top after clawing your way there, but when someone else leads you there and then gets swept away on a UK chopper and Chuck yells good luck Chris!......Coach Pardue needs to at least maintain the same level of success that Coach Smith had BC accustomed to. Anything less will be considered failure by many Rebels. This of course is a no win situation for the coaches. good luck to all the Rebels, coaches & players alike.:thumb:

First off... you may have never worried about wins and losses, but I've watched Boyle Co and their "fans" for the past 30 years and they certainly watch the W & Ls... And of all the sniping going on... when the parents aren't happy and their mouthing about it in front of their kids (players) then that filters down to the player and now Coach Pardue is not only having to deal with the kid... but the parents and what they've put in their kids' heads.

Secondly... yes, there is so much pressure on these kids... who do you think that comes from? The entire Boyle Co fan base had put pressure on Coach Pardue from day one that only a run at a state title would deem him succesful... that is nuts!!! The parents, community and coaches have ALL had expectations from these players... it isn't to rest soley on the coaches that they have put so much pressure on these kids. Parents are some of the worst sometimes!!

And finally... coaches, whether middle school or high school, don't need to give explanations to mom/dad or community fans everytime things get rough. Would people go to the coaches and ask for the secret of their success when they're winning?? I doubt it!! Mommy, daddy, and everybody else think they deserve to be able to go to the coach and talk... or to the assistant coaches... to get answers. To be honest... the coaches don't owe anybody that! If you have 100 people... its likely that you'll have 100 different opinions/answers/views. A couple of years ago 99% of the Boyle Co folks said it was a no brainer to hire Pardue for the job as he was the only one that knew what it took. Well.... leave him alone and let him do his job. He is only in year 2 of this thing and if you thought he was so great then... how could you be so wrong now??:thumb:

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post except that part.

Why don't the coaches have to talk to parents? I'm not saying they have to agree with parents but why not talk if asked to?

Teachers have to talk all the time with parents and many of those parents are in their rooms more than once to discuss their child's education. Most times the fault lies with the parents or kids moreso than the teacher but they still have to meet with them. Why are coaches above this process of dialogue? (I'm not saying that the coach should agree to what a parent is saying but they should be open enough to talk about their decisions and their interpretations of the kids' performance.)

BTW, I wasn't upset with the Pardue hire but I did wonder if he could go from Assistant to Head Coach after all those years "behind the man." Many of the best assistants are great at that and not being the Head Guy. If you wonder what's the difference, we might be seeing that answer unfold in front of us.

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post except that part.

Why don't the coaches have to talk to parents? I'm not saying they have to agree with parents but why not talk if asked to?

Teachers have to talk all the time with parents and many of those parents are in their rooms more than once to discuss their child's education. Most times the fault lies with the parents or kids moreso than the teacher but they still have to meet with them. Why are coaches above this process of dialogue? (I'm not saying that the coach should agree to what a parent is saying but they should be open enough to talk about their decisions and their interpretations of the kids' performance.)

BTW, I wasn't upset with the Pardue hire but I did wonder if he could go from Assistant to Head Coach after all those years "behind the man." Many of the best assistants are great at that and not being the Head Guy. If you wonder what's the difference, we might be seeing that answer unfold in front of us.

Coaches aren't above talking to parents... so I didn't mean to come across that way, but when a coach has to explain himself to parents of 60+ kids on his team... when does he have time to coach?? True, parents visit the classroom and talk to teachers, but I hope you would agree that parents get far more fired up over their kids on athletic teams than they do in the classroom... sad, but I think this is true. Sure... a coach should listen or talk if a parent has questions... 1 time/conversation per parent... after that no one should be calling the coach complaining about playing time, play calling, etc. That is for the principal and AD to discuss with the coach... not the parents.

In my opinion, Pardue is a 'gutsy' guy for the simple fact that he knew he would be compared to the almighty Chuck Smith and he still wanted the job! That says alot about him in my opinion. He knew he would pay heck if he didn't 'measure up', but he wanted the job anyway! So... his heart very well looks to be in it for the kids and the program as a whole since he had to have seen the potential for rough waters ahead. Who in their right mind would have wanted to come in right behind Chuck Smith?? Some assistant coaches don't make the best head coaches... I don't know in this case... but 2 years ago the Boyle 'faithful' (those on bgpreps) insisted Pardue get the job!! Well... they got what they wanted and they still aren't happy. So, I suggest to all who think they may be able to do a better job to apply when it comes open. It is so easy to run the program from home and behind a computer... I say the upset/disappointed parents and/or fans need to apply when the job is open and get down in the trenches with them and show us how it should be ran.:thumb:

Personally if it comes to playing time, I used to tell my parents in the start of the year parent meeting that I would NEVER discuss playing time with them. When you start talking to parents about playing time it is a can of worms that will never be closed again. High school kids are young men. They need to learn a life lesson when it comes to playing time. If they aren't happy then they need to come to the coach and ask him face to face why they aren't playing. I've never known a coach that if approached the right way by a player that wouldn't sit down and explain to him why he wasn't playing etc. It is a great chance for a kid to be able to talk to an adult about a tough situation with a coach that is going to be understanding with his player if he cares about his kids. The kids learn ZERO if the parents are the one's talking to the coaches.

Coach Pardue was deemed successful last night when he went above and beyond what most football coaches in the state of KY would have done. He actually played the members of the football team that actually focused and were determined to play football. Not just the older ones that assume they firmly hold their positions without competition. Competition is a good thing! My hat is off to the coach for being a leader for the "whole team"!

If there were three children in a room, and one of those children did something wrong - would a parent punish all three of the children? The answer to that question is no.

I think that bottom line to all of these discussions is this - why punish everyone for what some are not doing? If a kid isn't holding up his end at practice and in the game, then as the coach, he should make the decision to bench that kid and put someone in who wants to play.

I know for a fact that there were some kids on that varsity line who have played their hearts out; and they were also benched. There are some things in life that are right and there are some that are wrong. To put all of those kids on the sideline was just flat out wrong. If a statement is needed, please make that statement; but make that statement to the ones who need it, and don't make all of them pay.

I've watched this team for over 30 years, and our family has had the honor of having 5 of our family play for this team. Never in all these years have I felt the need to ask WHY; but I do ask that question now. If you tell kids long enough and often enough that they are bad and have no talent, they will begin to start believing it.

I truly hope that all of this can be put behind us, and a new chapter started on monday. I hope these kids can hold up their heads and continue to give this program, that they love so much, as much as they can. All you can possibly ask of anyone is to give as much as they can and try as hard as they can. If a kid that we love so much continues to do that, then we will never ask any more of him.

Boyle County Football is going to be just fine don't worry. Doubters will doubt, Fair weather fans will complain, but the fact of the matter is the wins are going to roll in the rest of this year, and the next four to five for sure. Boyle County will make another run with Pardue at the helm and it will be impressive. The talent they have in the Sophomore, Freshman, 8th grade and 7th grade class will be competitors. They will be special groups, just wait and see. And then all of the Questioning Fans/Parents will understand exactly what is happening. I seem to recall a pretty talented bunch of Sophomores that stepped up in 1998 (Duggins/Leffews/Quinns/etc.) when Upperclassmen were not getting the job done, and that group started a pretty darn impressive run from 1999-2004. Keep that in the back of your mind.

It's a good thing ln isn't a Boyle Co fan right now... :sssh:

Even though I'm not a Boyle Co fan, this thread and the other associated ones still cause me a lot of pain and disappointment because I respect their program so much. I hope and pray the parents and coaches of Boyle Co are making sure the players are not anywhere near BGP.