HL front page article

http://www.kentucky.com/211/story/434318.html

A good article.

Jimmy Boling filed a lawsuit against the KHSAA. Of more than 20 lawsuits filed against the KHSAA in the past five years, 18 of them have concerned the transfer rule.

Legislators Roeding and Damron asked the state Board of Education to cut language that says educational reasons are not an exception to the transfer rule, and, last week, they did.

Damron said he found the rule ludicrous, given that academics are the reason children are in school.

In early July, the regulation review subcommittee will meet to review the bylaws.

DeVries, mindful of the subcommittee's demands, says that some KHSAA bylaws "may have outlived their usefulness."

Link to letter from KRC to KBE and KHSAA:

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2008/06/13/16/khsaa_letter.source.prod_affiliate.79.pdf

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State school board member Doug Hubbard said parents statewide are concerned that the association has too much power. "I think their bylaws allow them not to be accountable," he said.

It was actually board member Hubbard who made the first motion at the BOE to change the bylaw, not Roeding and the other legislators.

Hubbard was also the one who salvaged what little he could carve out of the ridiculous 2 year rule, and also the one who pulled the plug on the Commissioner when her resume wasn't up to snuff.

At least we have one BOE member fighting for common sense.

Boling told several people that he wanted to get both of his boys more exposure playing 4A instead of 1A. There may have been money issues but those boys had been at LCA for a long time. He deserved to sit out a year. Can't anyone say they are transferring for academic reasons or financial hardship?

The KHSAA actually has some pretty solid rules now, and it sounds like the legislators and board members are upset that they have trouble finding loopholes for their constituents.

The KHSAA actually has some pretty solid rules now, and it sounds like the legislators and board members are upset that they have trouble finding loopholes for their constituents.

How do you find them to be accountable, in their own rules?

I guess they are accountable to the Kentucky Department of Education. I'd much rather have the KHSAA making the sports decisions though.

The people doing the complaining usually are upset about their own team/athlete than the greater good.

Boling told several people that he wanted to get both of his boys more exposure playing 4A instead of 1A. There may have been money issues but those boys had been at LCA for a long time. He deserved to sit out a year. Can't anyone say they are transferring for academic reasons or financial hardship?

So if a kid can no longer pay to go to a private school for whatever reason and have to go to public school, they should not be allowed to play sports? Give me a break!

I am not taking a shot at private schools in any way, but if you can't afford it than a kid should be able to go else where and play whatever sport he or she wants.

I guess they are accountable to the Kentucky Department of Education. I'd much rather have the KHSAA making the sports decisions though.

The people doing the complaining usually are upset about their own team/athlete than the greater good.

Hardly. The KHSAA has fixed it so the Commissioner overrules their own Hearing Officer more than half the time, makes unilateral decisions, then it is THEY who complain when the decision is appealed to court, but even then they still have fixed it so the school is penalized if they play the child even if there is a validly-issued court injunction. It is despotism of the highest order. The only "greater good" is the power grab of the Commissioner and her Department.

I've seen too many judges get involved to make the local folks happy, just like the legislators. Everyone wants to be a special case.

I see. Wielding the helm of morality, the shield of righteousness, and the sword of servitude, the KHSAA defends justice and a higher understanding for the greater good of all, without passion or prejudice.:rolleyes:

I see. Wielding the helm of morality, the shield of righteousness, and the sword of servitude, the KHSAA defends justice and a higher understanding for the greater good of all, without passion or prejudice.:rolleyes:

What ruling did you disagree with?

What ruling did you disagree with?

They are legion, including several I've litigated. Start with the recent, unilateral, and totally baseless prejudice against a certain particular foreign exchange agency and we can work from there.

There were some issues with foreign exchange students in eastern Kentucky a few years back. Someone is always trying to gain an edge. That problem was finally solved.

How was it solved?