What will it take for a NKY 6A State title?

What 6A NKY team brings home the 1st State Title?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What Northern Kentucky big school will bring home the first 6A State Champiohship Trophy?

• Campbell County
    • Ryle
    • Simon Kenton
    • Other (A team currently in a lower division that moves to 6A in the future)

Since the beginning of the 6 class system, only two teams from Northern Kentucky have reached the title game, both resulting in blowout losses.  Dixie Heights lost 47-14, to Trinity in 2014 and Simon Kenton got blanked 48-0 by the Shamrocks in 2008.  What magical combination needs to be unlocked to get a 6A win for a Northern Kentucky school?  In your opinion, will we see it happen anytime soon?  What NKY Big school will get that first title?

IMO Campbell Co has the most potential to get it done if they can retain players. That may sound crazy, but Alexandria is exploding in population and there is no other large school in the area to poach players.  Their middle school teams both won NKMSAA championships this year and varsity was a few plays away from winning the district. Gotta keep building, but I see a potential 10 year window, or until another school is built, where CCHS can do some things. 

• Like 1

Not to be a smart aleck, but Cov Cath or Highlands moving up.  The CovCath team with Maher (sp?) or the Highlands teams of Derek Smith/Lorenzen or the Guiduigli/Rob Smith/Grover/Hamblen teams to me could have won 6A.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brown said:

Not to be a smart aleck, but Cov Cath or Highlands moving up.  The CovCath team with Maher (sp?) or the Highlands teams of Derek Smith/Lorenzen or the Guiduigli/Rob Smith/Grover/Hamblen teams to me could have won 6A.

Remember CCH dropped from 5A to 4A so I would say they are a long way off.

Does anyone know if Highlands is anywhere close to 6A numbers?

1 minute ago, Brown said:

Neither are even close to moving up. CovCath is 4A and Highlands is bottom 3 in enrollment for 5A. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 1959 said:

Neither are even close to moving up. CovCath is 4A and Highlands is bottom 3 in enrollment for 5A. 

I agree - I was just stating if those teams were playing up they could have won it. (I always thought HIghlands played up a level to stay with CC at one point).  

5 minutes ago, Brown said:

I agree - I was just stating if those teams were playing up they could have won it. (I always thought HIghlands played up a level to stay with CC at one point).  

As I understand it, this is the first year in quite some time that Highlands is playing in its correct class. The school has an exceptionally large sophomore class which may have been the deciding factor in them being bumped up to a legitimate 5A school, as opposed to a 4A team playing up. Which they had been doing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brown said:

2017, 2018 & 2019 CCH would’ve certainly had a shot at winning 6A. 2018 fell short against South Warren but they were right there. South Warren was the #1 team in the state in 2018 and Cov Cath was ranked #1 the next year when they won 5A. Beat a championship LaSalle team that year as well. 

• Like 2