2008 Campbellsville

They have to establish themselves as a consistent running team. They lose Shumari Bridgewater (a top 20 in KY) at RB. However, that is about it from graduation. Most of last years district winning team were juniors and sophmores. I look for the QB (Schoebel?) to have a greater impact this season. Having been around him, he needs to become a more vocal leader, which will come with maturity. Defensively, they need to be able to defend the pass.

Campbellsville will have 9 players on both sides of the ball returning to their starting roles for 2008. The district championship last year was the first in 10 years and was good experience for the young Eagles. A few observations:

* C-Ville will have 14 seniors this year. They must lead this team through a VERY difficult schedule that includes LCA, Danville, Glasgow, Green County, and a district that will be one of the better in Class A.

* Up front ( O-Line and D-Line ) the Eagles must get tougher. They are big and strong but have a tendency to be tooooo nice.

* The passing game must mature again this year. With the running game in solid shape, the Eagles must be able to take advantage of crowding defenses.

Expectations are high in the Nation and the players have worked hard this off-season. But, Coach Wiseman continues to tell them the same thing:

"GOOD IS THE ENEMY OF GREAT"

Eaglenation, well said. They've got a couple of guys up front that could be animals if they get rid of the "niceness" factor.

One in particular, I would think would be getting some looks by some smaller colleges, especially if he continues to grow and develope.

Nation, who is looking to be the feature back? Schowbel needs to have a good back to help him open up the passing game...he's got a great frame though for a QB and I expect him to readily take the reigns. His dive into the endzone in overtime on that option play against Williamsburg, showed me a lot about his ability, potential, and toughness. He needs to continue to build on that and make it 'his' team.

Eaglenation, well said. They've got a couple of guys up front that could be animals if they get rid of the "niceness" factor.

One in particular, I would think would be getting some looks by some smaller colleges, especially if he continues to grow and develope.

Nation, who is looking to be the feature back? Schowbel needs to have a good back to help him open up the passing game...he's got a great frame though for a QB and I expect him to readily take the reigns. His dive into the endzone in overtime on that option play against Williamsburg, showed me a lot about his ability, potential, and toughness. He needs to continue to build on that and make it 'his' team.

Who replaces Bridgewater, all the others pieces seem to be in place...Campbellsville will be very good again...Nation that schedule looks very tough....

The RB this year should be Thomas Downs. He is 6'2 220 and can run. Needs to mature some but has the tools to carry on a strong running game. McCubbin (#24) will get some carries as he is the best athlete on the team. Zach Altman (#8) will also touch the ball from the backfield spot.

Downs is the one I was thinking of. He just needs to add a little toughness. He already has all the physcial tools. I really like the Altman kid. Reminds me of some C-ville guys from back in my day. Tough, hard-nosed, utility guy!! This could be a team that breaks a few of my generation's records!

Downs is the one I was thinking of. He just needs to add a little toughness. He already has all the physcial tools. I really like the Altman kid. Reminds me of some C-ville guys from back in my day. Tough, hard-nosed, utility guy!! This could be a team that breaks a few of my generation's records!

Coach Hard-Not sure which gen. you are from, but I'm prety certain this years squad won't be breaking many records.:cool:

They might put together a nice team, but I see no stars like they have had on many teams in the past, even some of the bad ones had some realyl talented players. However, they might develop some of the hard-nosed types you speak of, but they need double those to get anywhere near some of the former Cville teams of the nineties, and a few in the eighties, even the 2000's IMO.

Best of luck to Cville this season, tough looking schedule, very nice opening matchup it seems!

I'm from the 90s teams. Who knows, maybe they can break our defensive records. They've got a lot of talent. Honestly, they are a lot bigger than we were, and probably have more speed. We were just scrappy and had good leaders. Maybe if they can establish a team toughness early, who knows what can happen.

McCubbin, Altman, Downs, and Shwobel all are solid players. However, seeing all teams

at Campbellsville over the past 40 years I would say this team has some potential, but as

for football talent it is not close. You have to remember Gribbins, Spalding, Aron Anderson, Little Bit could compete with the likes of NFL players like the Yeast that plays Tight End for the Chiefs, Craig Yeast that played for several teams, and Dennis Johnson. When you compete with these type of players your just not average or good. So just say that this years squad is a solid good football team and they are do not compare apples to oranges.

WOW:ylsuper: CUT BLOCK GOES OLD SCHOOL!!! Yep, those were some good ones too! I'll never forget that playoff game in 97 against Harrodsburg. C-ville came up short, but man what a game! Those little dogs from C-ville came right after Yeast and Johnson and didn't back down. Watching the small battles on the field, it looked like those two were less than expected. Either that or the C-ville boys played beyond themselves.

Oh, and you forgot the R n' R express of Richardson and Raganas!!! And I know I left off some serious players from that year. Some others I would add to laying the foundation for the success of the 90s would be Big Jon Thompson, Chad Deener (still the meanest QB ever at C-ville), and Timmy Mays.

Best from the 90's- Joel Thompson, Petie Spaulding, Tim Mays were on a different level. Orlando Taylor, Gribbins, Mccarty, Deener and a few others were close. I know I am leaving out tons of linemen that were as good as any in the state.

They had 2-3 WR's a year in the 90's that were miles better than what they've had in the last 3-4 years. I would think only the Hoskins kid had as much talent as some of the 90's in that same last 3-4 years. I'm not even sold on Bridgewater after a couple of games I saw.

Think the coach had anything to do with turning out so many more players in the 90's than now? How could you not?