Owensboro vs. Owensboro Catholic

Fletch

Pick the winner  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the winner

• Owensboro
    • Owensboro Catholic

The Owensboro Catholic Aces return to Rash Stadium for the first time since 2005, and their move to Steele Stadium. Both OCath and OHS are long time rivals and this is one of the best and most heated rivalries in Western Kentucky. Catholic is coming off a 40-6 setback to Reitz, while OHS is coming off a 22-3 victory over Memorial. Both games were in the inagural Independence Bank Border Bowl. Can Catholic return to Rash victorious, or will OHS defend thier home turf and get a game up in the city-county race?

OWENSBORO offense vs. CATHOLIC defense: Slight advantage Owensboro

Catholic returns the bulk of a defense from a year ago that improved drastically from the beggining of the 06 season till' the end. The Aces are lead by all-state performer Brian Winkelpeck, and large defensive line. OHS meanwhile returns most of thier 0-line, however injuries have depleted the Red Devils in that area. The key to this matchup will hinge on the Aces ability to negate OHS' big play ability. I have attended both Catholics' scrimmage games and the opener. From what I have seen thAces attack very well on defense, but sometimes too well. OCath seems to over commit to a play and if they miss a tackle, nothing is there. OHS will look to counter with senior playcaller Austin Moss, RB's Neil Johnston and Yorell Shemwell. OHS has speed a plenty at wide out with Josh Hayden, Yante' Williams, and Wayne Duncan. Thats a heck of a 4x100 relay right there! But as they've shown, OHS is wildly inconsistant on offense, but thier big play ability give them a slight advantage.

CATHOLIC offense vs. OWENSBORO defense: Advantage Owensboro

Trying to score on OHS was very much a chore on 06', and while Memorial moved to ball against OHS at times the Tigers found that getting into the end zone was rather difficult. Catholic will counter with John Powers at qb and a very good offensive line. The Aces 0-line gave Powers tons of time to find recievers before wearing down in the second half against Reitz. WR Bryan McGraw is a very capable big play reciever and is really a carbon copy of his brother(former Aces stand out Kevin McGraw). Evan Walker is a very good athlete, so wherever they line him up he will contribute. OCath will have to find a running game however, and with the hogmales up front(Kevin Bunton,Logan Bell and others) they should be able to run at times. OHS answers with two of the best linebackers in the state in Neil Johnston and Blake Roberts. Khiry Maddox, and Ben Goetz round out the linebacker corps. Jermaine Dumas, Paul Sowders, and Tre' Duhngegy fill in the d-line. OHS is very solid in the secondary with Wayne Duncan, Josh Hayden, Yorel Shemwell, and Josh Royal. OHS rotates several players in and out to keep guys fresh on D.

Special teams: Advantage Owensboro

This all goes back to speed. I don't look for Catholic to kick the ball to OHS. Special teams is 1\3 of the game, so don't look for the Aces to give that part away. Hayden, Shemwell, Williams and others can all take it to the house with any touch. Both kickers for OHS and Catholic are unknown so we'll see how that pans out.

Keys to the game

Catholic will need to control the tempo of the game wich means the Aces much find a way to run the ball against OHS. OHS will look to force turnovers on D and Catholic should look to do the same. If the Aces can hang around till the fourth quarter then anything is possible in this high anticipated city-county matchup.

Prediction: OWENSBORO 35, CATHOLIC 7

I look for OHS to come out sharp and never let the high octane Aces offense get going.

:fire:

The Owensboro Catholic Aces return to Rash Stadium for the first time since 2005, and their move to Steele Stadium. Both OCath and OHS are long time rivals and this is one of the best and most heated rivalries in Western Kentucky. Catholic is coming off a 40-6 setback to Reitz, while OHS is coming off a 22-3 victory over Memorial. Both games were in the inagural Independence Bank Border Bowl. Can Catholic return to Rash victorious, or will OHS defend thier home turf and get a game up in the city-county race?

