Bowling Green vs. North Hardin Predictions/Updates (8/20)

Purple88

Who Wins this game?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/20/2022 at 04:00 PM

GREAT Night Cap for the Rafferty's Bowl right here!

In order to do this game justice, you will get both a Bowling Green perspective (from me) and a North Hardin perspective (from my man @Hardin County Preps), which will be provided below!

Bowling Green enters the 2022 season on a roller coaster ride hitting the highs of the 2020 State Championship then hitting the lows of 2021 with a 6 and 6 record not seen in nearly 20 years.  The Purples come into this season equally wanting to get back in the discussion of being a State Title Contender and answering doubter’s questions.

In 2022, the BG offense should be improved.  Last season, QB questions lingered, the offensive line had to be shuffled pretty much all year long, the skill positions were just not near the level they were in 2020.  But now SO QB Deuce Bailey is the clear starter.  That fact alone gets BG out of the gate in a better position this year.  In the Scott County scrimmage, the OLine performance was better than any of 2021.  The OL group will be predominantly senior laden and anchored by Liberty commit Austin Anderson, who has been a staple for the Purples OLine for 3 seasons now.  While the RB position may be by committee early, the WRs should be much improved highlighted by SR Bert Kibawa and a group of younger talented players including CJ Sweeney, Easton Barlow, and Trevy Barber. 

On the defensive side, BGs back 7 will be very good.  Their LBs (Davis Fant and Jake Napier) are both SRs and terrific players.  Their DBs and Safetys are also very solid led by SR CB Augustin Nyembo and Kibawa will also see some time in this group.  BGs defensive line this season is a bit of an unknown after being the anchor of the team the past couple years.  SR Jordan Green has waited his turn and is a very good player to help lead this group. 

The Purples kicking game should be in good shape with Seniors Colin Fratus kicking and Davis Fant punting.  The return game will use multiple guys who have good speed. 

Concerning this game, I look to how BG has started the last couple years in the Rafferty’s Bowl and that is honestly sluggish.  But I expect them to have a lot more things figured out than they did this time last year.  I’m told the Male scrimmage was a real challenge for BG and rightfully so.  I’m hoping that scrimmage will focus the Purples to come out with a purpose and jump on a young North Hardin team early.  We’ll see.  Really looking forward to getting the season going and from a Purples perspective in a more positive manner than the 2021 season started!  Go Purples!

Now on to North Hardin's perspective below.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is from my man @Hardin County Preps:  Great job HCP!

North Hardin enters the 2022 season in a rebuilding mode after having lost 18 seniors to graduation in 2021 and 21 to graduation in 2020. Losses from last season include 4 year starter at QB, Manie Wimberle, Isaiah Palmer, Micah Parmes, and Skylar Coffey. Key play-makers returning this season include WR Shaun Rose, WR Shawn Boykins, RB Kye Boyd. The North Hardin offense has speed at the skill positions and as a unit they are good at downfield blocking as well as being unselfish players. Boyd is a strong, physical RB that you have to gang tackle in order to bring down. 6'7" 320# G Tre Alexander has already drawn interest from the likes of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Army, Cincinnati, and Akron, and can be a dominant force along the offensive line. 

The defense lost a lot of starters from last year's team and is young. One bright spot is Jaylen Alfonso at DB. He is a natural playing at the CB position with good speed and a nose for the ball. 

North Hardin starts their 2022 campaign against perennial power Bowling Green in the Rafferty's Bowl at WKU. This game should be close thru 3 quarters, but Bowling Green should make enough plays down the stretch to pull this one out. North Hardin lacks depth that it has had in recent years and the lack of a downfield passing threat could cause them problems this season when teams stack the box against to counter their running game. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:41 PM, Purple88 said:

GREAT Night Cap for the Rafferty's Bowl right here!

In order to do this game justice, you will get both a Bowling Green perspective (from me) and a North Hardin perspective (from my man @Hardin County Preps), which will be provided below!

Bowling Green enters the 2022 season on a roller coaster ride hitting the highs of the 2020 State Championship then hitting the lows of 2021 with a 6 and 6 record not seen in nearly 20 years.  The Purples come into this season equally wanting to get back in the discussion of being a State Title Contender and answering doubter’s questions.

