The Perfect Football Defense

Ram

Well we started discussing the prefect offense, and it began to form into a discussion on how to spot the spread offense.

So, what is the perfect football defense?

Again, with all the football knowledge that we possess, this should be an easy question to answer. Shouldn't it? We have various forms of the 50 defense, the 60 defense, the old 7 Diamond, 34, 43, 353, and any other form of defense that you may know about.

Like the offensive thread, I do not think there is a perfect defense, except for the one that works best for your personal and is able to stop your opponents offense. Although, your defense does have to be adjustable, to play against any offense that you may come up against. You have to have adjustments for: between the tackle runs, outside offenses, and pass oriented offenses.

Well we started discussing the prefect offense, and it began to form into a discussion on how to spot the spread offense.

Again, with all the football knowledge that we possess, this should be an easy question to answer. Shouldn't it? We have various forms of the 50 defense, the 60 defense, the old 7 Diamond, 34, 43, 353, and any other form of defense that you may know about.

Like the offensive thread, I do not think there is a perfect defense, except for the one that works best for your personal and is able to stop your opponents offense. Although, your defense does have to be adjustable, to play against any offense that you may come up against. You have to have adjustments for: between the tackle runs, outside offenses, and pass oriented offenses.

The one that holds your opponent to at least 1 less point than you score.

I got to see a good defensive team play a few times this year, Lex Cath. They run a 3-5-3 pressure D. They seem to put pressure on almost every team they played this year. X and Highlands were the only 2 that beat them but even in those 2 games, their D played well. They are not big physically but could still line up and stuff the run. They stoned Scott Co's running game. They can run and hit and the spread(Loan Oak) was not a challenge either. I think they have done a great job disigning and running the 353 to fit their personnel.

I got to see a good defensive team play a few times this year, Lex Cath. They run a 3-5-3 pressure D. They seem to put pressure on almost every team they played this year. X and Highlands were the only 2 that beat them but even in those 2 games, their D played well. They are not big physically but could still line up and stuff the run. They stoned Scott Co's running game. They can run and hit and the spread(Loan Oak) was not a challenge either. I think they have done a great job disigning and running the 353 to fit their personnel.

Lex Cath's scheme had little to do with how good they were this year on defense. The athletes and speed they had this year is what made them. They could had played any defense and been just as successful. When you have the ability to play straight man coverage on virtually any team you play and never worry that the other teams kid is better than yours then your really good. That is what made their run defense so good, they didn't have to drop extra people in coverage so they never got out numbered or out of position.

Lex Cath's scheme had little to do with how good they were this year on defense. The athletes and speed they had this year is what made them. They could had played any defense and been just as successful. When you have the ability to play straight man coverage on virtually any team you play and never worry that the other teams kid is better than yours then your really good. That is what made their run defense so good, they didn't have to drop extra people in coverage so they never got out numbered or out of position.

So you think that their Defensive coaching staff never once worried about match ups? I can't imagine, their best player never even covered people, he was the blitzer. I am sure that they, just like all defensive staffs, spent many hours looking at film to make sure they could run their scheme. It's not like they are that good that they can just line up and call a play and watch it work

So you think that their Defensive coaching staff never once worried about match ups? I can't imagine, their best player never even covered people, he was the blitzer. I am sure that they, just like all defensive staffs, spent many hours looking at film to make sure they could run their scheme. It's not like they are that good that they can just line up and call a play and watch it work

I never said their coaches didn't spend hours preparing. I said with the athletes they had they could had played any defense and been just as successful. There was very few games this year that Catholic had to worry about match up problems.

I am a big believr in the multiple 50. It is really a 3-4 when run correctly. You need versitile up-men on the ends of the line of scrimmage. Those guys are key, along with a good nose and a good Mike. It is versitile enough that, with proper personnel and coaching, you can match up against the run and shoot one week and the triple option the next. I love it!

I only saw LexCath when Highlands played them this year. Either their speed at the corners wasn't as great as you stated or they were poorly coached as they played way off our receivers (and we did not have that good of speed at the receiver position). We were able to complete pretty many quick outs to Draper as a result. Having said that, I do agree with folks that pointed out LexCath had a pretty dang good D this year.

Back in the early 1980s Beechwood ran a Diamond 7, a defense you would think you could throw on, but problem with them shooting gaps the QB didn't have time.

My favorite defense to run if you have big linemen and quick LB's ia a 4-4 hard to run or pass on.