Christian Academy of Louisville vs. Bell County Predictions/Updates (3A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

Centurions vs. Bobcats   

88 members have voted

1. 1. The Class 3A State Champion Will Be...

• Christian Academy of Louisville
    • Bell County

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2023 at 05:00 PM

8759y6.thumb.jpg.b0a35e55e0855c62c43909e42a21a13f.jpg

Contenders For Mr. Football Meet For The Ultimate Team Prize

Records: Both are 13-1

BGP 3A Rankings: CAL (#1) | Bell County (#9)

Week  Results: CAL beat Lexington Catholic | Bell County beat Hart County 

Series History: First ever meeting 

Kickoff: Saturday, December 2nd at 12:00pm

Teaser Preview: It's a little ironic that the two teams in 3A most reliant on a singular player will meet for a championship in the ultimate team sport. 

Cole Hodge has been the most productive quarterback in the state over the last two years, accounting for roughly 8,000 yards and well over 100 touchdowns. He's got a 39-3 career record as a starter. 

Daniel Thomas has packed a great career into the last fourteen games. He holds single season state records for rushing yards, touchdowns, and points scored. Thomas will be running at a CAL defense that has thoroughly shut down the #2 and #3 teams in the class over the last two weeks. 

There will be 22 players on the field at a given time, but the names Hodge and Thomas will permeate the air around Kroger Field on Saturday afternoon. 

Mountain football has a long, rich history of winning championships. Pikeville, Belfry, and Johnson Central have dominated the headlines east of I-75 over the last ten years. Bell County is hungry for the front page again. Dudley Hilton cemented his place as an all-time great long ago, but hasn't lifted the big trophy in fifteen years. This would be title #4 for the state's second winningest coach, joining 1991 and 2008 at Bell, plus his Cinderella run at Bourbon County in 1997.

CAL is looking for the fourth crown in its program's history, after wins in 2016, 2018, and last year. There will probably never be a ’Big 4’ in Louisville,  but the Centurions are establishing themselves as the most successful program in town over the last several years.

You can never count out a Hilton coached team, but given what we've witnessed in the quarter and semi-final rounds, this has a David vs. Goliath feel to it. You can believe Bell County will bring the stones with them straight from Log Mountain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bell County has to string together a few drives early that result in 4 or 5 first downs each, even if they don’t score.  If they win the toss, take the ball & set the pace of the game early.  If they don’t, this could be 21-0 heading into the 2nd quarter & a hole way too big to dig out of.  If Daniel Thomas can somehow pull off a performance close to what Isaac Dixon did a few years back against PT, then I’d say he’s a lock for Mr. Football, if he isn’t already.

I expect this one to be ugly.

With that said, I am definitely hoping and pulling for a scenario where Daniel Thomas gains 318 yards and scores 33 points somehow.

A 4000 yard/400 point season would be the stuff of legends.

Truth be told.. he may need that stat line for Bell to win this game as I don't see a scenario where Hodge and CAL don't put up around 40 plus themselves.