What would coach Pardue have to do to be deemed successful?

Oldbird

First off congrats to Coach Pardue. By all accounts you hear on this site he has earned the chance.

However following Coach Smith is something no in this state has approached. Yes other top programs have lost coaches and had to replace them (Harp took over at Danville, Beatty at Trinity, Mueller at Highlands, etc.), but no coach has ever had to take over a program in the midst of a run like Boyle has been on.

My question is this, did he inherit the most difficult job in the state? Not because Boyle doesn't have talent, facilities, support, or any of the other qualities to be successful, but just becasuse the expectations are so high it would be nearly impossible to continue the recent historical success.

Boyle has been on the greatest run in state history. Obviously if Coach Pardue went on a similar run the natives would be happy, but what if he falls short of the near impossible. How patient will the fans be? At a minimum what would it take to keep a smile on Who Ya With's and Rebel's face? :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure it is the most difficult job in the state. Highlands in my opinion is the toughest. I think expectations are reasonable for now for Pardue. The talent pool at BC from what I am hearing will be down for a couple of years. I think for Pardue to be a "success", he would have to maintain the attacking style of offense, develop a QB, and make it deep in the playoffs. He will have to show the same work ethic of Smith and commitment to winning. I think if he puts a competitive team on the field that the fans will support him. Even with all their success recently, most longtime fans remember the humble years, and they don't ever want to return to them.

Speaking as a true life long Rebel fan...please let me say the following....Coach Purdue has been with Chuck Smith for years and has learned from the best...now that being said, everyone should know that Coach Purdue will be his own man and run his own show. I feel strongly that our boys will be pleased and are pleased that Chris will be the next coach. We do remember the years that a win was something that the other team did. I would hope that we aren't so selfish that we can't understand if our wins aren't as many as in the past few years. I, myself, feel that Boyle County will be just fine. The talent pool is down....I don't think so....I think that a lot of people are going to be quite surprise at what our boys have to offer...We have a lot of kids on this team that practice and play their hearts out and should be appreicated for that. Boyle County did not get to this place in football history without understanding hard work and the team concept and they will not change with the change of a coach. Believe it or not, we'd just be thrilled to get to a semi-final game as I'm sure every team in Kentucky would be...so what would our reaction be...well my reaction would be thrilled to death that these kids gave it their all and did as good as a job as they could...and trust me...they will give it their all...because that's what they have been taught to do......GO REBELS.... :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

He has to keep playing at that level and Win a championship. The bar has been set so high at Boyle anything less will be a failure in the eyes of the public.

I guess it depends on your definition of public. As an alum, (and someone with half a brain cell) I do not expect the current run to continue at level it has. In fact this year in some minds snapped the run because the Rebels lost the title. I for one would be fine with the success of winning, making runs in the playoffs and when possible, competing for the title. That's all anyone should want - the opportunity to compete for the title. Highlands was the better team this year but Boyle had the chance to play for the title and I for one have never thought that was somehow underachieving.

Is the talent pool less - probably. I don't know. How long can you continue the run of Div. 1 and 1AA talent that Boyle has in the last 6 or 7 years? For all of Danville's rich tradition even they have not produced this many Div 1 and 1AA kids in so short a time. But what they do have is a program that continues to succeed through the ebb and flow of talent. Boyle will now be tested to do the same. Boyle had a pretty good program until the early 80's and did not pass the test of continuing that tradition. My hope and belief is that they will pass it this time.

Certainly Coach Smith is a great coach but he also has had a great run of talent. Even if Coach Pardue is every bit the coach as Coach Smith, it's unlikely that the talent level will remain as high as it's been. I think he's got his work cut out for him. Coach Pardue doesn't have to win it every year but he does need to contend for a title. Otherwise Boyle will not be seen as a successful program (like Trintiy, St X. etc..) but will be viewed as a program that had success under Smith.

Personally, I think that Boyle is at a major cross-roads here, and this is the most crucial time ever, for the program. It can go either way, and it will take tremendous work and effort to keep it going where it is.

That is an excellent point. The fans in most KY communities need to remember that these things often go in cycles. When you have good cycles, it is normally due to getting good groups of players as well as good coaching. During the bad cycles, you may still have the good coaching, but don't have the same level of talent/commitment in the groups while other teams may be having good cycles. This doesn't apply as much to larger schools in more metro areas which always have good numbers (several teams don't have as many total members of a team as many schools have in 1 class), but is more of an impact in smaller communities. I expect this coach to do a great job and continue the winning tradition, but I would hate to see the expectation be win a title or else. What BC has accomplished the past 6 years is amazing and probably will not be duplicated. I hope the fans realize that. :thumb: Good luck to the Rebels and their new coach!

First.... Us Rebels fans are not spoiled as much as the whole state seems to think we are. Most of us realize that what Boyle has done in the past has never been done before, and most likely will not be done again. We do not have to win the championship every year to be happy. If we can compete with the best that state has in 3A football, everybody here will be just fine and content.

Second.... If Boyle never wins another Championship. I can live with it, and be happy the rest of my life. I have all the memories to last me a life time from the past 6 years, that the rest of the state had to set back and watch. :D