Julian Tackett sent this out, the more exposure it gets, the better:

theguru

Good afternoon. A few reminders to each of you who sponsor a football team. This is being sent not only to the coaches, but to the Athletic Director, Principal and Superintendent. Please ensure, particularly if people are new in these roles and may not receive the information, that this is forwarded to all concerned.

CONTACT PRACTICE EQUIPMENT REMINDER

No football gear, other than a helmet, can be worn until the first allowable day for contact practice. The first date for contact practice (where anything other than the helmet may be worn) is August 1, unless school starts at a time to allow an earlier start. The chart below gives clear detail on when anything other than the helmet can be worn.

First date of School for Student Body
First allowable date for contact practice with any equipment other than a helmet
July 31
July 22
August 1
July 23
August 4
July 24
August 5
July 25
August 6
July 28
August 7
July 29
August 8
July 30
August 11
July 31
August 12 and later
August 1

INSURANCE FOR JULY 15 to FIRST DATE OF CONTACT PRACTICE

The preseason activity under the direct supervision of the high school coaches in football on or after July 15 is covered by the Catastrophic Insurance plan, provided that activity is on campus, non-contact, non-interscholastic and no equipment is worn with the exception of a helmet. It is also required that all provisions of the Heat Index program be monitored and recorded. Any activity contradictory to this rule is not covered by the catastrophic insurance including practices where shoulder pads or other equipment are worn, and 7 on 7 competitions.

HEAT INDEX RECORDING REMINDERS

All schools must properly record the heat index in all fall sports on form GE20 which is available on the KHSAA web site at http://www.khsaa.org/forms/ge20.pdf or http://www.khsaa.org/forms/ge20.doc. In the past, there have been several questions related to games, practices and the heat index program and we need to make sure all school personnel are aware of a few things.

1) The heat index reading is taken at the competition site, right where the play is to occur. In some artificial turf venues for outdoor sports, that affects readings, however it is very much a true indication of the heat that exists at that time.

2) The reading is to be taken inside of a gym where practice or competition is being held, if either 1) the air conditioning isn’t working or 2) the building isn’t air conditioned.

3) Contest officials do not have jurisdiction over what is done with the reading. They do however, have jurisdiction not to start a contest if game administration cannot verify the readings were taken.

4) In certain sports, there are period and rules allowances that permit the normal stoppage of play for rest. Soccer has period adjustments possible within the rules, and football has heat/humidity time out provisions, for example. All legal avenues should be used to ensure participant safety.

5) If there is a temperature of 100, but no humidity, there is still a heat index of 100.

6) Once a reading has occurred that requires adjustments to practice or play, additional readings are to be taken on 30 minute intervals to determine other adjustments that need to be made. For this reason, game times may be delayed.

7) Though this type of break involves some difficult tracking if during competition, the obligation is to ensure that the game management executes this program.

8) Games played at neutral sites, the obligation falls to home management, not the designated home team

These reminders about the heat index thresholds –

1) Heat Index (chart combination of temperature and humidity AT THE SITE) of 95-99, there are to be mandatory stoppages of practice/play not less than every thirty minutes, and at each stoppage, the breaks must be 10 minutes in length. In addition, if the sport requires protective equipment (i.e. soccer shin guards, football shoulder pads, etc.), then this type of equipment is to be removed when the athletes are not involved in contact activity (i.e. soccer scrimmaging/playing, football practice against another person, etc.).

2) Heat Index (chart combination of temperature and humidity AT THE SITE) of 100-104, there are to be mandatory stoppages of practice/play not less than every thirty minutes, and at each stoppage, the breaks must be 10 minutes in length. In addition, if the sport requires protective equipment (i.e. soccer shin guards, football shoulder pads, etc.), then the activity must be suspended until the heat index is back below the 100 threshold. For example, in heat index readings of this level, neither soccer nor football games could be played. Individual decisions could be made about competitions in volleyball, golf and cross country.

3) Heat Index (chart combination of temperature and humidity AT THE SITE) of above 104, all activity stops in all sports.

Being mindful that these heat conditions are not the “fault” of anyone, hopefully we can all work together to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the participating teams, coaches, fans and officials, all of whom are effected by this weather.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

"If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." —Abraham Lincoln

Julian Tackett

Julian Tackett, Assistant Commissioner

jtackett@khsaa.org

859-299-5472 (phone)

859-293-5999 (fax)

I prefer realist.:D:D

I will go another step. You could take any rule and I bet you could figure out someway around it without technically breaking the rule. It may obliterate the spirit of the rule but not break it.

Any coach who tries to find away to break the Heat index rules is putting his career in jeopardy. Most H.S. football coaches have to turn in their heat index charts to their AD's on a daily or weekly basis.

I have a heat index checking question. We check ours every 30 minutes from the first day of practice until whatever the mandatory day is in September. If I am reading this correctly, this is not required. Let's say at a 6:00 pm practice, your heat index is 91, unless there are extreme changes, it is just going to go down after that. Since the heat index is not even at the first "level" of 95-99, does this one reading count at the only reading needed in such a situation?

I have a heat index checking question. We check ours every 30 minutes from the first day of practice until whatever the mandatory day is in September. If I am reading this correctly, this is not required. Let's say at a 6:00 pm practice, your heat index is 91, unless there are extreme changes, it is just going to go down after that. Since the heat index is not even at the first "level" of 95-99, does this one reading count at the only reading needed in such a situation?

According to #6 on the Heat index rules it says you have to take it every 30 minutes if the heat index requires you to adjust practice. However, AD's have instructed and it has been heavily emphasized to do it every 30 minutes regardless, because the weather can change quickly. At the start of practice it may be cloudy, 10 minutes later, sunny, hot and humid. Better to be safe than sorry.

Are any teams having problems practicing in just helmets? Seems to me that it would be difficult to get good pad level and hand placement without shoulder pads on.

EVERY team should be practicing in just helmets. No longer can you practice in just "uppers" in July.

I'd imagine there is plenty to work on, technique wise, other than hand placement and pad level before you get to full contact. If anything I think the new rule will force coaches to do so rather than just "hitting" for the sake of contact.

Why would the start date of school effect the start of full contact practice? Doesn't everyone's schedule start the same week, Aug 29th this year? If the first games are all on the 29th, then full practices should all start on the same day, the first day of school has nothing to do with it IMO. I know someone is going to say that schools that start early only have a few days for two a days or in some cases three a days. IMO since all schools have lights, more practices should be pushed to times later in the day anyway. Nothing wrong with practices under the lights. Oh well JMO.