St. X star RB Finch likely sidelined at least 3 weeks

Frank329

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken Rhayven Smith for the Crimsons is currently out as well. I know he didn't play against Bullit East. This may not be as big a setback for the Tigers as it seems. Of course if Manual is 100% against St. X and Ben Zoeller has any lingering issues from the injury and Deuce is out then it might make a difference.

Before anyone jumps on me, note the stipulations I placed in here.

Coach Glaser seems to be pretty confident that X can handle their second round opponent without Finch. After all he did mention that he hopes to have Finch back by round three. I'm sure that he knows that the performance of his D will offset any shortcomings on O.But, it sure is nice to have the quality back-ups that they have.

Duece is playing at a different level than the rest of the running backs, but the backups are very capable of stepping up. If Zoeller comes back healthy, that really solidifies the backfield, even without Duece. Don't forget too, in order to beat a team, you have to score more points than them and people are having a hard time scoring on the Tigers.

It has appeared to me that X is an extremely talented team all the way around. They are by no means a "one-man show." If he is in fact out for several weeks......IMO.....that loss will be negligible - - - and that is no offense to the player but rather a compliment to a well-rounded and multi-faceted TEAM.

Its football, injuries happen. Its unfortunate for the Tigers yet I think they are prepared to withstand any storm at this point. Is it beneficial that Finch is out? Probably not... although, a refreshed set of legs and a full recovery from the knee injury just may be a blessing in disguise.... If St.X is fortunate to get through the first two rounds ( out of respect for the opponents ), Finch and Zoeller will be needed for round three especially if it is a travel game. X needs to pull together in the face of this adversity and not be denied...... Everyone must step up a couple of notches.....

Go Tigers...

Anytime you lose a running back as talented as Deuce for any amount of time, it is going cause some degree of consternation, but actually we've been living with a lot of injuries all season. DL Matt Smith, DL Trevor Foy, LB Nick Heuser, LB Ben Devine, S Cody Allgeier, OG Josh Gahm, and QB Ben Zoeller are all starters and major contributors who have missed or are still missing multiple games this season because of injury. Nevertheless, in each instance, others have responded to the challenge, stepped into their place and kept the Tiger machine rolling smoothly along.

When Deuce went out last week against Central, the score was 7-7 in the 2nd quarter. Backup QB Matt Brutscher took part of the load off the running game with a stepped-up passing attack, mainly to TE Ben Brown, which netted 2 TD's. Seniors Aaron Knotts and Joe Montano supplied the power, and sophomore RB Jermiah Neal supplied the speed to the running game. The net result was a 35-7 win over Central.

St. X. is basically a team without stars, but they do have good quality depth.

Now that the JV season is over and with Deuce out, I fully expect to see a lot more of Neal (5-10, 177) running the ball. In an abbreviated backup role against PRP two weeks ago, he broke out with 105 yards. He has been ripping around and through JV opposition defenses all year, and is a big-time talent awaiting his time in the limelight. :cool:

Anytime you lose a running back as talented as Deuce for any amount of time, it is going cause some degree of consternation, but actually we've been living with a lot of injuries all season. DL Matt Smith, DL Trevor Foy, LB Nick Heuser, LB Ben Devine, S Cody Allgeier, OG Josh Gahm, and QB Ben Zoeller are all starters and major contributors who have missed or are still missing multiple games this season because of injury. Nevertheless, in each instance, others have responded to the challenge, stepped into their place and kept the Tiger machine rolling smoothly along.

When Deuce went out last week against Central, the score was 7-7 in the 2nd quarter. Backup QB Matt Brutscher took part of the load off the running game with a stepped-up passing attack, mainly to TE Ben Brown, which netted 2 TD's. Seniors Aaron Knotts and Joe Montano supplied the power, and sophomore RB Jermiah Neal supplied the speed to the running game. The net result was a 35-7 win over Central.

St. X. is basically a team without stars, but they do have good quality depth.

Now that the JV season is over and with Deuce out, I fully expect to see a lot more of Neal (5-10, 177) running the ball. In an abbreviated backup role against PRP two weeks ago, he broke out with 105 yards. He has been ripping around and through JV opposition defenses all year, and is a big-time talent awaiting his time in the limelight. :cool:

Oxnard, I agree 110%.

I posted in the post game thread that I thought X actually became less predictable with a run by committee back field after Deuce was forced to the sideline. Central had no idea who the ball was going to, they looked confused more often than not. This years X squad has a blistering amount of talent at every position in all three classes from the Seniors through the Juniors and yes even the Sophomores. Those opponents who think this makes X vulnerable are going to be in for a rude awakening come game time. Whenever Deuce does come back, and he will be back, he will be just as deadly as he has been all season.

:thumb:GO TIGERS! :thumb:

Ever the contrarion, I beg to differ with my X brethren. Deuce is one of the premier running backs in the state. Losing a cog in the offense of that magnitude is bad news, especially at playoff when it is one and done. Having seen PRP twice and Manual, I have enormous respect for those coaches and teams this year. X eked by the Rams 21-14 and was trailing PRP. PepRock01 said it correctly:" Of course if Manual is 100% against St. X and Ben Zoeller has any lingering issues from the injury and Deuce is out then it might make a difference." I would substitute PRP and make the same argument. Further, assuming X clears round two, but with with possible lingering issues for Deuce, fourth ranked Male (Lit) may loom, hitting stride and averaging almost 55 points/game since the X loss.

Not good news for the Tigers at all. Duece is the best RB in the state and he can not be replaced. The other RB's have to step up and the Tigers may be OK for rounds 1 & 2 but to make a run at the title both Ben & Duece have to be 100% IMO. You need both offense and defense clicking on all cylinders to go through Manual, Male, a W.Ky. team and Trinity. I hope he has a speedy recovery and is 100% in 3 weeks.