OWENSBORO offense vs. CATHOLIC defense: Slight advantage Owensboro

Catholic returns the bulk of a defense from a year ago that improved drastically from the beggining of the 06 season till' the end. The Aces are lead by all-state performer Brian Winkelpeck, and large defensive line. OHS meanwhile returns most of thier 0-line, however injuries have depleted the Red Devils in that area. The key to this matchup will hinge on the Aces ability to negate OHS' big play ability. I have attended both Catholics' scrimmage games and the opener. From what I have seen thAces attack very well on defense, but sometimes too well. OCath seems to over commit to a play and if they miss a tackle, nothing is there. OHS will look to counter with senior playcaller Austin Moss, RB's Neil Johnston and Yorell Shemwell. OHS has speed a plenty at wide out with Josh Hayden, Yante' Williams, and Wayne Duncan. Thats a heck of a 4x100 relay right there! But as they've shown, OHS is wildly inconsistant on offense, but thier big play ability give them a slight advantage.

CATHOLIC offense vs. OWENSBORO defense: Advantage Owensboro

Trying to score on OHS was very much a chore on 06', and while Memorial moved to ball against OHS at times the Tigers found that getting into the end zone was rather difficult. Catholic will counter with John Powers at qb and a very good offensive line. The Aces 0-line gave Powers tons of time to find recievers before wearing down in the second half against Reitz. WR Bryan McGraw is a very capable big play reciever and is really a carbon copy of his brother(former Aces stand out Kevin McGraw). Evan Walker is a very good athlete, so wherever they line him up he will contribute. OCath will have to find a running game however, and with the hogmales up front(Kevin Bunton,Logan Bell and others) they should be able to run at times. OHS answers with two of the best linebackers in the state in Neil Johnston and Blake Roberts. Khiry Maddox, and Ben Goetz round out the linebacker corps. Jermaine Dumas, Paul Sowders, and Tre' Duhngegy fill in the d-line. OHS is very solid in the secondary with Wayne Duncan, Josh Hayden, Yorel Shemwell, and Josh Royal. OHS rotates several players in and out to keep guys fresh on D.

Special teams: Advantage Owensboro

This all goes back to speed. I don't look for Catholic to kick the ball to OHS. Special teams is 1\3 of the game, so don't look for the Aces to give that part away. Hayden, Shemwell, Williams and others can all take it to the house with any touch. Both kickers for OHS and Catholic are unknown so we'll see how that pans out.

Keys to the game

Catholic will need to control the tempo of the game wich means the Aces much find a way to run the ball against OHS. OHS will look to force turnovers on D and Catholic should look to do the same. If the Aces can hang around till the fourth quarter then anything is possible in this high anticipated city-county matchup.

Prediction: OWENSBORO 35, CATHOLIC 7

I look for OHS to come out sharp and never let the high octane Aces offense get going.

:fire:

Kicker from Owensboro may be unknown for now, but give him some time/chances and he will be known. His name is Trey Cain and from what I have heard and seen, could be one of the top kickers in the state by his Junior/Senior year if not before.

Is it fair to say the OCath is down a bit this season?

Catholic, for the most part, starts slow most years. I do believe they could be barely over .500 at regular seasons end. Having said that, alot depends on the running game. It those guys can mature and take some stress off the passing game, then they could find themselves with another regional championship.

Is it fair to say the OCath is down a bit this season?

DOWN? Hell they scrimmaged Bowling Green to 35-21 game and played Evansville Reitz and got beat 40-6. Hell if OHS played a good early schedule like Catholic does then I think you would say OHS is down a bit this year. Who did OHS scrimmage? Does anyone know? I just know that they played a Memorial team that was not good.

Take the personal jabs, to the pm's and not in the open forum....

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, or school. Also, keeping in mind the youth of our student athletes, excessive "bashing" is prohibited in the high school forums. Do not comment on the manner in which another member has posted, or any violations you find in their posts. Such public remarks will be considered a violation under this rule. If you spot what you believe to be a violation that needs to be addressed, please use the "Report Bad Post" button, or send a message to a moderator.