BluegrassPreps.com Mr. Football Watchlist (9/5)

DevilMayCare

Hensley Jerks A Knot In Panthers' Tail 

A few short weeks ago, Brady Hensley was viewed as the Robin to Cutter Boley's Batman

Each week since has witnessed Robin recalibrate the Mr. Football narrative more and more in his favor. Boley may still end up walking away with it at season's end, but his running back has been the state's 'player of the year' so far. 

His breakaway speed grabbed headlines against Bowling Green. Last week, Pikeville got a look at the power and physicality in his repertoire.

Hensley was a brute at the goal line, disregarding arm tackles and leaving bodies in piles on his way to a four touchdown night and 191 yards all together.

Pikeville safety Deonte Stevens instinctively lowered his shoulder as Hensley was crossing the goal line for the second of his four scores. Hensley responded like a bull charging a matador waving a red cape, "goring" Stevens and leaving him doubled over.

The sequence dripped attitude from a player ready and willing to impose himself on even the most battle hardened of defenses.

Boley spent the night in game manager mode, finishing with 160 passing yards and a rushing touchdown. 

It's time to rethink the Batman and Robin dynamic. 

'Passing' The Test In Week 3

In the eyes of many, Boley is still a "cut" above at quarterback, but there's a crowded field waiting for him to slip up. 

Chief among them is Cole Hodge, who authored Week 3's most impressive statistical output. He passed and ran for nearly 400 yards and threw a career best seven touchdown passes to outpace a dangerous North Hardin squad. 

Hodge and Boley will share the field this week in the season's most hyped head to head quarterback battle. Have your popcorn ready.

The signal callers at Covington Catholic and Highlands both moved on from the previous week's events in Fort Thomas to post strong outings in blowout wins.

Evan Pitzer and Brody Benke have both played their way onto the fringes of the Mr. Football conversation this week. Pitzer was sharp against Simon Kenton, completing 13 of 16 balls for 249 yards and three touchdowns, plus another 39 yards and a score with his legs. 

Not to be outdone, Benke accounted for 346 yards passing, running, and receiving with five combined scores in a defense optional contest with Campbell County. He even snapped the ball and caught a two point conversion on the same play. When was the last time you saw that?

The two have ushered in a return to form we haven't seen from CovCath and Highlands quarterbacks in at least a few years. In Highlands' case, longer.

Rounding out a superb week at the position, Trevor Havill impressed as St. Xavier returned to the top of the polls with a victory over Male. He connected on 19 of 27 attempts for 258 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Both touchdown passes exhibited his ability to stay cool and keep his eyes downfield. 

Stepping over the other names at this position won't be easy. For now, he's the leader of the state's top ranked team. Add his physical tools to the mix, and Havill is one to watch going forward. 

Noteworthy Performances From Week 3

- One of Pitzer's touchdown passes was a catch and run by Willie Rodriguez, covering 59 yards after spinning out of and slipping tackles. He added a handful of defensive stops and played a hand in creating two turnovers, forcing a fumble and recovering another. Whether he's catching balls, gliding through secondaries, running down ball carriers, or pancaking defenders, you can't help but feel you're watching the best player on the field every time the Colonels play. The Hudl link below is a sample platter of all the services Rodriguez offers, and it's all from last week's win over Simon Kenton. 

A little of this, a little of that vs. Simon Kenton

- As the Boyle County/Danville rivalry erodes into a shell of its former self, this year's contest was little more than an opportunity for the Rebels to get their stars a few touches early before exiting the game unscathed. Avery Bodner scored a rushing touchdown on three straight first quarter possessions while Sage Dawson misfired on only one of eight throws for 127 yards and a score to help rout the Ads, 56-0.

- Daniel Thomas' pursuit of a second consecutive state rushing title is off to a strong start. He worked over Letcher County Central for 229 yards and four touchdowns in a 52-18 no doubter for Bell County. This marked the third straight game of 200+ for Thomas to begin the season and the eighth such occurrence of his career. 

