Open Job: Lincoln County

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until the football program is given the same attention as the basketball program it will always play second fiddle. 

I know who it will be, but I’m not telling. Lol Thought I’d be the first to post that in this thread.   

Jaggers, Goldsmith, Rogers, Cooper, Baierlein. All quality candidates. Bottom line, once a coach is selected...THE BEST THING FOR THE KIDS AND PROGRAM IS TO SUPPORT THE COACH. Many a program and

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

Agree with all of this, and I doubt Coach Jackson (at his age now) is telling kids not to play.  But, there has been an established culture/expectation that top tier basketball players for the school shouldn't play football.  That has to change for the football program to return to prominence.  

Agreed. The school has to share its top athletes. This past year’s football team looks very different with a couple of basketball-only kids whose dads and uncles were big-time contributors to past football success.

Some of Coach Jackson’s best teams were led by basketball/football players. People like Ryan Young, Braxston Miller, and Trent Calhoun. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Boone and I go way back. His Dad is a legend in Maysville. Both are great men and excellent football coaches. Besides being a great guy, Boone is a football junkie. I just don't see alot of that anymore. I like that because for a football junkie, being the head coach is not really a job. You think about it 24/7/365. Your brain is always working on it. You do the little things that head coaches must do that no one sees. You are creative and do things no one else is doing or has even thought of. You are constantly working to improve ever facet of your program. 

Another plus for Boone, he is a head freshmen coach. That is much better prep to be  a head football coach than being an OC or DC. When you have to run your own program, you learn how to handle head coach type of stuff. 

Crazy sense of humor like his Dad. Hilarious. Kids love him. He is one of Trosper's favorite people. 

Have no idea if he is interested, but would be a tremendous hire. 

I had the pleasure of meeting him back in the summer, fantastic guy, I could sit and talk football with him for hours, I think him being interested might be a long shot because he bleeds black and gold, loves Boyle County football, just a name I heard and I also thought like you, it would be a fantastic hire, but there is always that question in the back of our minds, would he return to Boyle if the varsity head coaching job ever came open? My guess would be yes he would. 

6 hours ago, CentralSports said:

If Levi isn’t offered the Lincoln County job he will follow Spencer Crutchfield to Garrard County. 

Levi Rogers is the one responsible for bringing Spencer Crutchfield to Lincoln County in the first place as they are first cousins.  Idk if it’s following Spencer to Garrard or another head job because there are other programs interested in him. 

• Like 1
Just now, Backseat Ball Coach said:

Levi Rogers is the one responsible for bringing Spencer Crutchfield to Lincoln County in the first place as they are first cousins.  Idk if it’s following Spencer to Garrard or another head job because there are other programs interested in him. 

Mark my words. If Lincoln doesn’t offer him the head coaching job he will be at Garrard County as an assistant next year. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I am going to ask an obvious question, is there some reason Lincoln wouldn't be interested in hiring Levi Rogers as their head coach?

I'm not sure if he’s qualified to be a teacher maybe? I know you have to have a certain amount of college to be a teacher right? That would be the only reason I don’t see him getting the job, I know you DON'T have to be a teacher but most schools want you to be a teacher and head coach together, and who knows Levi may have enough college to be a teacher, I really don’t know that much about him personally, just the only reason I could see why they may not offer him the job, I know some schools won’t offer you a head job without teaching at the school as well. I think I would hire him, even if he wasn’t a teacher, I’d hire him regardless, especially him being from there, he’s not going to leave, it’s the best situation for both parties in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Mr.Network said:

You can’t make kids play football who want to be the next NBA star. One of the current basketball stars was a man-child on the 8th grade basketball team. I saw his daddy, who I played with through youth football and high school, and this conversation took place:

Me: Your boy would look good in a football uniform. 
Him: He don’t wanna play, and he doesn’t like contact or the effort football takes. 

I have heard the allegations about certain players being told that that they couldn’t play both football and basketball, and have never been able to confirm it. If anyone reading this has first-hand knowledge of it, I’d be interested in hearing it. 

Jeff Jackson is an extremely good basketball coach, and I have the utmost respect for him. His success shouldn’t be criticized because of a fall-off in the football program. 

The football program lacks what made it so competitive in the 80s and 90s—a solid feeder program. When I played youth football, we played through the 8th grade, and there were six teams in the county: three in Stanford and one each in Crab Orchard, Waynesburg, and Hustonville. 

At that time, the youth league was operated by the Lions Club and was always very well done. Youth football is now under the county Parks and Recreation department and is not well executed. 

And, while we thought the consolidated middle school, that started in 1994, would be beneficial for football, it has been the opposite. Too many kids are getting weeded out by the 8th grade, and they move on to other sports or activities. 

Basketball, on the other hand, still has grade school teams through the 5th grade and then has a very robust middle school program that has been very beneficial. Football is a numbers game, basketball isn’t. 

The next football coach needs to be involved in the feeder program, including the middle school. 

Marty Jaggers always liked to talk about Jimmies and Joes, and your X’s and O’s don’t matter without them. More students need to play football, and they need to get interested in it and stay interested. 

No one is criticizing the success of the basketball team and Jeff Jackson's name was never mentioned in my post. I said attention. 

Just my personal experience with football from a parent, more and more kids are opting to play basketball or baseball even, some soccer, for some reason kids aren’t drawn to football like they used to be, my oldest hated it, loves baseball and basketball, I think it’s the contact of the sport, some kids just don’t like it, it isn’t for everyone. I really hope one of my kids decide to play, because I love it. Lol. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, theguru said:

I am going to ask an obvious question, is there some reason Lincoln wouldn't be interested in hiring Levi Rogers as their head coach?

It’s Day-1 of the process. I don’t know of anyone who has said Levi Rogers wouldn’t be considered, offered, or even hired. I’ve only seen the mark-my-words consequences of him not being hired that have been posted here. 

Levi is a hometown hero, leading the Patriots to the 5A semifinals in 2007. His contributions are well-known and appreciated, both as a player and coach. 

Unfortunately, the district has experience at hiring a football coach, having hired five over the past twenty years, and will follow their process.  I personally think they did a good job of vetting and hiring each one during this stretch. They all were accomplished and competent, two of which won state titles after leaving (Lucas and French), and two others not becoming head coaches after leaving (Settles and Leffew). Maybe Spencer will make it three for three on head coaches winning titles elsewhere after leaving. I hope so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Seybold24 said:

Just my personal experience with football from a parent, more and more kids are opting to play basketball or baseball even, some soccer, for some reason kids aren’t drawn to football like they used to be, my oldest hated it, loves baseball and basketball, I think it’s the contact of the sport, some kids just don’t like it, it isn’t for everyone. I really hope one of my kids decide to play, because I love it. Lol. 

This is an argument for another day but in my opinion the contact aspect is brought in too soon for kids. I'd love to see flag football until about fourth grade just so kids can experience the fun. So many kids are little when they begin contact play and it scares them off. If you start contact at a later age then they are all more developed and more prepared.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Seybold24 said:

I'm not sure if he’s qualified to be a teacher maybe? I know you have to have a certain amount of college to be a teacher right? That would be the only reason I don’t see him getting the job, I know you DON'T have to be a teacher but most schools want you to be a teacher and head coach together, and who knows Levi may have enough college to be a teacher, I really don’t know that much about him personally, just the only reason I could see why they may not offer him the job, I know some schools won’t offer you a head job without teaching at the school as well. I think I would hire him, even if he wasn’t a teacher, I’d hire him regardless, especially him being from there, he’s not going to leave, it’s the best situation for both parties in my opinion.

So he is not a teacher in the school? 

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.