Belfry vs. Louisville Central 3A State Championship

iPapi

Who wins the title?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

No I am not a Belfry fan. However I know that JC dominated Louisville Central on both sides of the ball and one week later Belfry dominated the Golden Eagles almost as badly. in both cases, Johnson Central was playing at full strength. (The Central-Johnson Central was 41-7 before the Golden Eagles began running in the second string D.)

If Central could not run on Johnson Central, they will have a very tough time moving the ball on Belfry.

Certainly there are other teams with a claim to being the third best team in the state, but I only stated that they may be the third best team in the state. Maybe Highlands just had a bad game against Central, but I don't expect Belfry to have a bad game in the state finals.

Duely Noted!!!!!! I just think if you are considering all 6 classes, that's a bold statement to say you are the third best in the state. More power to ya, I just think that BG and those teams from Louisville, whew, oh yeah, and Highlands is not shabby either. Once the game is over and Belfry wins, I will eat my crow and be a believer.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duely Noted!!!!!! I just think if you are considering all 6 classes, that's a bold statement to say you are the third best in the state. More power to ya, I just think that BG and those teams from Louisville, whew, oh yeah, and Highlands is not shabby either. Once the game is over and Belfry wins, I will eat my crow and be a believer.

I am sure you have not seen Belfry in person, and I have not seen Highlands...luckily they will be playing the same day. All of us will be able to prepare an informed opinion after Friday. Highlands deserves the respect they get, and in no way am I saying they are overrated or a bad team, but I do think you will be pelasantly surprised with Belfry when you see them.:thumb:

What part of may be do you not understand?:lol:

I doubt that you would have objected if I had stated that Highlands may be the third best team in the state. If Belfry wins the 3A title in convincing fashion, I would say that the Pirates would have every bit as strong a claim to the #3 all-classes rank as anybody else. You are assuming that Central at its best is better than Belfry at its best and yet I see no evidence of that being the case. Unless Belfry suffers a rash of unforced turnovers or key injuries, I just can't see them losing to Central.

We will evaluate that question after Friday.

Our local cable access channel replayed the 2003 and 2004 State Title Games on Thursday night and it gave me a chance to compare the teams. Those two teams were special, and will alwaysremain special as the teams that finally "did it". I seriously doubt Belfry will ever have a better 1-2 combo as Doug and Dave, and Childress was the most underrated player to ever suit up for Belfry. But, the resounding effect I had from those two teams is they were relegated to TWO gamebreakers. They had a bunch of players that could make a huge play, but only Doug and Dave were the types of players who single handidly could take over a game, and more times than not they did. This year's edition of Belfry has gamebreakers littered all across the roster. Of course you have your three primary offensive weapons in May, Lee, and Elkins... but defensively you can add Dotson, and Hickman in the mix as well, plus the additon of Thomas Varney who has amde plays on every side of the ball and special teams.

Alot of people are torn when you ask who was better between the 2003 and 2004 teams, after Thursday ngitht heer was no question to me that the 2004 squad was the cream of the crop, if this team can bring home a title then we can decide their place in Belfry history (well possibly until the end of next year cause Belfry has ALOT returning).

Well, I hope I can make it down to Papa Johns to watch Belfry play for another championship. If you are who I think you are, I have enjoyed discussing Belfry football and Lawrence County football since the late 90's.

CANNOT compare game scores of common opponents!

Here's why...Johnson Central defeated Louisville Central 48-29 @ Johnson Co.

During week 10 Highlands trailed Louisville Central 13-0 in the 4th quarter before rallying for a 21-13 win.

Lincoln Co. defeated Johnson Central 43-22 in the regional finals.

Last night Highlands led Lincoln Co. 49-0 at halftime before going on to win 49-21. Starters rested the whole 2nd half.

Compare common opponents if you wish, but what conclusion can you make of that?

During week 10 Highlands trailed Louisville Central 13-0 in the 4th quarter before rallying for a 21-13 win.

Last night Highlands led Lincoln Co. 49-0 at halftime before going on to win 49-21. Starters rested the whole 2nd half.

All polls and all rankings use common opponents to compare teams. Two of Johnson Central's top players were injured prior to the Lincoln Country game. All of JC's players played in the games against both Central and Belfry. Most people who watched both games expect Belfry to win the title game easily.

It is impossible to rank teams if you are unwilling to consider the outcomes of games involving common opponents. Obviously, match-ups matter, but as has already been pointed out, JC and Belfry play similar styles and it seems to be style that causes Central problems.

Its not as much comparing scores as it is to comparing styles. Anyone who was at the JC/Central game knows that JC had absolutely no problem running the ball against Central. And Belfry posses a much better and more physical running attack than JC did. When Central was on offense they relied on making people miss and more often ran sideways than straight ahead. Belfry is fast and tackles well on defense. Plain and simple, this Lou. Central team laid down to JC after a couple of drives. I expect much of the same from this Belfry team.

