Covington Catholic 27 Pikeville 19 (Pike County Bowl)

The Colonels need to work on consistency up front on both sides of the ball. The O-line looked like a sieve on some plays with players getting in the backfield and Pitzer hitting the turf 4 or 5 times, at least. Lots of attempts to arm tackle on the defensive side of things.

- With a positive spin, beating a really good small school in their own stadium after a long bus ride is no doubt a good win. With a negative spin, having a close game with a 1A school that couldn’t throw the ball at all (even though the QB was a real nice athlete) is concerning.

- I think we are going to be in a lot of one possession games this year, probably against Lex Cath, Ryle, Cooper, Highlands and maybe Beechwood. We can’t have 2 bad special teams plays (getting a punt blocked and roughing their punter). Even though that was offset by Braylon Miller taking a punt back for 6.

- Miller is a nice player, not a crazy athlete, but I think he’s really technically sound in coverage and dynamic as a returner. 

- I thought Evan Pitzer played well. His ability to create off schedule and use his legs was a big difference, especially in the first half. We are going to need to have him keep improving to beat some of the better teams on the schedule later on. On the stream, I couldn’t tell if he was holding on to the ball too long or if the OL struggled in pass pro, I’m leaning towards the OL struggling. We have to get it cleaned up or use more max protection since we aren’t yet able to generate explosive plays within the flow of the offense. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCHFC said:

- With a positive spin, beating a really good small school in their own stadium after a long bus ride is no doubt a good win. With a negative spin, having a close game with a 1A school that couldn’t throw the ball at all (even though the QB was a real nice athlete) is concerning.

- I think we are going to be in a lot of one possession games this year, probably against Lex Cath, Ryle, Cooper, Highlands and maybe Beechwood. We can’t have 2 bad special teams plays (getting a punt blocked and roughing their punter). Even though that was offset by Braylon Miller taking a punt back for 6.

- Miller is a nice player, not a crazy athlete, but I think he’s really technically sound in coverage and dynamic as a returner. 

- I thought Evan Pitzer played well. His ability to create off schedule and use his legs was a big difference, especially in the first half. We are going to need to have him keep improving to beat some of the better teams on the schedule later on. On the stream, I couldn’t tell if he was holding on to the ball too long or if the OL struggled in pass pro, I’m leaning towards the OL struggling. We have to get it cleaned up or use more max protection since we aren’t yet able to generate explosive plays within the flow of the offense. 

How many of the linemen are practicing playing both ways? I haven't paid that much attention to it this year.

As a 5A school, CCH should have players enough to have dedicated offensive linemen who practice fulltime on offense and a separate squad of dedicated defensive linemen who practice fulltime on defense. I think the attempts we see at arm tackling on defense and the confusion on the o-line when the defense brings a war party blitzing will clean itself up a lot if we had fewer players going both ways.

Hmmmmm, that Howell Top 30 had Pikeville at #13. Next week we got #27 LexCath. CovCath usually struggles against them but I think LexCath is not as good as last year's team so it may be a toss up on who wins. Not convinced on Covcath yet but my expectations were not too high on the Colonels but prove me wrong. 

• Haha 1

I thought the O-Line did fine. We were moving the ball most of the night. I’m leaning towards the QB is holding the ball too long. Yes Pikeville made some nice defensive plays but you are going to see that in every game. 

Great win boys!  Let’s continue to prove Teeroy wrong with another win over a “top 30” team next week. 

• Like 2

I saw the OL get beaten one one one several times. But yelled, “get rid of the ball” to the QB a few times, as well. Lots of “do better” to go around. 
Colonels lack of speed is a bit concerning. A couple could be pointed out to be playing out of position. Gotta do what ya gotta do though. 
The pass play under three minutes when QB was sacked for a big loss is still questionable to me. 
Never the less, going to Pikeville and getting a win is solid! 

5 hours ago, The Oracle said:

How many of the linemen are practicing playing both ways? I haven't paid that much attention to it this year.

As a 5A school, CCH should have players enough to have dedicated offensive linemen who practice fulltime on offense and a separate squad of dedicated defensive linemen who practice fulltime on defense. I think the attempts we see at arm tackling on defense and the confusion on the o-line when the defense brings a war party blitzing will clean itself up a lot if we had fewer players going both ways.

I think we have two that start both ways and a couple of other guys that rotate in and out. I would agree that ideally you’re able to two platoon, but I think even Cov Cath is probably too small of a school to be able to do that and really compete most years. 

CovCath was near the bottom of 5A on number of students and assume they still are.  But if they had enough big guys  who were capable I’m am sure they would lovE to platoon. Don’t think they have the numbers of big enough guys. Need to get junk yard dog attitude going.  

16 hours ago, GottaLuvFootball said:

CovCath was near the bottom of 5A on number of students and assume they still are.  But if they had enough big guys  who were capable I’m am sure they would lovE to platoon. Don’t think they have the numbers of big enough guys. Need to get junk yard dog attitude going.  

CovCath’s enrollment has dropped just in the last few years. Not a good look and shouldn’t be happening, but they are under 500 students, almost closer to 450. 

32 minutes ago, TheConch said:

CovCath’s enrollment has dropped just in the last few years. Not a good look and shouldn’t be happening, but they are under 500 students, almost closer to 450. 

It states 503 students for the 21/22 school year on their webpage. Seems  like it was always around 600 students for many years. That is low.

1 hour ago, bluecolonels95 said:

It states 503 students for the 21/22 school year on their webpage. Seems  like it was always around 600 students for many years. That is low.

Most if not all schools in the diocese have seen enrollment drops in this range since 2015. 

That could be correct, but was told by a faculty member that we were looking down to 450, not looking up to 500. 

Regardless, even at 503 is really sad.

I don't know that they ever went up to 600, but they were around 500 for most of the 90's and early 00's...around 125 per class. Then made their way up to around 550, 575 on the 2010's. Maybe even got up near 600.

Enrollments started dropping in Catholic schools as a rolling impact of the 2008 economic downturn. Families had to cinch up their belts financially, and for a lot of people, that meant opting to send their kids to public school instead of paying tuition for private schools. So currently there are 1) families who have kids who have established friendships in public schools, and 2) families who have acclimated their finances to not paying private school tuition and don't really have an interest to start into paying the tuition.

To a large extent, the enrollment drop was something Catholic schools like Cov Cath have seen coming. But yes, I believe Cov Cath is currently somewhere in the 400s for enrollment now.