Open Job: Ashland

Tigerpride94

11 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Is Chad Tackett the heir apparent?

He could be. I have been hearing if Love stepped down they may look to hire within. I'd even heard Scott Marsh from West Jessamine being thrown around as well. He is the son of former Ashland head coach Vic Marsh.  Chad Tackett has head coaching experience as he used to be the head coach at Fairview.

Met Tony when when he was on Leon Hart's staff. Excellent coach. Wish him the best. Tackett, Phelps and Marsh are strong coaches. The Tomcats have a history of making strong hires.

Putnam Stadium is one of the best places for KY HS Football. Love that place...especially the old visitors lockerroom... brick with chalk diagrams from many years ago. Will always remember being in that lockerroom with the 2003 Royals. Before that game, most folks thought we would get blown out of the water in old 3A.  We had been 2A up until then (KHSAA ... only time they did a two year average instead of a 4 year average, bumped us up. Lucky us.) Those kids did a super job.  Chris Lofton was the guy I put on the spot in the pregame talk. He responded well. Like always.  

• Like 1

Chris was an amazing player. I always loved Russell's battles with Mason County. I hope one day they will get back to that Level. 2002 Mason County might be their best team ever. They were close to Russell that year and Russell came so close to playing Corbin that year in the finals. I still Consider 2002 to be the best team Russell has ever had in my lifetime even though they came up short.

1 minute ago, GOREDDEVILS said:

Chris was an amazing player. I always loved Russell's battles with Mason County. I hope one day they will get back to that Level. 2002 Mason County might be their best team ever. They were close to Russell that year and Russell came so close to playing Corbin that year in the finals. I still Consider 2002 to be the best team Russell has ever had in my lifetime even though they came up short.

We didn't play the Red Devils in 2003. Our 2002 team was very good, but 2003 was better.  2003, Highlands beat us one TD in the snow in the semifinals.

4 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

We didn't play the Red Devils in 2003. Our 2002 team was very good, but 2003 was better.  2003, Highlands beat us one TD in the snow in the semifinals.

I wasn't sure. Now  that you mention that, 2003 definitely would be  their best team. Losing only by 7 to Highlands is pretty impressive even though Mason County lost. I knew that Russell didn't play Mason in 2003 due to Mason moving to 3A.

2 minutes ago, GOREDDEVILS said:

I wasn't sure. Now  that you mention that, 2003 definitely would be  their best team. Losing only by 7 to Highlands is pretty impressive even though Mason County lost.

2002.... round 1 in in Flatwoods, 12-7;  Round 2 in Putnam, 11-8. Never got over either of those losses. 

Glad Coach Love is staying!

Tony posted on FB a few minutes ago the following statement 

Retirement is bittersweet. Below you can read my letter to our administration and my Tomcat Family. Many people have called and messaged, I really appreciate the outpouring of love and support. Nothing is wrong and nothing has happened, it is simply time to hang up the whistle and learn what else in life I can win at. It has been a good 29 years.

December 16, 2021

Mr. Howard, Mr. Campbell, Mr. Conway and Tomcat Nation: 

After careful consideration I have decided to resign as head coach of the Ashland Football program. I have been extremely lucky to have 29 years doing something I love, 28 of those years as a Tomcat is an even bigger blessing. I am grateful for a career spent with some of the best mentors, coaches and players I could have asked for. The incredible families, fans, parents and support staff have also contributed a monumental amount to my success and the success of our program. The Tomcat community has been and continues to be a driving force behind the tradition and passion that motivates us as coaches and the players who are so eager to wear the maroon and white.

I have made it my mission whether as an assistant coach or the head coach to bring honor to this program and to pour myself into generating consistently positive team attitudes as well as respectable records. However, above all the wins and accomplishments the most important treasure to me are the relationships I have developed, especially with my players and the hope I have made a positive impact on part of their lives, I know they have definitely done that for me. 

It has been an amazing journey and I will always be indebted to so many who have helped me through the most difficult times of my life. I am so appreciative to have been part of a great program, dedicated coaches, committed young men and giving parents. I believe this program is in a great position for continued success. The youth programs, the experience returning at the varsity level as well as a staff that is second to none in their commitment to the players will continue to have Tomcat Nation swelling with pride for years to come. 

I am truly honored to have had the opportunity to bring home a State Championship and to have shared my career with such a loyal tradition rich “FAMILY”. I have had a lifetime of friendships, enriching moments and memories as I have watched the transformation of boys into men year after year, numerous weddings, being able to coach both the fathers and the sons, milestone moments of a young man beaming with pride because he earned his first paycheck. I could go on and on about players’ prideful moments and being the guy many come to in joy, heartbreak, anger or just to get something off their chest. I will say this in closing, GOD is great and he has enriched me more than I deserve, I say thank you to all who have been part of this great opportunity I was given. 

Sincerely,

Coach Tony Love

• Like 1