I would like to know what is in the air down there? Are you listening to yourself. I am so shocked I can't even think straight. This is not a thread on HHS, so let's keep it to the game. Please don't put any more fodder up here to cause me to fall out of my chair again. It just took me about 15 minutes to get up. I truly believe that I split my side when I read that. I hope for your sake, that no other HHS fans read this. I am not responsible for what they may say to you. Good luck to both teams, I would bet that less than 100 people show up to support Central including the band. It would be sad for them to win state and not even all the kids parents' came out to see their sons win a title.

I think you need to come off your High Horse. How can you discredit a team you know absolutely nothing about. Whats the difference in the Belfry supporters using the JC/Central matchup to determine the quality of their team? I believe you are doing much of the same using the Highlands/Central matchup to determine the quality of the Lou. Central team. And by the way, we people down here "in the middle of nowhere" like to call it Oxygen.:rolleyes:

I would like to know what is in the air down there? Are you listening to yourself. I am so shocked I can't even think straight. This is not a thread on HHS, so let's keep it to the game. Please don't put any more fodder up here to cause me to fall out of my chair again. It just took me about 15 minutes to get up. I truly believe that I split my side when I read that. I hope for your sake, that no other HHS fans read this. I am not responsible for what they may say to you. Good luck to both teams, I would bet that less than 100 people show up to support Central including the band. It would be sad for them to win state and not even all the kids parents' came out to see their sons win a title.

I've seen Highlands play a few times this year....and yes they're very good....and yes.....they are no better than Belfry.

I am sure you have not seen Belfry in person, and I have not seen Highlands...luckily they will be playing the same day. All of us will be able to prepare an informed opinion after Friday. Highlands deserves the respect they get, and in no way am I saying they are overrated or a bad team, but I do think you will be pelasantly surprised with Belfry when you see them.:thumb:

I've seen Highlands, Belfry, Lex Cath...all up close and personal. All are very talented. All are on the same footing. Belfry would more than hold than own...and then some.

I think you need to come off your High Horse. How can you discredit a team you know absolutely nothing about. Whats the difference in the Belfry supporters using the JC/Central matchup to determine the quality of their team? I believe you are doing much of the same using the Highlands/Central matchup to determine the quality of the Lou. Central team. And by the way, we people down here "in the middle of nowhere" like to call it Oxygen.:rolleyes:

Sweet.:thumb:

Belfry, will eventually wear Central down. The Belfry defense in my opinion is under rated. They are punishing, add that to an offensive line that seems to get stronger all game long with backs like May and Lee who are big, athletic, and fast. I just see Belfry wearing down Central. I do think Belfry is one of the 4 or 5 teams in the state, considering even Bowling Green, Highlands, Louisville and Lexington teams.

While they may not be down on the field playing I can tell you that those Pirate fans do affect the game as their team feeds off their support!

Good luck Pirates!

As a Highlands fan I was very impressed with Louis. Cent. team. Big athletic players that never gave up.

Now I have read alot of comparing Louis. C who got beat by John.C who got beat by Lincoln who got beat by Highlands. Let me just say with out, and I don't mean this to down play any other teams, but Highlands has a rep. as a state power. All season when Highlands plays at team, that team is bringing thier A game because nothing would be better then knocking off Highlands. As a Highlands fan I feel the same way if we played Trinity or when we play St. X or any of the Ohio teams. You play those games like a state game. Maybe Louis. Cent. didn't look at JC like they looked at the Highlands game. Maybe Louis. Cent. will just be totally pshyced to be in the State game and totally dominate. No offense to JC or anyother teams during mid season, but as every player knows, there are games you are pshyced about and then there are games you just can't bring it. As most coaches hope for is that teams peak at the right time. Sometimes they lose to lesser teams in the mid season slump.

As a Highlands fan I was very impressed with Louis. Cent. team. Big athletic players that never gave up.

Now I have read alot of comparing Louis. C who got beat by John.C who got beat by Lincoln who got beat by Highlands. Let me just say with out, and I don't mean this to down play any other teams, but Highlands has a rep. as a state power. All season when Highlands plays at team, that team is bringing thier A game because nothing would be better then knocking off Highlands. As a Highlands fan I feel the same way if we played Trinity or when we play St. X or any of the Ohio teams. You play those games like a state game. Maybe Louis. Cent. didn't look at JC like they looked at the Highlands game. Maybe Louis. Cent. will just be totally pshyced to be in the State game and totally dominate. No offense to JC or anyother teams during mid season, but as every player knows, there are games you are pshyced about and then there are games you just can't bring it. As most coaches hope for is that teams peak at the right time. Sometimes they lose to lesser teams in the mid season slump.

Yeah but at the same point you dont physically get your tail whipped for four quarters in any game even when your better, you know what I mean by that?

And JC whipped LC, but it will be a fun game and we shall see what happens.

No disrespect to Central but after seeing how they reacted to a moderately physical Johnson Central they will throw in the towel after they see a very physical Belfry. No contest in this one.

Belfry 54

Central 7

Belfry may truly be a better team but LC has some talent. Let them hang around or put a couple of balls on the carpet and some strange things can happen. I am not sure that 50 points could be scored on LC if the offense was riding on a bull dozer. Belfry better come to play or it could be a long ride home versus a short walk for LC.