World Cup of Softball

I watched the last inning last night against Japan ---the call on the final out on the Japan team was one the worst calls I've ever witnessed. Would not have changed the outcome but that was a terrible interpatation on the lookback rule. just awful. LB

I totally agree. The umpiring was horrible, to say the least. The call to end the game was a complete joke. I thought the call in the first inning may have even been worse. Bustos grounded to third with runners at first and second for what would have been an easy double play. The third base umpire ruled that the ball was fouled off her shin. Replays showed that the ball was nowhere near her. They also called a Japanese player out for leaving the bag early. I thought it was questionable as well. Like you said, USA didn't need these calls and it's unfortunate that we're talking about them instead of the victory. When the umpires get more airtime than Jenny Finch.....that's a problem!!! :irked:

If I'm not mistaken, some of these same umpires that worked the World Cup of Softball also worked the NCAA DI College Softball World Series. If what y'all said about the umpiring last night is true then these people need to have their license stripped cause the umpiring in the WCWS was horrible as well.

With all of this said about the umpiring, let it be known that I think it's a HORRIBLE idea to not sponsor softball as an Olympic sport after the Beijing Games...if you're going to complain about the USA being so go and you want to cancel a sport, then I offer a simple solution...get better athletes to compete against the USA so they won't be able to dominate all the time...it sure worked in basketball didn't it?