Is Highlands' Coach Sphire in a do or die situation?

Bumping this one again since we will need some football angle to talk about all Winter.  So three years in and Highlands still has a Championship drought under the new leadership team.  Past threads regarding the coaching situations at Highlands have seen the HHS faithful demanding championships and nothing less.  Serious questions: Has the Highlands football community become accepting of no longer being a Championship level program?  Will changes be demanded if, after year 4, there is still no new Championship trophy in the case at HHS?  Will the deal brokers who engineered bringing the current crew on board be part of the process if a change is sought after next year? Inquiring minds want to know...

38 minutes ago, En Fuego Hombre said:

Bumping this one again since we will need some football angle to talk about all Winter.  So three years in and Highlands still has a Championship drought under the new leadership team.  Past threads regarding the coaching situations at Highlands have seen the HHS faithful demanding championships and nothing less.  Serious questions: Has the Highlands football community become accepting of no longer being a Championship level program?  Will changes be demanded if, after year 4, there is still no new Championship trophy in the case at HHS?  Will the deal brokers who engineered bringing the current crew on board be part of the process if a change is sought after next year? Inquiring minds want to know...

Three or four weeks ago I was thinking this thread could be put out to pasture but after Cooper came into Fort Thomas and left with a victory and then Cooper (with a lot coming back) got beat by a Bowling Green team with a lot coming back I have to wonder if all the "Highlands - we are back - Excitement" was premature and now Coach Sphire is once again in a do or die situation for 2024. 

Personally, the Highlands fan within me is happy with Coach Sphire and hopes he stays a few more years, but at some point the results have to show up.

Anyone?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Bob Sphire is an excellent football coach. And, continuity is underrated. 

No doubt both things are true, but in Fort Thomas, it has always been about winning championships.  Continuity, when it involves losing the big games, can only go so far. 

35 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I believe the first part of this comment is accurate & agree 100% with the second part.

It seems Highlands has improved year-to-year under the current regime, which should be looked upon favorably in BIG 🍰-land...from the outside looking in, it appears things are on the upswing.

Best of luck next season 

This is a tough topic b/c this program has really seen a jolt of excitement ever since #1MARCH, when Coach B Sphire came to the Fort.  The community for the most part has rallied around this program to create a renewed energy for the positive that was lacking for awhile prior to Coach's arrival.  

I think the DAY 1 issue that Highlands needed to fix which put them behind the 8 ball for a few years was the Strength & Conditioning aspect of the Birds players.  We were probably 20-40 pounds lighter (at least) in every position on the roster to be able to compete in 5A.  All the students in the program I believe really has hit this issue hard.  I mean did you see our lineman this year?  We were probably the biggest OLine and DLine in at least 10 years!  For Highlands to be a Top contender in 5A it (in my opinion) starts at the line....until this past year that was NOT THERE at all.

Now I believe 3 years in we are dealing with the other type of issues...What personnel should be playing, of course there were grumblings about Rio vs Benke at QB, should Rio play QB and let Benke play TE, should we pass more, should we run more, etc, etc, etc.  I think in the next 3 years is going to be the critical years in regards to how hot it gets in that coaching room is who they decide to go with and was it the right call, in the opinion of the FTM.

Until then I am tickled pink that Highlands is back in the 5A State Contender conversations, I mean we were the #1 RPI team in 5A, do we get a ribbon for that? LOL  First time as #1 in our class in BGP rankings during the season since what 2014?  We are where we want to be....now they just need to finish what they started 3 years ago....

#GOBIRDS, #1MARCH, #BEATCOLONELS

• Like 2

I will address this topic some.  Bob Sphire is in a situation very similar to the one Tom Duffy was in when he arrived.  Got the program turned around and heading in the right direction but stepped on some toes in the process.  Winning cures a lot.  The big question with Bob is how many more years does he have left?  There is plenty returning for the Birds next year to be in the hunt again.  The key is to have classes mesh so that best  are getting on the field.

I firmly believe that the next coach is residing in Fort Thomas and coaching in Ohio.  Missed the first time, but will not miss twice.  Only question would be how they employ him.

As for QB next year, there are three kids to fight it out, but two are really good “football” players and will find a place to play somewhere.  Name to remember for next three years, Gabe Williams.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I will address this topic some.  Bob Sphire is in a situation very similar to the one Tom Duffy was in when he arrived.  Got the program turned around and heading in the right direction but stepped on some toes in the process.  Winning cures a lot.  The big question with Bob is how many more years does he have left?  There is plenty returning for the Birds next year to be in the hunt again.  The key is to have classes mesh so that best  are getting on the field.

I firmly believe that the next coach is residing in Fort Thomas and coaching in Ohio.  Missed the first time, but will not miss twice.  Only question would be how they employ him.

As for QB next year, there are three kids to fight it out, but two are really good “football” players and will find a place to play somewhere.  Name to remember for next three years, Gabe Williams.

I am in 110% agreement with JOAT!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Chief, football people understand this. Football fans( derive identity from team success) do not. Many of these folks will not admit that there was not a line of applicants all the way down Memorial Parkway to apply last time. There's a bunch of fine coaches out there developing good programs..... people have caught up with them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, En Fuego Hombre said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current crew as you say we're not exactly the "first choice". Maybe this should tell you something. That search was great entertainment for many of us in the Big FT lol.