Open Job: Lincoln County

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until the football program is given the same attention as the basketball program it will always play second fiddle. 

I know who it will be, but I’m not telling. Lol Thought I’d be the first to post that in this thread.   

Jaggers, Goldsmith, Rogers, Cooper, Baierlein. All quality candidates. Bottom line, once a coach is selected...THE BEST THING FOR THE KIDS AND PROGRAM IS TO SUPPORT THE COACH. Many a program and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BlueRaider said:

Lincoln County has the talent to be a dangerous football team... One horse town, no independent school to pull kids... They just continue to run off really good coaches though. French, Settles, and maybe Crutchfield? I'm not saying he left with bitter or anything or that he was treated poorly. What I'm saying is until Lincoln gives its football program what it gives its basketball program or more, they won't keep top-tier coaches. They will always be a stepping stone to a better job for coaches. If they truly like Spencer and thought that he was a great coach to get behind, then they should have done everything in their power to keep him there. 

Out of those three they could’ve had what they wanted. They chose to leave trust me! 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, theguru said:

Who would be the top "Lincoln guys" that may have an interest in the job?

Two names I keep hearing from people at Lincoln were DC Levi Rogers and WRs/DBs Coach Daniel Cooper. Rogers started with Leffew and Cooper came in with Crutchfield if I understand it all. Both seem to be really well liked and respected. No idea if either will apply but that's the two names from the current staff I was told. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An intriguing name to me is Clay Clevenger, I know I know, he’s been linked to every single job in central Kentucky this offseason, but do we really think he ends up back at Danville? I mean, he has applied for things at Lincoln before, maybe if someone took a chance and grabbed him and how he was done at Danville, maybe he wouldn’t  entertain going back to Danville? Just a thought I had, I know I’d atleast reach out to him and gauge his interest, but again, no guarantees he wouldn’t leave either, I think @Hazlett72is right, need a hometown guy to come in and stick around, granted Jeff Jackson isn’t a home town guy he’s just old school, your good to me, ill make it my hometown, they have been good to him and he’s been good to them, it’s a match made in heaven lol. Either way, I’m excited to get this conversation started, hopefully this gets 30 pages instead of 29 😜.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EagleRare20 said:

Until the football program is given the same attention as the basketball program it will always play second fiddle. 

You can’t make kids play football who want to be the next NBA star. One of the current basketball stars was a man-child on the 8th grade basketball team. I saw his daddy, who I played with through youth football and high school, and this conversation took place:

Me: Your boy would look good in a football uniform. 
Him: He don’t wanna play, and he doesn’t like contact or the effort football takes. 

I have heard the allegations about certain players being told that that they couldn’t play both football and basketball, and have never been able to confirm it. If anyone reading this has first-hand knowledge of it, I’d be interested in hearing it. 

Jeff Jackson is an extremely good basketball coach, and I have the utmost respect for him. His success shouldn’t be criticized because of a fall-off in the football program. 

The football program lacks what made it so competitive in the 80s and 90s—a solid feeder program. When I played youth football, we played through the 8th grade, and there were six teams in the county: three in Stanford and one each in Crab Orchard, Waynesburg, and Hustonville. 

At that time, the youth league was operated by the Lions Club and was always very well done. Youth football is now under the county Parks and Recreation department and is not well executed. 

And, while we thought the consolidated middle school, that started in 1994, would be beneficial for football, it has been the opposite. Too many kids are getting weeded out by the 8th grade, and they move on to other sports or activities. 

Basketball, on the other hand, still has grade school teams through the 5th grade and then has a very robust middle school program that has been very beneficial. Football is a numbers game, basketball isn’t. 

The next football coach needs to be involved in the feeder program, including the middle school. 

Marty Jaggers always liked to talk about Jimmies and Joes, and your X’s and O’s don’t matter without them. More students need to play football, and they need to get interested in it and stay interested. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Seybold24 said:

Boone Goldsmith was a name I’ve heard too, was at Lincoln last year but is the JV coach at Boyle now, not sure he’d leave home for a varsity coaching position or not. 

Boone and I go way back. His Dad is a legend in Maysville. Both are great men and excellent football coaches. Besides being a great guy, Boone is a football junkie. I just don't see alot of that anymore. I like that because for a football junkie, being the head coach is not really a job. You think about it 24/7/365. Your brain is always working on it. You do the little things that head coaches must do that no one sees. You are creative and do things no one else is doing or has even thought of. You are constantly working to improve ever facet of your program. 

Another plus for Boone, he is a head freshmen coach. That is much better prep to be  a head football coach than being an OC or DC. When you have to run your own program, you learn how to handle head coach type of stuff. 

Crazy sense of humor like his Dad. Hilarious. Kids love him. He is one of Trosper's favorite people. 

Have no idea if he is interested, but would be a tremendous hire. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Mr.Network said:

You can’t make kids play football who want to be the next NBA star. One of the current basketball stars was a man-child on the 8th grade basketball team. I saw his daddy, who I played with through youth football and high school, and this conversation took place:

Me: Your boy would look good in a football uniform. 
Him: He don’t wanna play, and he doesn’t like contact or the effort football takes. 

I have heard the allegations about certain players being told that that they couldn’t play both football and basketball, and have never been able to confirm it. If anyone reading this has first-hand knowledge of it, I’d be interested in hearing it. 

Jeff Jackson is an extremely good basketball coach, and I have the utmost respect for him. His success shouldn’t be criticized because of a fall-off in the football program. 

The football program lacks what made it so competitive in the 80s and 90s—a solid feeder program. When I played youth football, we played through the 8th grade, and there were six teams in the county: three in Stanford and one each in Crab Orchard, Waynesburg, and Hustonville. 

At that time, the youth league was operated by the Lions Club and was always very well done. Youth football is now under the county Parks and Recreation department and is not well executed. 

And, while we thought the consolidated middle school, that started in 1994, would be beneficial for football, it has been the opposite. Too many kids are getting weeded out by the 8th grade, and they move on to other sports or activities. 

Basketball, on the other hand, still has grade school teams through the 5th grade and then has a very robust middle school program that has been very beneficial. Football is a numbers game, basketball isn’t. 

The next football coach needs to be involved in the feeder program, including the middle school. 

Marty Jaggers always liked to talk about Jimmies and Joes, and your X’s and O’s don’t matter without them. More students need to play football, and they need to get interested in it and stay interested. 

Agree with all of this, and I doubt Coach Jackson (at his age now) is telling kids not to play.  But, there has been an established culture/expectation that top tier basketball players for the school shouldn't play football.  That has to change for the football program to return to prominence.  

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.