Hopkinsville 17 Mercer Co. 14

hop82

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopkinsville moved the ball well on Mercer's defense. Had to settle for a 41 yard FG on the opening drive after getting inside the 20. On their 2nd drive they took it back inside the 20 but a tipped pass was intercepted. Their 3rd and final drive of the 1st half ended with a TD pass from Marshall Stewart to Vic Moulden. Mercer was able to put together a scoring drive to end the 1st half when their QB found a WR in the corner of the endzone.

Hopkinsville extended the lead to 17-6 in the 2nd half on a TD run by Marshall Stewart. On that drive DeShawn Johnson came in to play RB and was able to get outside for some gaines and had success up the middle useing his lower body strength. In the 4th leading 17-6 the Tigers got a little complascent. They had the ball with a chance to finish them off but instead went through the motions and had a couple of mental mistakes but some of the younger kids that was thrown in. Mercer got the ball back and put together a successful drive putting it in the endzone and getting the 2-point conversion. Hopkinsville then returned the KO out to the 43 but went 3 and out as they was unable to move the ball. Mercer's final drive led to a missed FG attempt that could have tied the game.

Little closer then should have been IMO. Hopkinsville had success on the ground and their best passing game of the year. Marshall Stewart made all the right reads and showed patients with the ball in his hands. Little disappointed in how they finished but at the 5:00 minute mark or so the Coaches eased off the throttle and it nearly cossed them in the end.

Hopkinsville needs to get FB Joe Harris back healthy for the offense to have another weapon. He played mostly defense tonight but was used situationly on offense. The Offensive Line was solid tonight giving Stewart time and giving McGregor running lanes.

Jacob Johnson 14 tackles

Dee Allen and Marshall Stewart combined for 12 tackles 10 for loss. They couldn't block Deen Allen.

Antwon Crayton (1 interception)

Jason Denton 5 tackles

You could say, "I have a feeling we are not in Kansas anymore."

:laugh: Uh, yeh... I could say that. Man, you talk about a rollercoaster ride. Top of the hill 8 months ago, now we're just trying to get the train back on track.

I'd say 4 losses by a total of 12 points is hardly reason for "derailment." The titans appear to be playing well...just not good enough...but each loss they have had a chance to win/tie.

True, but it is in stark contrast to the margin of victory from last years team. Going from winning by blowouts one year to to losing squeakers the next is hard on morale.

True, but it is in stark contrast to the margin of victory from last years team. Going from winning by blowouts one year to to losing squeakers the next is hard on morale.

Maybe, but logic told anyone that the graduations Mercer had last year meant that this team is about where it ought to be. The Titans are not getting demolished by anyone and are a few plays from winning some of these games. Personally they are about where most logical people put them, competitive and rebuilding.

Will Mercer make the playoffs this year ?

Yes, they will. I'm not making post season predictions, but I will say this, I don't know if I would be wanting to play them again come the playoff time. They are right their, so close....the four teams they have lost too (Lincoln 12-7, Pulaski Co. 23-22, Watertown, TN 10-7 and Hoptown 17-14) are a combined 20-6. Lincoln is 5-1, Pulaski Co. is 7-0, Watertown is 5-1 and Hoptown is 3-3 (with losses to Christian County and Highlands). No disrespect meant whatsoever to the other teams, but Hoptown was, without question, the most talented (all-around) team that Mercer has faced this year, and Mercer just simply ran out of time, IMO. Hoptown has a great team. Best of luck to you all!

Mercer County is a very GOOD team. I don't think that you will find an opposing coach, win/loss, that would tell you any different. These kids have fought their tails off this year. This is the 2nd game this year where Mercer has had a chance to win/tie the ballgame within the final :05 seconds in the game, inside the opposing teams 15 yard line (Lincoln Co. and Hoptown)....it just hasn't happened.

Eventually, they WILL get it. These coaches believe in one another, and most importantly they BELIEVE in these boys.....these kids aren't going to give up. They've showed that COUNTLESS times this year. These tough times will get better, and Im not talking about getting better next year....they will this year. Just watch.:thumb:

Some of you that don't know anything are going to look at my statements above and think that I am using them as excuses, that's fine, you're not worth my arguments...but I am just pointing out positives, in a bittersweet kind of way, positives that are going to pay HUGE divedends in the weeks to come, regular season and playoffs.:thumb:

:laugh: Uh, yeh... I could say that. Man, you talk about a rollercoaster ride. Top of the hill 8 months ago, now we're just trying to get the train back on track.

All sports, in particular, football, are like a rollercoaster ride sometimes. You have to be apart of team, either coaching and/or playing to really know that. It's that way everywhere, with everyteam at some point, even the VERY successful ones. All you have to do is look at some of the most respected programs across Kentucky to see that, for example, Danville went 7-6 in 1999, Highlands went 7-5 last year, Trinity started off 0-4 in 2002 (Brian Brohm's Sr. Year that later ended in a state championship), Boyle County now (despite their W/L record they are a very good team), Newport Catholic last year during the regular season that went 5-5, then won the state championship, the list could go on and on. That's just to name a few.

If you have actually played sports, in particular football, you would realize that it's sometimes like a rollercoaster ride. It's that way everywhere, with everyteam at some point, even the VERY successful ones. All you have to do is look at some of the most respected programs across Kentucky to see that, for example, Danville went 7-6 in 1999, Highlands went 7-5 last year, Trinity started off 0-4 in 2002 (Brian Brohm's Sr. Year that later ended in a state championship), Boyle County now (despite their W/L record they are a very good team), Newport Catholic last year during the regular season that went 5-5, then won the state championship, the list could go on and on. That's just to name a few.

One great year doesn't put Mercer in the same class as any of the above mentioned teams. Though a play here and a play there, Mercer could maybe be undefeated. Those teams have done it for decades.