Christian Academy-Louisville vs. Bardstown Predictions/Updates (3A State Championship)

DevilMayCare

Centurions vs. Tigers  

80 members have voted

1. 1. The Class 3A Champion will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/2022 at 05:00 PM

721hn5.thumb.jpg.db48c8add5b161d3b3cdd02b650b487c.jpg

CAL and Bardstown Convene With State Title, Immortality On The Line

Records: CAL (14-0) | Bardstown (14-0)

BGP Ranking: CAL (#1 in 3A) | Bardstown (#2 in 3A)

Series History: CAL leads 7-3 all-time 

Table Setter: The Class 3A finals certainly hits the high notes. We've got #1 vs. #2. Both are undefeated. "Old money" vs. "New money". 

CAL is looking to cement its status as a modern blueblood with a third state title in seven years across two classes, the latter feat only accomplished in the six class era by Highlands, Beechwood, Mayfield, and Boyle County.

Bardstown has watched 21 years come and go since John Wesley Monin led them to the program's fourth and most recent championship. 

They've both expertly navigated their respective schedules to arrive at the summit of the 2022 season. The Centurions ascended to #1 on September 12th and the Tigers made the leap to #2 a week later. Both have been entrenched there ever since. 

CAL has endured but one true test this year, narrowly outrunning the storm of Paducah Tilghman, ever the late bloomer. The other thirteen wins came by an average margin of 44 points. 

Bardstown's resolve has been stretched to its limits this year, as the injury report has seemingly grown by the week. But needless to say, in the tug of war between fight and flight, the Tigers opted to dig their heels in and punch back. A closer-than-expected win over Nelson County in the second round suggested the mounting injuries were on the verge of catching up with the the Tigers, before they threw down one of the more impressive scores by anyone in the class this year, a 66-33 dismantling of unbeaten, #3 Union County.

The semifinals couldn't have gone differently for our finalists. CAL ran Ashland off its home turf in Louisville from the opening kick, while Bardstown didn't secure breathing room against Mason County until the later stages of the final frame.

No matter. It's all behind them now. All that remains is what's ahead: 48 minutes to etch their names in history as undefeated state champions.

Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday, December 3rd at 12:00pm (noon).

339911487_ChristianAcademyLouisvillevsBa

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Christian Academy-Louisville vs. Bardstown Predictions/Updates (3A State Championship)

I'll admit that I don't know much about CAL other than their perfect record and ability to bully their opponents on the field.  I'd like to see Bardstown pull this one out and even voted for them in the poll.  But all signs seem to point towards CAL coming out victorious.

1 hour ago, Cameraman said:

I'll admit that I don't know much about CAL other than their perfect record and ability to bully their opponents on the field.  I'd like to see Bardstown pull this one out and even voted for them in the poll.  But all signs seem to point towards CAL coming out victorious.

• Like 1

If you watch the Ashland game, CAL looks like world-beaters, but in my view Ashland went for it on 4th down at least 3 times in their own territory and did not pick up a first down.

If you watch the Paducah Tilghman game, CAL looks good but not invincible, and PT had several drives where they moved the ball and 2 or 3 chances to win that game.  They were hurt by kick returns, that blocked punt before half, and an inexplicable desire to always throw the ball deep when perfectly good receivers were wide open in the middle.

• Like 1

I think Bardstown has the horses to compete for part of this game. I continue to be impressed by TyTy. Without him Bardstown doesn't win the Mason Co. game. I think the problem for Bardstown will be 2 things...As I've been saying all year, CAL doesn't have linemen that go both ways. That is huge in HS football especially at the 3A level. Second, I'm concerned with what I saw out of Bardstown's secondary Friday night. They had a ton of PI calls. CALs passing game is pretty prolific and if Bardstown can't cover it could be a long night. I'll take CAL 45-20

2 hours ago, JellyRoll said:

I think Bardstown has the horses to compete for part of this game. I continue to be impressed by TyTy. Without him Bardstown doesn't win the Mason Co. game. I think the problem for Bardstown will be 2 things...As I've been saying all year, CAL doesn't have linemen that go both ways. That is huge in HS football especially at the 3A level. Second, I'm concerned with what I saw out of Bardstown's secondary Friday night. They had a ton of PI calls. CALs passing game is pretty prolific and if Bardstown can't cover it could be a long night. I'll take CAL 45-20

Technically, most of our lineman and linebackers only play one way. Morgan is a two-way starter, and Kaden Stone starts at middle linebacker and fullback. Ferrell had to play both linebacker and tight end while Nalley was out with a concussion, but he is back now. Most every other player starts one side and probably only gets spot plays the other way.

The secondary is a concern. We had lost both starting corners the week before, and had to do quick subs. One of them was the QB, Clark, who had not played any D since September 30. He drew several of the PI’s. It is what it is. On another note, Mason’s QB was only 7-25 passing for 85 yards, so other than the PI’s we defended pretty well. Agree that Hodge is a stud, though.

Bardstown has to play their most fundamentally sound game of the year. CAL has a few of the best coaches in the state in Hunter Cantwell, Doug Beaumont, Chris Redmon, and Keith Towbridge. All have major D1/NFL experience and know ball. This CAL team doesn’t have any standout athletes that make you say wow but they are extremely well coached and every player knows their assignment. Bardstown is probably more athletic at their top guys but I question their lower end starters. Hoping for a great game and I’ll take CAL 35-21.