In 2022, the BG offense should be improved.  Last season, QB questions lingered, the offensive line had to be shuffled pretty much all year long, the skill positions were just not near the level they were in 2020.  But now SO QB Deuce Bailey is the clear starter.  That fact alone gets BG out of the gate in a better position this year.  In the Scott County scrimmage, the OLine performance was better than any of 2021.  The OL group will be predominantly senior laden and anchored by Liberty commit Austin Anderson, who has been a staple for the Purples OLine for 3 seasons now.  While the RB position may be by committee early, the WRs should be much improved highlighted by SR Bert Kibawa and a group of younger talented players including CJ Sweeney, Easton Barlow, and Trevy Barber. 

On the defensive side, BGs back 7 will be very good.  Their LBs (Davis Fant and Jake Napier) are both SRs and terrific players.  Their DBs and Safetys are also very solid led by SR CB Augustin Nyembo and Kibawa will also see some time in this group.  BGs defensive line this season is a bit of an unknown after being the anchor of the team the past couple years.  SR Jordan Green has waited his turn and is a very good player to help lead this group. 

The Purples kicking game should be in good shape with Seniors Colin Fratus kicking and Davis Fant punting.  The return game will use multiple guys who have good speed. 

Concerning this game, I look to how BG has started the last couple years in the Rafferty’s Bowl and that is honestly sluggish.  But I expect them to have a lot more things figured out than they did this time last year.  I’m told the Male scrimmage was a real challenge for BG and rightfully so.  I’m hoping that scrimmage will focus the Purples to come out with a purpose and jump on a young North Hardin team early.  We’ll see.  Really looking forward to getting the season going and from a Purples perspective in a more positive manner than the 2021 season started!  Go Purples!

Now on to North Hardin's perspective below.

Great write-up as always @Purple88. I agree with a lot of it. I try not to pay too much attention to scrimmages because they are scrimmages, BUT I am concerned with what I saw from the BG offense the last two weeks.

I thought BG's O-line was definitely improved from last year.  They've still got some issues, but it is an improvement. 

Again it's a scrimmage but to me BG's offense didn't look any different than last year. It struggled to move the ball. Tunrovers, turnovers, turnovers....... They lack any go-to players on offense other than the QB who is still a sophomore.  

I don't know how North Hardin is and it sounds like they lost a lot from last year, so that is good news for BG. I think BG is at least on the upswing. But if this is a close game or BG gets behind I think the Purples will struggle.

But if NH is down or BG can get some early points then the Purples will take care of business. BG's Rafferty's Bowl record is not great as of late. 

From what I saw, BG will have to count on field goals, and special teams to help with points. I doubt you will see BG pass on too many field goals this year. It's probably best to just take the points. 

With NH being down, I am saying 

Purples 21
North H. 14

Buy your tickets through the link @Purple88posted. It will be cheaper than a day or two before the game. Also more of that money goes to the school's split and not WKU. They use the Hometown Ticket app which I have had a great experience with.

Should be great weather and I am looking forward to Football kicking off!

Alright, RAFFERTY'S BOWL JUST A DAY AWAY!

It's pretty quiet around here. I haven't heard much news or any information. The forecast looks great for both games. Shouldn't have to worry about a heat delay. A rain shower looks possible earlier in the day, but rain chances throughout the day and night are low. Hopefully, the humidity will remain low. 

For anyone traveling from NH or Highlands remember BG is on Central time. Buy your tickets through the Bowling Green link that's above. It goes through the Hometown App which works pretty well. 

Also Western Kentucky University is starting back next week. So lots of people moving in and around campus this weekend. Watch where you park and expect it to be a little hectic. 

• Like 2

Good opener for the Purples - I think this will allow them some momentum going into the season.  I look for them to win pretty easily.  I think they are 4-0 heading into the Boyle game and who knows from there.

28-7 BG

• Like 3

Thanks @Killowatt59 for pumping some energy here!

It sounds like BG has a couple injuries their dealing with that won't play on Saturday. 

While I think BG can overcome that in this game, you always want your best guys on the field and not the sideline.

The first quarter of this game will be really telling.  Which team jumps on the other first?

I'm hoping BG can be more focused this game and get their offense started early in this one.

Going to be a fun time at WKU this Saturday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

Thanks @Killowatt59 for pumping some energy here!

It sounds like BG has a couple injuries their dealing with that won't play on Saturday. 

While I think BG can overcome that in this game, you always want your best guys on the field and not the sideline.

The first quarter of this game will be really telling.  Which team jumps on the other first?

I'm hoping BG can be more focused this game and get their offense started early in this one.

Going to be a fun time at WKU this Saturday!

You are right I think BG needs to jump ahead early. I really don't know what to expect. It sounds like everyone is saying North Hardin is just really down this season. That will help the Purples as they are on the upswing and I hope they get better every week.

• Like 1