Danville to stop playing Boyle County after the 2025 season - (Games stopped after the 2023 season)

I thought I’d have to go back longer than 7 years to find the last Danville win, but the reality is that neither program gains anything from the game. Maybe once (if?) Danville can regain their footing it can get back on the schedule. 

• Like 1

As someone who lived in Boyle many years ago (when Danville was the top program) I hate to see where the Admirals are now.  Hopefully the Ads will rebuild their program and return to their former status. However, I completely understand them not playing Boyle as the game is now meaningless. It was fun when both programs were at the top of the pile in "Title Town."

• Like 2

Danville has a special place in my heart. They have been Mayfield"s nemesis but they were alot like Beechwood that they did it the right way. I hate too see them going through tough times. Kentucky high school football is better when Danville is a solid program.  I hope they turn it around quickly.

• Like 8

Yet another blow to Danville athletics.  I know the games haven't been competitive in recent years because of the turmoil but I don't see how this is really a net positive for the community long-term or reviving the program.

• Like 2

A key player from Danville is enrolled at another school that I haven't seen mentioned yet.  They will have a hard time over the next few years without adding transfers. 

5 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

Yet another blow to Danville athletics.  I know the games haven't been competitive in recent years because of the turmoil but I don't see how this is really a net positive for the community long-term or reviving the program.

I get what you are saying, but I think it's also important for admin and the coaches to be grounded in reality (not saying you aren't). This game has zero chance of being competitive for the foreseeable future. Danville needs to build a .500 level program again before they should reconsider playing this game. 

• Like 1

I don't blame Danville. They no longer benefit from this game, and truthfully neither does Boyle County. Danville fans stopped showing up to games 5 years ago, and Boyle doesn't gain good game experience or RPI standings from the game. A lose lose for both. 

This game stopped being a rivalry when Clay Clevenger was removed from the picture. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, burreaux said:

I get what you are saying, but I think it's also important for admin and the coaches to be grounded in reality (not saying you aren't). This game has zero chance of being competitive for the foreseeable future. Danville needs to build a .500 level program again before they should reconsider playing this game. 

Yeah, I don't disagree but I will say that this also sends a soft signal of defeat that won't really do much to get people excited so that the schedule can be filled with another game.  I get that the Ads aren't in good shape right now - for reasons that have been documented here - but I still hate seeing this.  I also wonder if part of the motivation is Boyle taking the Ads talent via transfers and Danville not caring for that?

Maybe, like has been suggested, Danville can fill it with another team in the region.  But it still won't pack the same punch.  The Ads and Boyle will play in other sports but it just won't be the same.....

• Like 4

It may sting as a long time Danville fan but Highlands quit playing NewCath after the 1998 season. We had lost a tight game in 1993 at Newport Stadium but after that it wasn’t close. Highlands opened up their offense and went to another stratosphere under Mueller. It was a lose lose for both schools to keep that going. Sometimes good things must come to an end. 

NewCath rebounded 2 seasons later and made back to back 1A finals only to lose to…….The Danville Ads!!! One close game and another heart breaker. Think long term, get the right people in place and it can be turned around.

Edited by Breds82
Edit

20 minutes ago, Big Mck Bearcat said:

Boyle County is taking a lot of their best players and the games are not competitive. This is a logical decision for Danville. 

And sadly, perhaps, another step toward consolidating the two schools.

• theguru changed the title to Danville to stop playing Boyle County after the 2025 season - (Games stopped after the 2023 season)