Players Featured This Week

Brady Hensley (RB/DB, Lexington Christian Academy)

Season to date: 79 carries for 746 yards and 10 touchdowns | 115 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns

Highlights: vs. Pikeville

Cutter Boley (Lexington Christian Academy)

Season to date: 59/98 for 908 yards and 6 touchdowns and 4 interceptions

Cole Hodge (QB, Christian Academy of Louisville)

Season to date: 62/86 for 863 yards and 15 touchdowns with 1 interception | 141 rushing yards and 1 touchdown

Evan Pitzer (QB, Covington Catholic)

Season to date: 49/68 for 725 yards and 7 touchdowns with 0 interceptions | 149 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns 

Highlights: vs. Simon Kenton

Brody Benke (QB, Highlands)

Season to date: 35/53 for 543 yards and 6 touchdowns with 3 interceptions | 335 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns | 54 receiving yards and 1 touchdown 

Highlights: riding the Camels hard

Trevor Havill (QB, Saint Xavier)

Season to date: 40/61 for 541 yards and 7 touchdowns with 2 interceptions | 2 rushing touchdowns 

Highlights: Weeks 1-3

Willie Rodriguez (TE/LB, Covington Catholic)

Season to date: 8 receptions for 187 yards and 3 touchdowns | 12 tackles | 3 TFL | 1 fumble forced and 1 recovered

Avery Bodner (RB/DB, Boyle County)

Season to date: 30 carries for 240 yards and 6 touchdowns | 6 receptions for 145 yards and 1 touchdown | 25 tackles | 1 interception 

Sage Dawson (QB/DB, Boyle County)

Season to date: 29/43 for 576 yards and 5 touchdowns with 1 interception 

Daniel Thomas (RB/LB, Bell County)

Season to date: 72 carries for 796 yards and 13 touchdowns | 15 tackles | 1 scoop and score 

Highlights: Weeks 1-3

• Like 4

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums (i.e. bet, over/under, spread, parlay, chips, line, odds, wager). All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

All these kids are studs. Tremendous players and there are many more not listed here.  I’ll go ahead and say tho, if you haven’t watched Hensley play in person. You are missing out!  I don’t see how 1 player could do more for his TEAM!  Against great competition. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, WYW said:

All these kids are studs. Tremendous players and there are many more not listed here.  I’ll go ahead and say tho, if you haven’t watched Hensley play in person. You are missing out!  I don’t see how 1 player could do more for his TEAM!  Against great competition. 

At first I wasn't worried about 2A bc of LCA maybe depending more on the pass and their defense but seeing this kid on film and how LCA is realizing they better use him...2A should be put on notice as well as any other Mr. KENTUCKY candidates...

I think Evan Pitzer could easily throw 40+ TDs this year with the easy remaining schedule CovCath has. He has so many weapons to throw to which is usually 6 or more receivers per game. The only thing they will hurt him is CovCath likes to be a balanced attack on offense so that will hurt his passing yards as well as TD passes this year. 

As for Willie Rodriguez, he is a beast. He could easily catch lots of balls for many yards per game  and have 15 TDs on the year but he won’t just because again CCH likes to spread the ball around which is fine by me. Personally I think he likes blocking people as a tight end more and pancaking them to the ground. Always fun to watch. Especially when he drove that Highlands player to the ground on that block and he got up and hit Willie in the helmet out of frustration. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Especially when he drove that Highlands player to the ground on that block and he got up and hit Willie in the helmet out of frustration. 

Remember the play well.   He was blocking well after the whistle.    Should have been offsetting penalties

• Haha 1

Harrison County's Haydon Custard has 851 yards passing, 439 yards rushing, and 16 total TDs through 3 games. These stats go along with a fumble recovery and a pick-six. 

Do I think he will win the award? No. Does he deserve some recognition for what he's doing? Absolutely. 

Also worth mentioning that Daniel Thomas is on pace to break the single season rushing record if Bell County were to make it to a region championship (yes I know there are a lot of "ifs" factored into that but it gives us something fun to keep track of).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, WishboneCity said:

Also worth mentioning that Daniel Thomas is on pace to break the single season rushing record if Bell County were to make it to a region championship (yes I know there are a lot of "ifs" factored into that but it gives us something fun to keep track of).

Something else to track: Thomas and Hensley are #1 and #2 in the state in rushing buy a wide margin. We know Hilton is going to ride Thomas as far as his legs will carry Bell County. Whether or not Hensley can keep pace is a fun little Mr. Football subplot to follow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WishboneCity said:

Harrison County's Haydon Custard has 851 yards passing, 439 yards rushing, and 16 total TDs through 3 games. These stats go along with a fumble recovery and a pick-six. 

Do I think he will win the award? No. Does he deserve some recognition for what he's doing? Absolutely. 

NKY will get a chance to see Custard in action twice this year.  His Thorobreds visit Grant Co. on 9/23 then at Park Hills on 10/13 to meet Pitzer, Rodriguez, and the Colonels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1